The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Englishman, Irishman, Scotchman...

michael

Well just a couple of Irish chaps actually but it's definate Darwin material:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=665857

In summary - Man covers hole in floor with wood to stop people falling down it, next day he needs a bit of wood to cover a different hole, spots original bit of wood but forgets why it's there, lifts it and whilst moving it to new hole, falls down original hole in a Laurel and Hardy style.

Well just a couple of Irish chaps actually but it's definate Darwin material:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=665857

In summary - Man covers hole in floor with wood to stop people falling down it, next day he needs a bit of wood to cover a different hole, spots original bit of wood but forgets why it's there, lifts it and whilst moving it to new hole, falls down original hole in a Laurel and Hardy style.

I think you forgot to mention that the bloke paid for his mistake with his life.

In which case it kinda loses the comedy for me.

Yeah, he lost his life, but what a way to go. Sorry if it offends, but that is utterly hilarious. I can see Eric Sykes doing that in my mind's eye.

There was another one in the HSE press releases recently about a young lad who was burned to death at an independent workshop/garage (can't remember where). He and his boss were emptying an oil drum full of collected petrol, oil and fluids into a larger container for disposal. To avoid fumes they went outside onto the forecourt to do this, however they stood to one side just below a neighbouring property's boiler flue. The boiler fan sucked the petrol fumes into the boiler and the whole thing erupted. The poor lad died in hospital, and the owner was severly injured, but got his crispy arse handed to him on a plate by the HSE.

I have to admit, I'm not sure I would have recognised the danger there.

What I said was, "I think you forgot to mention that the bloke paid for his mistake with his life."

You even replied, recognising that "The article mentions it clearly."

So what you failed to mention, I found in the article.

You supplied the information via the link, but you failed to mention it yourself when presenting the story as a joke.

Like I said, if he'd just hurt himself, it would have been hilarious. This sort of comedy I love, when it's comedy.

It would be really funny, but since the bloke actually died as a consequence it's more tragic than anything, how could anyone be so careless?

There's a lot of deaths in Construction and they are just that, careless and needless deaths.

I once had a roofer trip and fall off, luckily into the nets under the steel. He said it was my fault for designing an inboard gutter, but I tend to think if he's up on a roof standing on the edge, try and be a bit careful, look wear you put your feet, it's your life at stake here.

Reminds me of the story I read in the paper of a woman that was doing a parachute jump for charity. She jumps out and straight onto..... a helicopter!

I was young at the time (no defense) but found the whole scenario highly amusing. It's the freakiness of it that's funny, not the loss of life.