The mkiv Supra Owners Club

:sobs uncontrollably:

Jake

When I got the car I kept flushing the cooling system until pure, virgin water would come out. Highland Spring.

Last flush was even done with filtered rainwater, so that even the retained water would be soft. Cleared the scum from the rad top and radcap, etc. You can never be too careful if you didn't have the car from new.

Of course this might not have prevented this particular failure, who knows...

I feel for you Jake.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I'm not. I've got an extra jug in the garage and it does the job. Got a few 5 litre bottles from mineral water and keep them full of soft, filtered water. I also use it for the water/meth tank, the other car's windscreen tank, coolant, motorbike coolant, and rinsing after the shower - leaves your hair and skin nice'n'soft, aaaaahhhhhh:limp: :looney:

It's even good for the mist in the conservatory plants (leaves no water marks on the glass):D

Just thought of something, Was the car not involved in a roll over? Was the car left upside down running? If it was then she would have been running with no oil pick up for however long until it was shut down..Just a thought thats all.

Is the water pump OK?

I don't know what happened when Rob rolled his car. Only he could tell us if the engine was running when the car was on its roof.

I assume the water pump is ok. It's undamaged externally and it's on a low mileage engine.

Really?? Hmm I must be on drugs or something. :looney: I'm sure he quoted me less than that? Didn't you promise to give him head? You should know by now....

To be honest perhaps I got it wrong. I have got the e-mail abouts here somewhere but it's on a hard-disk that's got a corrupt OS on it. Still £1566 is still alot cheaper than £1800 + VAT!

The price for the short block went up a while ago, when I got mine a few years ago they were around that price Tony.

I just can't believe your luck Jake. :cry:

I do feel for you mate, all that fcuking work and the poxy thing blows up again, I think I'd be out with the razor blades if it was me :(

As for what to do

If the car's worth, say, £10k repaired, you need to guess what it's worth with a blown engine £5,6,7k ? Subtract how much it's going to cost to repair it from your £10k and there's your answer.

You're obviously not intending to keep it (who would after that :swear: ) so unless you can either show a vast differences in the totals, it may be better to cut your losses.

These days, you can't even say that it'll be more difficult to sell as a non runner, because you can't sell the fcuking things as a going concern at the moment :taped:

Have you re-done the compression test with a dribble of oil in each bore?

If the compression jumps up you'll know that there is damage to the bores/rings. If it stays pretty much the same then you'll know all the compression loss is via the head.

Just a thought....

hey thats a pretty neat trick, never thought of that - I'm hoping I'll never need it, but handy all the same! Got to be worth a try Jake, even though you're gonna have the head off anyway at some point, at least you might have a better idea what you're gonna be facing

Basic compression testing methods ;)

Yep, basic to us who have done this sort of thing regularly in the past, but as I found out a few weeks ago, there are quite a few people on here who have never carried out any sort of compression test before.

It also wasn't mentioned that a wet compression test had been attempted on this engine and so I thought it was worth suggesting just in case it hadn't been thought of before now.