The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil catch can

GavinL

No discounts the U.K. supplier sells for 48.95 +vat+shipping, They said they make too little to give group buys. Black ones in stock but a 6-8 week wait for the clear units. Gavin i didnt make your cut off time but can you let me know the total cost from the U.S. and if you get hit by customs.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by mos

No discounts the U.K. supplier sells for 48.95 +vat+shipping, They said they make too little to give group buys. Black ones in stock but a 6-8 week wait for the clear units. Gavin i didnt make your cut off time but can you let me know the total cost from the U.S. and if you get hit by customs.

Mos

You can have first refusal on my spare black jaz oil catch can, £40 plus postage.

There is only 1 problem I can remember from college with venting your crankcase, that being that all the micro particles of oil leaving your breather will end up all round the engine bay, they tend to gather around your plugs because the oil has particles of metal in it and the high voltage generated in and near the plugs attracts the metal and hence the oil by magentism.

When this deposits itself on the plug you can get whats known as corona discharge or"flashover" where the metal that has built up on the porcelein of the plug contucts the spark away from the proper route down to the electrode.

This may not become apparent straight away but it will over time, I personally think its better to just clean out your breathers every once in a while, it doesn't take long and if you change oil regularly then you shouldn't get a build up.

The oil in mine has been changed every 6 thousand since it was new I have a service book full of stamps, my breathers are clear as a bell.

I wouldn't fancy a coating of oil and smell of a mechanics boot under my bonnet.

But this is just my opinion..

• 5 months later...

Well people, another old thread to resurrect...

Where are all the breathers on the 2JZ, anyone know off hand. At the moment its too late for me to go and look under the bonnet and i can't remember. Is it just those from the cam covers?

Anything specal/complicated about 2JZ breather system or can these be directed straight to a catch can via some hose.

Anything to push the detonation threshold away!!

Dan

Originally posted by dandan

Well surely any oil in the intake charge will have the effect of decreasing the octane of the fuel mixture. Hence det limit increased albeit by a small amount by removal of that oil mist.

Yep i agree :thumbs:

Would be interesting to see the affects of this on a hybrid car running 1.5bar.

:flame Dev

Sorry guys I don't agree. Firstly, all engines with closed breather systems (which you may as well read as ALL engines these days) are designed to have a certain amount of oil in the intake system. The oil-laden crankcase gases have to get re-routed to a low pressure area to make sure they don't get expelled to atmosphere. The best place for this is by routing it into the intake system. Between the air filter and the throttle body for WOT and just after the throttle body (via a flow restrictor) for part throttle.

If you really are pushing enough oil up into the top of the engine or intake system to make you worry about diluting the intake charge then I would be more concrened with the state of your piston rings than detonation.

Also, the worst case for combustion gases blowing by the rings and trying to pressurise the crankcase is high engine speed with no load, i.e. off boost so you would be out of the detonation danger area anyway, If your rings don't seal when the engine is on load, then they'll probably leak even more when you aren't.

Well it looks like there are four breather hoses on the camcover itself. I'd go outsde and find the other end of them now but it's too dark :cool:

There should be some connection between the crankcase and the cam cover as well, but this may be internal to the castings for both parts and an integral part of the engine design.

breather.jpg

Cheers Darren

I've just been too lazy to go out and have a proper look under the bonnet, plus it's been bloody cold here these last few days. I suspected the crankcase may be vented throught the casting to the cam covers but thought i'd see if anyone knew otherwise. I'll have a nose around tomorrow to see.

Also (Again not looked yet so could be totally wrong) but if the breathers were fed to intake before I.C. then this may add to the oil film on the inside of the core - just a thought.

Yeh they're nice looking alright. Bit out of my price range at the moment though after xmas!!!

I fabricated one for my last car that certainly did the job and looked tidy enough in the engine bay.

Peeing down with rain here now so can't even go out and have a look under the bonnet!!

Wez: Your inbox is full