The mkiv Supra Owners Club

:sobs uncontrollably:

Jake

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats some really bad luck Jake. How many miles were on this engine? from new and since fitting, was it standing for a while before you fitted it? What did you have done to the motor before you fitted it? or did you just lob it in thinking it was a good'un?

Sorry for the Questions, but it might help nail down the cause.

How many miles were on this engine? from new and since fitting, was it standing for a while before you fitted it? What did you have done to the motor before you fitted it? or did you just lob it in thinking it was a good'un?
It's the engine from Rob Oldham's crashed car. I got it from a car breaker up Cambridge way. It had been there for about a year.

Rob said it had only just done over 30,000 miles, had had regular oil changes and was running great at time of the crash.

It was complete apart from the turbos when I got it. All I did was fit some low milage turbos from TDaxGav and put it in the car. I checked the plugs and the oil, hoovered the broken glass out from inside the spark plug cover and started her up. It seemed to run fine.

I'd only taken it out for a 10 mile test drive once because the car has no MoT.

It's the engine from Rob Oldham's crashed car. I got it from a car breaker up Cambridge way. It had been there for about a year.

Rob said it had only just done over 30,000 miles, had had regular oil changes and was running great at time of the crash.

It was complete apart from the turbos when I got it. All I did was fit some low milage turbos from TDaxGav and put it in the car. I checked the plugs and the oil, hoovered the broken glass out from inside the spark plug cover and started her up. It seemed to run fine.

I'd only taken it out for a 10 mile test drive once because the car has no MoT.

Did you see the engine before it was pulled from Rob's old car? Was the coolant system intact for the year that the motor was laid up?

I ask because if the coolant system was open to atmosphere for that long then the coolant remaining in the block would evaporate off and the Glycerine in the antifreeze would start to crystalize and form blockages in the narrower passages of the water jacket.

Even when a breakers yard drains a system (like there supposed to according to current legislation) there's no garantee that some coolant isn't retained with-in the block, they normally just remove the bottom hose from the rad (or put a knife through it).

Just a thought....

(which is largely immaterial as none of that above actually helps you to get your car fixed)

I'm just trying to decide what to do now. Do I strip the head off myself and see if the pistons and bores are damaged, or do I send the car to somewhere like CW or Phoenix and ask them to do it?

I really don't fancy taking the stock turbos off just so I can pull the head but being unemployed I've got the time.

If it turns out to need a rebore, new pistons, bottom end, etc etc it's going to be hugely expensive but what can I do? I can't scrap a ten grand car. I'm guessing the chances of me finding another VVTi engine are about zero.

Bloody cars.

:banghead:

I'm just trying to decide what to do now. Do I strip the head off myself and see if the pistons and bores are damaged, or do I send the car to somewhere like CW or Phoenix and ask them to do it?

I really don't fancy taking the stock turbos off just so I can pull the head but being unemployed I've got the time.

If it turns out to need a rebore, new pistons, bottom end, etc etc it's going to be hugely expensive but what can I do? I can't scrap a ten grand car. I'm guessing the chances of me finding another VVTi engine are about zero.

Bloody cars.

Go for it mate. Will be cheaper to pull the head off yourself rather than taking it somewhere and paying an hourly rate.

Bloody cars.

Tune the cods of it ...good excuse to build a sweet lump. ;)

Tune the cods of it ...good excuse to build a sweet lump.
I don't want to tune that one Mig, I want to sell the sodding thing. It was going to be put up for sale once it had passed its MoT.

I was just reading this thread by Foodfreak. It seems that he's had a new short engine fitted by Phoenix. Does that mean the VVTi uses the same short engine as the pre-vvti? If so that'll make it a lot easier for me to find another lump.

I wonder how much a new short engine costs and how much Phoenix would charge for fitting it.

You can buy a brand spanker from MVP and have it delivered for approx £1300. To buy one here from Mr T is £1800 + VAT
Seems it's a little more than £1300 actually Tony. Dusty quoted me $2329 + $399 delivery. Thats $2728 or £1566 at the current exchange rate.

Really?? Hmm I must be on drugs or something. :looney: I'm sure he quoted me less than that? Didn't you promise to give him head? You should know by now....

To be honest perhaps I got it wrong. I have got the e-mail abouts here somewhere but it's on a hard-disk that's got a corrupt OS on it. Still £1566 is still alot cheaper than £1800 + VAT!

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear about your troubles. That makes me want to upgrade my Radiator Pronto. I'm still running my NA Radiator. I figured I'd wait till it blew and just keep a close eye on the Temps, but aparently there was no Warning signs. So do you think it was the HG Blowing first, or the Heat from a bad radiator that caused the HG to blow?