The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where's my oil going?

JamesArup

Hey all,

My car seems to be drinking its' way through a scary amount of oil at the moment. :cry:

Every 3/4 weeks or so my oil warning light flashes on, and sure enough when I check, the oil is right at the bottom of the dipstick. Last time round I had to put almost 2.5 litres in to get it back up to the MAX level. :complain:

There are no patches of oil under the car, so I don't think it's leaking out (certainly can't smell it in the car). There is also no white smoke coming out of the exhaust that I can see. I do get a bit of black smoke on WOT, but I know that I am running rich.

I'm not sure where all this oil is going, but it's starting to worry me now. I am assuming that if the turbo(s) were dying, I would be seeing white smoke? The car has only done 60,000 miles (6 speed TT - RZ) so the engine isn't that old.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be happening, or any ways that I can troubleshoot the problem? :giveup:

Cheers, J :clap:

Cool ... I'll have a look in there as soon as I can. Would this not cause any white smoke from the exhaust?

I'm secretly hoping that it's a turbo problem and not something more sinister inside the engine. Turbo's can be replaced relatively easily compared to a knackered engine :drown:

Cheers, J

Hey all,

My car seems to be drinking its' way through a scary amount of oil at the moment. :cry:

Every 3/4 weeks or so my oil warning light flashes on, and sure enough when I check, the oil is right at the bottom of the dipstick. Last time round I had to put almost 2.5 litres in to get it back up to the MAX level. :complain:

There are no patches of oil under the car, so I don't think it's leaking out (certainly can't smell it in the car). There is also no white smoke coming out of the exhaust that I can see. I do get a bit of black smoke on WOT, but I know that I am running rich.

I'm not sure where all this oil is going, but it's starting to worry me now. I am assuming that if the turbo(s) were dying, I would be seeing white smoke? The car has only done 60,000 miles (6 speed TT - RZ) so the engine isn't that old.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be happening, or any ways that I can troubleshoot the problem? :giveup:

What's the engine spec, I assume it's no longer on stock turbos?

My crank seal is leaking but not leaving anything on the deck, just sits on the underside of the car and I'd guess it just burns off when the car is hot.

What's the engine spec, I assume it's no longer on stock turbos?
No No ... totally standard in there ... nothing has changed as far as that is concerned. As far as I know, the internals are standard (unless something was added in Japan that I don't know about). I have an SBC ID3, S-AFC etc etc, but I tend to run max boost at 1.1 ...... but I VERY rarely go that high. On average I will peak at about 1.0 bar, so I'm not really pushing the turbo's. This is why it is such a worry for me as I really don't think I 'push' the car that often!! :tongue:

Thanks for the advice Branners, I'm going to check the I/C pipework and the undertray this w/e for any signs of oil.

Thanks for the help,

A little update: -

I checked the FMIC pipework and there isn't a huge amount of oil in there at all. There was a little bit of residue, but certainly nothing that would explain the loss of 2 litres of oil in under a month.

I also checked the undertray. Again, no evidence of oil leakage at all. All seems perfectly normal under there. Also checked the driveway after the car was not moved for 2 days ..... not a drop of oil to be seen :thumbs:

I did notice that the fat 'breather' pipe (i think that's what it is?) about halfway down the rocker cover seemed to be covered in oil. It was noticeably wet with the stuff infact :read:

I'm starting to worry that my oil loss may be something more sinister inside the engine!! :eek:

Anyone else got any more theories?

Cheers, J :thumbs:

• 3 months later...

Have you had any more developments on your oil consumption prob?

Noticed you said you checked your FMIC pipework, just thought it might be worth mentioning that when i took my actual FMIC off the other day (which has been on approximately 18months) i found at least half a litre of oil had collected in the actual intercooler core as i had expected some oil to come out so i left it propped up on its side overnight to let the oil drain out and was greeted with a nasty looking puddle the next day.

As the FMIC is pretty much the lowest point of the IC system i would have thought due to it density most of the oil would work its way into there, just thought it might be worth checking that not sure how many litres a FMIC can hold be must be a few.

