The mkiv Supra Owners Club

:sobs uncontrollably:

Jake

I'm in my 1998 VVTi, on my way to Graham S's garage this morning for my MoT. Cruising along off boost , about 80mph on the m27. Put my foot down a bit to pass some traffic but hit what seemed like fuel cut. Didn't worry too much because the car doesn't have a FCD at the moment. A couple of miles later I noticed that the car seemed to be losing power. Squeezed the throttle a little but it sounded rough, so backed off again and started to worry.

Then the yellow oil level warning light and red triangle light both came on. The gauges look OK, water temp normal. Now I'm really worried.

I slowed a bit as I started looking for somewhere to pull over. The warning lights turn off again.

About a mile further along I see a suitable spot and pull over. As I come to a stop the engine died. Opened the bonnet to see this :

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/764/200511122resized3pq.th.jpg

It looks like the radiator has boiled over. The engine was red hot and there was some smoke rising from the cam covers.

I'm going to do a compression test shortly but I'm pretty sure it's lost compression, judging by the sound of the engine when turning over.

I guess if I'm lucky (yeah,right) it'll 'just' need a new head gasket.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the engine looked abnormally red hot, then worst case scenario is that it may all be fecked. Bearings, head wrapped, the lot.

But you said that your water temp was normal, so WTF?

Maybe you got lucky, I wish you the very best mate.

edit: just saw the pic.

Was the expansion tank empty?

Well the plugs look fine. No burnt/missing electrodes.

But there's very little compression.

#1 --- 75 psi

#2 --- 35 psi

#3 --- 40 psi

#4 --- 45 psi

#5 --- 55 psi

#6 -- 100 psi

So at the minimum I guess the head gasket has blown, badly. The head is most likely warped as well.

The thing is, how can I tell what other damage has been done? How do you tell if the bottom end is screwed as well?

The oil level is fine and looks like new.

Well the plugs look fine. No burnt/missing electrodes.

But there's very little compression.

#1 --- 75 psi

#2 --- 35 psi

#3 --- 40 psi

#4 --- 45 psi

#5 --- 55 psi

#6 -- 100 psi

So at the minimum I guess the head gasket has blown, badly. The head is most likely warped as well.

The thing is, how can I tell what other damage has been done? How do you tell if the bottom end is screwed as well?

The oil level is fine and looks like new.

Without doing a leak down test ( need the tester) which will show you if the rings are ok as well as highlight the area of compression loss ie gasket, valves, rings ..cracks ect ect . The only way you are going to know if the bottom end is trully safe is a visual inspection. With luck on your side it's gona bee major HG ..but to loose that much comp across most of them cyls i fear banana head or worse ...i so hope not for you as you dont need this luck ..only time will tell. Fingers crossed its not bore/ring damage.

Sorry to hear that mate :( thats really gutting. What was this noise you mentioned that made you think it was more than just a blown HG? maybe that might give us more of a clue. Most often HG blows in one place doesn't it? if the connectors melted on the sparkplugs, must have got pretty damn hot. Any chance the dash temp gauge may have shot up but you didn't notice and then come back down as coolant was lost?

Thanks for the commiserations guys :thumbs:

What was this noise you mentioned that made you think it was more than just a blown HG? maybe that might give us more of a clue. Most often HG blows in one place doesn't it? if the connectors melted on the sparkplugs, must have got pretty damn hot.
I can't really describe it as a noise, you know when you can feel that it just isn't running smoothly?

I've replaced the melted coilpacks now with some spare ones I had (from the last engine I blew up :D ). Not sure why I bothered with that really though.

Without doing a leak down test ( need the tester) which will show you if the rings are ok as well as highlight the area of compression loss ie gasket, valves, rings ..cracks ect ect . The only way you are going to know if the bottom end is trully safe is a visual inspection. With luck on your side it's gona bee major HG ..but to loose that much comp across most of them cyls i fear banana head or worse
I think the head on my other engine is OK. The block on that one certainly isn't - there's a couple of melted pistons and scored bores, but the head looks undamaged and the car didn't overheat when it went bang.

So I guess the head needs to come off first and then take it from there, right?

I might just get Phoenix to do it, Teresa will kill me if I start taking the engine out again.

....or maybe I should give the car to Thor for a v8 conversion :idea:

I think the head on my other engine is OK. The block on that one certainly isn't - there's a couple of melted pistons and scored bores, but the head looks undamaged and the car didn't overheat when it went bang.

Get it checked anyway to see if she is true.

So I guess the head needs to come off first and then take it from there, right?

Yup Or if you are getting tierd of musical engines Pheonix is one option.

maybe I should give the car to Thor for a v8 conversion :idea:

Damn you must have/had one good job. money to burn ...any vacancies going ;)