The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! Mot Failure!

Kevin Huntley

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Bobbeh

Have you thought about putting the stock air box back on?

I think thats the next thing I am going to try, that and replacing the stock BOV.

I have read a few articles on Supraforums and when ever there has been a post about a car running rich it seems to have an HKSBOV fitted, so I am a bit suspious, maybe they don't work to well on the UK cars with the MAF sensor!

Fingers crossed!

I will also look for loose pipes while I am at it, but my boost readings seem about normal on my Apexi boost gauge!

Thanks

Originally posted by Kevin Huntley

I think thats the next thing I am going to try, that and replacing the stock BOV.

I have read a few articles on Supraforums and when ever there has been a post about a car running rich it seems to have an HKSBOV fitted, so I am a bit suspious, maybe they don't work to well on the UK cars with the MAF sensor!

Mine runs perfectly with one.

I would go with the leak theory. I have seen my car with a boost leak being measured with a Motec wideband and it ran way off the mark, really rich.

Originally posted by Martin F

I wonder if your HKS BOV is leaking air, i.e. not closing properly.

Has anybody adjusted it for you ?

I concur, a vac leak before the AFM will cause it to run mad rich, and boy, it IS mad rich :-) BOV or piping to it are likely candidates, as is the EGR stuff, which needs ripping off anyway

Thanks for the advice guys, I spent about 2 hours checking every hose in the engine bay to see if they were loose or split and I came up with nothing! I have swaped the HKS BOV for the standard unit and I will take it to get the emissions tested again on Tuesday.

I have noticed there is a slight fluttering noise every now and again coming from the BOV could this be a sign that it is not operating correctly!

Thanks

Manual says in order to check if co and hc are high

restricted air filter

faulty sfi system

faulty fuel pressure requlator clogged fuel return line

defective ect switch

faulty ecm

faulty injector

faulty throttle position sensor

faulty air flow meter

The ect (water temp sensor) is what causes most problems on the audi a6 and i know ours are completely different but it might be worth a try, if you want i can give you test specs to try on different sensors. Good luck.

OK, guys I switched the HKS BOV & Pipework for the standard BOV and pipework and took it to a different garage to have the emmisons tested guess what? It failed again so its not that:(

I also had an argument with the Aon Warranty group today who are trying there hardest to get out of paying for the work! They said I had gone over the permitted mileage and guess what I had by 122 miles! Anyway I got home and decided to go through my paperwork and discovered that after renewing my warranty last year the expiry milage on my 2003 certificate was exactly the same as my expiry on my 2002 certificate so they had forgot to increase the mileage by another 10,000 miles. I rang them up and pointed this out and they said to get the garage to call back tommorow and they will approve the repairs, we will see :devil:

Hope my car is back on the road soon, this getting traumatic:(

Thanks

Kevin

Hi All, just to update you I have had a rather frustrating weekend. I met up with Michel (who also owns a UK spec car, for those of you who don't know). We tried exchanging a few parts and we have now ruled out the PCV valve and the MAF sensor, we also looked for any visible boost leaks.

I did however notice that if the car was left idoling for fifteen minutes the engine note would change and a small amount of black smoke started to come out of the exhaust (maybe when the fan kicked in). I also noticed the car seemed to be missing when held at between 2-3000 rpm. Has anybody come across these symptoms before?? or does this thro anymore light on the potential problem??

I am going to try exchanging the EFI water temp sensor next to see if this is causing the car to run rich.

PS. This is Kev's girlfriend typing this for him cos he is so sick of typing himself now, can somebody please help he is driving me nuts!!! : )

Thanks

Hi Kev, sorry to hear your still having problems. Seems like we all are at the moment, this suspension/rear knock thing is really starting to *** me off now like! Iv'e been without the car now for nearly 2 weeks!!!!!!! Driving around in an Astra Coupe is soooo boring!

Anyway i'm getting Simon to check the problem out on tuesday so hopefully it'll be sorted soon.

Hope yours gets sorted soon mate, then we'll have to have a meetup

Paul

• 7 months later...

Hi Dan, heres what I posted on another thread at the time about the same problem:

""Right the problem was Ignition feed to the ECU which had been severed and was down to two strands of wire, this was causing the ECU to receive less voltage than the 12 volts necessary to operate. As the ECU has no way of flagging up a light for this problem it could not be detected by Toyotas diagnostic equipment. As the ECU was not getting the correct power it was not performing correctly which resulted in the emmisions problem.""

""The probale cause appears to be through the wire been probed to test it for one reason or another which is normaly fine to do with care but someone was obviously been a bit enthusiast when probeing this wire resulting in the said damage.""

I ended up paying to have the problem fixed as oppose to a warranty claim.

You can find out more info on the problem on this thread ""Every sensor has been tested on the car and ruled out two things left, Opinions?""

Hope that helps

Kevin