Probably an oil catch-tank might have helped in this case.

I'll see if later this week I can take pictures for a convenient setup for a stock supra bay (singles etc tend to have more space available)

The aim is to have high oil retention (from the mist), high throughput and low pressure drop, without interfering with the bay airflow if possible. So long breather hoses are not ideal.

Would be interested to see that John as I couldn't decide on which Oil catch tank to purchase (still running stock twins so limited space).

After concidering the possiblity of det caused by oil migaration, as a last minute "bodge" before i went to Jap Show Santa Pod end of last year i knocked up a oil catch tank using an empty Pentosin 1litre tin can and some garden hose! (pls dont laugh too much)

Due to the oil vapour stentch in car i was getting from can venting into engine bay i added a vent hose which runs under the car.

Anyway i think the last minute bodge has outstayed it's welcome so need to make a decision on whever to purchase a proper catch tank kit or am also interested to somehow keeping the original system but vent through a filter before returning to intake pipework, opinions on this????

..as a last minute "bodge" before i went to Jap Show Santa Pod end of last year i knocked up a oil catch tank using an empty Pentosin 1litre tin can and some garden hose! (pls dont laugh too much)

... need to make a decision on whever to purchase a proper catch tank kit or am also interested to somehow keeping the original system but vent through a filter before returning to intake pipework, opinions on this????

you're right that this external venting is a bodge.

Toyota have the driver's side crank vent going to the intake, and that's where it should be. That's where there is vacuum under high engine load and we don't want to lose that.

But we want to separate the oily crap before it enters the intake, that's for sure.

Tomorrow I expect delivery of a catch tank that should fit just under the intake hose (coming from the airbox). 15mm hose endings, and it's not too far from the vent points, so pressure drop shouldn't be an issue.

I will probably be able to fill it with kitchen scourers, making it better in solidifying the airborne oily crap.

We'll see how it works though...

Hi guys,

Car is still off the road at the moment being repaired/resprayed etc. But the front bumper is also off, so I may get my guys to take the IC off and check for oil then. The FMIC hasn't come off for the 2 years that I've had the car .... possibly longer.

I did buy a catch tank a while back, but after wandering around the engine bay for about an hour I could find absolutely NOWHERE even slightly plausible to put it: -

PICCY

Cheers, J :thumbs:

my eyes *hurt* :p

I've got the airbox and mine is also UKSpec, with all the EGR crap, cruise control and what have you. Hard to find space in there.

But the one I've ordered should fit just right (it is cylindrical like a coffee jar, which managed to sqeeze in there). Ideally we also want the endings to be facing the 'right' way and we want the level indicator to be visible too. Tall order, but it may work.

There ya go

It's not 100% finished, but you'll get the idea

Ha just bought one too. Good spot John and great install guide. How often do these things need emptying?

Isn't your 90 degree connector technically a 'kink'?

Did you have to decrease the ID of the pipework to 12mm because the oil outlet pipes from the car are smaller than 15mm?

I'd like to get stainless braided hose on mine.

Cheers

Justin

Ha just bought one too. Good spot John and great install guide. How often do these things need emptying?

whenever they're full, lol...

if you see the level indicator half-full, then give it a clean.

Isn't your 90 degree connector technically a 'kink'?

no, a kink seriously disrupts airflow. A 90degree connector is no problem if the hose lengths are as short as these and it is 15mm ID.

I didn't want a longer but smoother bend because as the engine rocks around it could interfere with the bonnet, the fan, who knows...best play it safe and keep things short and tidy.

Did you have to decrease the ID of the pipework to 12mm because the oil outlet pipes from the car are smaller than 15mm?

yes. up to the connectors it's 15mm, then 12mm.

Everything tight and nice.

I'd like to get stainless braided hose on mine.

Bling at the expense of risking abrasion and damage?

No thanks.

I also made now a nice bracket (modified B&Q item:D ) so no cable ties involved!

Thank God mr T has various drilled unused threaded holes in the engine bay. Very convenient.