The mkiv Supra Owners Club

e-manage ultimate probs?

RobAce

You've broken it already :faint:

Where did you wire it in, before or after the EMU? Good luck for Thursday, I'll be crossing everything!

ps. I've still have a couple of the injector adpaters here if anyone else needs one, I also have a brand new Emanage Ultimate looking for a home for Christmas at a special price :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I t'd into the injector wires on the fields harness between the stock ECU and the point where the wires are cut to go off to the Ultimate. I'll get a photo of my fields harness tonight and annotate it, it's got so much stuff on it it's getting hard to lift now lol

-Ian

Fields harness pic attached. Not as scary as it looks, honest :D

EMU trials tonight were "interesting". I appear to be datalogging the right duty cycle and the right durations for an idle but I had to pull a bit more airflow signal out to get it into closed loop and I had to use the water temp correction map to make it cold start properly by taking out 20% duty up to about 40degC... Bizarrely the fricker idles at 1000rpm even when warm, even though the datalogs compare almost exactly to the Blue E-Manage ones which idled at 750rpm. Same manifold vacuum, same duty cycles, higher rpm :blink:

It could be because I had to take power off the stock ECU to fit it, effectively resetting the ECU, and it's self learning again but with the Blue this was a simple matter of revving it three times or so. It's also rougher. It idles rougher and when revved up it's a bit iffy and when held at 2500rpm it seems rough. Again, may be a combination of the cold weather and the ECU reset but I'm not jumping for joy just yet.

-Ian

fieldsharness.jpg

Well, the real hindrance at the mo is that I have nothing to compare it against so I'll bung the Blue back in tomorrow evening and datalog it from cold to warm and some throttle blips as well, and sustaining revs, from this I'll have something to compare against.

I'm still not even sure if the addon adapter thing has made a difference. I think it must have because I recall not even being able to start the bastard without it because it ran so rich, even with -50% airflow it was troublesome. Now it'll start and run but lumpy because it's 9:1 afrs unless I pull 20% duty. Hm.

I don't care overly if I have to remap more than I thought I would, but first I want to know WHY it behaves differently, otherwise I'm shooting in the dark. I also want to know why it feels rougher...

-Ian

Well, the cold start overfuels massively still :( And I can't explain why the warm idle runs at 1000rpm instead of 700rpm. Plonked the Blue back in and everything is as peachy as it always was. No idea what's going on but that injector adapter doesn't seem to have changed a thing....

More news as and when.

-Ian

Edit - the wierd thing is, is on the datalogs it's the *stock duty cycle* that is too high. Like, twice as high. So why would the stock ECU double the duty just because the EMu is in instead of the EMB? Also why would it run rougher at warm idle when the duty cycles are the same?! And on top of that, why would the EMU run at 1000rpm when it's got no control over the idle? Madness.

Chipmunk (George) should be getting his mapped at the moment by someone. It could be worth getting a copy of his map to study perhaps, if all is well?

I have a spare full EMU setup here, at this rate I may say b*ll*x to it and get it fitted on mine by my guys :idea:

I'm up for any ideas at the moment. Even being able to compare behaviour to another unit would be useful.

I've got some test ideas but it's below zero outside and I need the car over them xmas period so I can't really do much - which is incredibly annoying because it's bugging me.

-Ian

This is what I love about this place.... watch in wonder at you guys nutting out a problem, then once all sorted I can decide if its a goer for mine.... thanks in advance Ian BTW!

p.s. Charlie, I might have to blag a test ride in yours sometime after its done....

Anytime Doc! :)

Well terawua you'll be pleased to hear I lasted all of 1.5 hours before getting pissed off enough to have another stab at it, and I found that:

a) I'd pulled too much fuel in the water temp correction map, causing the engine to race

b) you need the latest firmware, v1.09

Then everything........

works :D

In fact thanks to the water correction map my cold start is now pretty much stock. Fantastic! I can't test jack all else though as it's snowed here lol. I need a clear bit of time on decent roads to check the fuelling and the timing, but suffice to say it starts, warms up, idles, revs up and holds just as smooth as the E-Manage Blue did. Better in some respects now.

Happy bunny :)

-Ian

Seeing as you are smiling now Ian (nice one btw) :), just wondered - I really wanted to get the ultimate as you can do everything the blue did, plus raising the rev limit - will you be doing this (have you already done it?) and what would you raise it to if at all?

I haven't tried an upped rev limit a) parked in the garage or b) in the snow, no :p :D

But once I've verified that the map translated across from the Blue works OK then it's one of the two main things I want to play with. I'm only gonna go from 6800 to 7200 as the VVTi's run up to 7200rpm as stock with no visible internal differences according to those who've pulled the engines apart. It's *not* as simple as dialling in a new upper rev limit, there is some serious datalogging to be done beforehand in order to set it up, but if it works then this is going to be a real USP for the E-Manage Ultimate. No other piggyback that I know of can up the rev limit...

The other fun thing is launch control, and no, I haven't tried that down my snow-infested driveway either ;)

-Ian

if it works then this is going to be a real USP for the E-Manage Ultimate. No other piggyback that I know of can up the rev limit..

-Ian

This is my point exactly.... I was always interested in the greddy setup, in terms of price and support and that rather nice looking greddy profec e-01, but the option to raise rev limits means I wont even entertain an aftermarket ECU - I cant see the need now...

James

:respekt: Ian, well done mate :clap:

James, I have a nice shiney full EMU setup here looking for a home for Christmas :D

ps. the E-01 is not compatible with the EMU yet I believe, hopefully GReddy will launch a new boost controller/controller that is very soon :ecstatic: