The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bastard car won't start :(

carl0s

"click" "click" "click"

My battery is in very poor condition, but I don't *think* this is the problem, because I have had the charger on it for the last half hour.

This has happened a few times lately, and very strangely, mashing the accelerator pedal a few times has allowed the car to start.. sometimes it sounds very tired like the battery is weak, then it's fine. It's almost as if the engine is too stiff and mashing the accelerator helps free it up.

Hmm. Except today, where nothing I do will start it, and I am here with a suit and tie on, with oil on the sleeve :angry:

Help, please!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check earth cables for corrosion. Also Alternator connections.

My dying starter on the kit did this. I gave it a smack with a hammer and it was ok. Obviously needed replacing at that point.

Probably is the battery tho' as Gaz suggests - go and get a new one!

Yeah check the connections for corrosion and if on tight enough. I've never had a problem but the other week when getting some new tyres i had nothing from the battery, just enough for the imobilser. Had a look and they had some corrosion crap on them and were slightly loose. Cleaned them up and tightened them up and touch wood nothing since.

Well the good battery made no difference. After much pissing about and messing with starter connections, it 'nearly started' a few times (really sounded like a tired battery, but I know this one is good), then it started.

I will be checking the earth and starter motor connections when I get home later.

cheers

Well it's been fine all day. Started up about three times so far and hopefully once more shortly. You wouldn't beleive the earache I got for borrowing the battery from the un-taxed un-insured N/A that's sat on my driveway and won't be being touched until tomorrow :rolleyes:

"how do I know you've not swapped the engine". "will it not damage the battery, since yours is not a Jap-spec".. "really pissed off". "knew you'd start taking things off it".

I won't be charging for fitting the RSR tomorrow, or the heater matrix or electronics I've fixed.

Anyone want a gobby bird?

Well it's been fine all day. Started up about three times so far and hopefully once more shortly. You wouldn't beleive the earache I got for borrowing the battery from the un-taxed un-insured N/A that's sat on my driveway and won't be being touched until tomorrow :rolleyes:

"how do I know you've not swapped the engine". "will it not damage the battery, since yours is not a Jap-spec".. "really pissed off". "knew you'd start taking things off it".

I won't be charging for fitting the RSR tomorrow, or the heater matrix or electronics I've fixed.

Anyone want a gobby bird?

lol, well we'll just have to say what Mr Garage guy says tomorrow. I'm sure he'll know if you swapped over the brake calipers, engine etc ;)

lol, well we'll just have to say what Mr Garage guy says tomorrow. I'm sure he'll know if you swapped over the brake calipers, engine etc ;)

Oh yeah well I didn't think you'd notice or even mind if I swapped your brake discs and calipers for mine after all I drive my car a lot more than you and being a UK it is a bit more worn.

Hey guys, guess what I had to fork out for today?::swear:

A BIG BEAUTIFUL BATTERY!

My car woudn't start this afternoon whilst I was out shopping and I thought I had immobilised the alarm. After much delibertation with very helpful staff at Motorworld they solved the problem by testing my battery, which was as flat as a pancake . Upon connecting the tester, the car started like a rocket.

I guess this "need to replace" has nothing to do with Carl0s borrowing my battery for use in his vehicle?:eyebrows: