The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil catch can

GavinL

I have been thinking about getting one of these for a while, (see the article below) so I tracked down a supplier in the US that does a cheap but effective catch can that is confirmed to work successfully with the Supra.

http://cjsupra.kendra.com/PCV-Can.html

I will be ordering one early next week unless anyone gives me a good reason why I shouldn't (not being all shiny is not a reason)

tia

Originally posted by Paul E

Gavin

Hang on till my supplier has sent me the prototype of our new one - yes it's shiny!

Week I think

Cheers

paul

I don't like shiny stuff, I can't be arsed with all the cleaning.

This can is about £40.00, how does yours compare?

Thanks

I did ask about bulk purchase discounts but they weren't very interested :( Just a saving on the shipping.

I will double check but I'm sure they will come to £40.00 each plus a couple for the postage if anyone's interested.

Im interested, i will probably get one of those, looks better than most in my opinion. Please let me know how you get on. I have filters fittted at the moment and cant stand the smell of oil that sometimes comes out and gets sucked into my fan intake. Are you going to modify your PCV vv as it operates on vacumn, i stripped mine down and removed the spring and plunger.

Originally posted by mos

Are you going to modify your PCV vv as it operates on vacumn, i stripped mine down and removed the spring and plunger.

errr...no idea, I just give it to Leon and he installs it :D

Hopefully CW will comment on the whole subject :)

Guest Usmann A

I was told by some guy with a big power gtr, that only cars running big boost, and big hp only need it, it wont be necessary on ceramic/BPU cars, as they dont spit out oil as much as heavily modded engines.....

Dont know meself, just pure advice I was given from another owner at Option.

All i know is from my own experiance i stripped down my intake and it was thick with sludge, after fitting my filters you can actually see the smoke coming out so i wouldnt say its only big boost (im N/A). Its not only the oil its the vapour cooling down again.

Guest Usmann A

Mos, dont know much on the subject,just thought Id say what I was told by another person.

Which by coincidence (sp) was about oil catch cans...although a very interesting topic, good to see the outcome.

Originally posted by mos

All i know is from my own experiance i stripped down my intake and it was thick with sludge, after fitting my filters you can actually see the smoke coming out so i wouldnt say its only big boost (im N/A). Its not only the oil its the vapour cooling down again.

Mine were pretty messy too!

Cant really see an arguement against using one - apart for a few quid for a trick look - and another preventative measure just in case!

:thumbs:

I will be ordering one of these for myself on Wednesday, it will be a one off order as I am not a trader and have no financial motivation for doing this or plan on holding any stock.

If you would like me to get one or more for you please contact me at my email address below, I believe they come in black or translucent, hopefully I can get your choice.

[email protected]

Originally posted by mos

All engines with closed breather systems (i.e. all modern engines) are designed to have a certain amount of oil recirculated into the intake. As undesirable as this sounds it is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

It does sound like you had a tad more than the average (a coating on the inside of the manifold / intake tube) but now you have fitted your filters, where is the smoke coming out of, exactly? Where do the filters fit.

IMHO an external oil catch can is something to be avoided unless you know you are having oil surge / carry over problems (a puff of blue smoke from the exhaust on lift off, hard cornering, braking or accelerating.

Just playing :devil: advocate. :cool:

Filters are fitted directly over the crank covers where the breather hoses normally sit, when the engine is hot after hard driving its directly out of the filters the smoke comes from, in fact i have to clean the filters regulary as they get really dirty.