The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where can I learn Plastering ?

China Man

Hi,

I am fed up with my job and I really want to do something I enjoy.....

don't laugh! I enjoy plastering, I did my house 2 years ago and although nowhere near the standard needed and it was hardwork but I enjoyed it.

I have thursday and weekend off every week and wonder where I could learn. I found a few places that do Weekend 2 days course or 5 days course but I am really looking more into working and learning kind of arrangment i.e. weekend helper etc.

Anyone?

China

Walls are OK but ceilings!!!! Kills your shoulders:D Plastering is not something you can keep doing longterm believe me. Good money if your good but like brick laying takes its toll on your body as you get older. Apparently resin floor coverings will be the next "needed" craft.

My old man is a long term plasterer has been since he was 14. It is a damn taxing job though. Very good money though. When he was working up at the new terminal at heathrow he reckoned he was pulling in £300 a day :) Must have been doin OK as he paid his mortgage off in 2 years. Its funny really as at the age of 15 I quit my apprenticeship with him and took up aircraft engineering as I didn't think there was any money in plastering now look at it £300 a day to my paltry £115 bah humbug

yeah, solid plastering is what I want to do and if anyone know plasterer who can help me then it will be great.

I won't give up my day job but I am determine to see it through. I did my walls and celline in my double living room and yes it is hard work for the body.

I enjoyed every bit of it tho :p

China

hhmmm interesting, i have been thinking about something like this, was gonna go for either plasterer or vinyl floor fitter. in my old job i used to use a sub-contractor to work on all our modular buildings and lay vinyl, we paid him £4 a square mtr to level the floor with screed and £3 a square mtr to lay the vinyl! and that was with us supplying the materials. (he was the cheapest i could find in the area too) some money to be made there!

oh and would really love to learn to spray cars. too