The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance as a young Driver

GeorgeM2000

I'm Currently 18 and have been able to get my grubby hands on a 1993 N/A Auto Supra. Fairly Stock with only a few modifications ( Wheels, Side skirts, Head Unit and an aftermarket Front Lip) non of them being in the engine, which I don't plan on changing. 

And It seems that I wont be able to get insured anywhere for a while. Any recommendations on who to go to, and what to say? 

I want to use the car as a daily driver and will most likely be insuring it once I'm 19 with 1 years driving and NCB under my belt. 

Willing to pay a chunk for insurance but I'm struggling currently to find somewhere which will insure me. 

Any help is massively appreciated. George,

When I first got mine I was on Admiral, it helps if you still live with your family and can put it on the multi-car deal. I was 23, I think it was about 1100 per year.

But insurance in general keeps going up and up because we keep adding more car thief gangs to our population and the police don't act against them.

At least you have plenty of time to fix any issues with the car before you start driving it. Check for rust behind all of the plastic sill trims. And if you're going to daily drive it be sure and wax the cavities and underside.

• Like 1

Ah ok I'll see if I can do that with a parent as it will be difficult to insure purely under my own name. And Yeah insurance is silly as a young driver. And yeah I want the car to be top notch and all boxes ticked before I take it on the road permanently. 

Thank you Mc92.

It might be the car rather than your age that is the problem as insurers know that getting body parts for these cars is near on impossible these days so just about any reasonable bump claim is going to be a potential write off. 

When I was a wayward youth I'd always check out insurance first before buying a car, it'd usually give me pointers what to buy. The scariest quote I ever had was £5k for a Sierra Cosworth, so I settles at the time instead for £300 against a Mk3 Supra Turbo.