The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! Mot Failure!

Kevin Huntley

Please help guys! I have got my car in for its MOT today and its failed on emissions. The guy at the garage says my Lamba reading is 1.08 and it should be > 1.03 and my CO reading is 0.60 and it should >0.30 He says the car is running rich!

Just so you know I am fully CW decat with Blitz stainless steel exhaust, HKS EVC IV boost controller and Apexi air filter! I am also using Optimax and have been using millers recently but not at this fill up.

I have had just the rear CAT replaced for the MOT. The guy say's he is going to put the front cat back on as well and give it another go but he does'nt think that will make any difference!

Any ideas!

Thanks

Kevin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Martin F

Kev when was the last time the spark plugs were changed ?

Just thinking that if there were quite old the spark may not be quite so strong and things may not be igniting as they should and causing problems with the emissions. Only thing is that if you had that sort of problem i would have thought you'd of noticed it in driving by now.

Originally posted by Jap Exotics

Told you that shed would never pass the MOT! ;)

Only j/k mate :D

Gaz

If you had not been off sunning yourself in Exotic locations I would not have to be going through this trauma!

Kev when was the last time the spark plugs were changed ?[/b]

Hi Martin, I have never changed the plugs since I owned the car which is 3 1/2 years now. I was told they were good for 60,000

miles.

I am changing them at this service though! When he took the car around for the test this morning he had not changed the plugs. So hopefully now he will caryout and complete the service and then go around for the re-test.

Fingers crossed it will pass!

Just been back on to the Garage and there going to keep the car overnight! I thought it was a bit ambitious doing an MOT, Timming Belt and service all in one day!

It is due the re-test in the morning so we shall see how it gets along after the service and ecu re-set!

They also forgot to mention that the rear fog light also does not work! I have never used the foglight on the car so how does it work? and before anyone says it dose'nt work because you have JAP spec lights on it I changed them back to the UK lights for the MOT.

Any ideas what could be wrong, b4 Toyota attempt to rip me off!

T/C fuse won't be affecting my emmisions, or will it?

Originally posted by Kevin Huntley

They also forgot to mention that the rear fog light also does not work! I have never used the foglight on the car so how does it work? and before anyone says it dose'nt work because you have JAP spec lights on it I changed them back to the UK lights for the MOT.

Button to the right of the steering wheel with the foglight logo on it? ;)

Gaz.

Just been back on to the Garage and there going to keep the car overnight! I thought it was a bit ambitious doing an MOT, Timming Belt and service all in one day!

I don't think its too ambitious .............................

but it is a nice night for a drive.............

get parked outside there garage make sure they dont go for a blast.

or check mileage.is there not no mot freindly stations.

i thought it a bit weird them reving car to warm cat up when i had mine done.my car had been on for 40 mins when i got mine done last year.i was even helping mot bloke testing brakes and lights out when it was on the rollers.

there will be ways round things

mine from last year with blitz nurspec and blitz middle de cat

fast idle test

speed 2350 2650 /min

co 0.3 (limit) 0.07 % (actual value)

hc 200 ppm (limit) 13 ppm (actual value)

lambada 0.97 1.03 (limit) 1.00 (actual value)

natural idle test

speed 550 750 /min

co 0.5 %vol (limit) 0.02 %vol (actual value)

Originally posted by dudersvr

Kev

what year is the car ?????

john:flame Dev

Hi John the car is a "96" N reg.

Kevin, how much Millers did you use, and was it in the tank when you put the cat back in? A Millars overdose can kill a cat. [/b]

Hi Phil, I put 2 bottles of millers in the fill up before last but I ran it right down so the light was on and nearly empty before filling it up this time!

I going to give them a ring now and find out whats going on, I will have to go up there myself and try and sort it out if it still does not pass!

I would'nt discount them going for a spin in it either as last time there was money left on the rear seat and I never carry passengers! So looks like the took the whole showroom out for a spin in it!

Thanks for your help guys

I would'nt discount them going for a spin in it either as last time there was money left on the rear seat and I never carry passengers! So looks like the took the whole showroom out for a spin in it!

:mad: :twak: :angry:

I have not had this but, would be well pi$$ed if I found out!

I always clear my Peak settings on my boost/EGT gauges before it goes in and make a note of the mileage when I park up.

Not that I don't trust them or anything.......

Originally posted by Peter Sharp

:mad: :twak: :angry:

I have not had this but, would be well pi$$ed if I found out!

I always clear my Peak settings on my boost/EGT gauges before it goes in and make a note of the mileage when I park up.

Not that I don't trust them or anything.......

As part of the service schedule they are meant to take the car for a test drive so It is difficult to avoid it really! Although the last time I was there it was only in for an alarm unit exchange so quite why they needed to take it for a drive is beyond me!

I have just spoke to them now and they are in the process of fixing the fog light now and then they are going to take it round for another go at the MOT, Fingers crossed! If they charge me something like 2 hours labour @ £40 odd quid an hour to fix my fog light I will be well p**sed off!

You can request they dont take the car anywhere...

I would be well pissed if there was people out in the car (esp more than just the mechanic). See how far they went, if its more than a couple of miles, really kick off and see how much discount you can get.

Gaz.

Just spoke to the garage and they have taken it around for the MOT emmisions test again and its failed again! They carried out the full service replaced the spark plugs, and reset the ECU. They have let it warm up but it still failed. They still only put the rear CAT on!

I have told them to do the voltage test on the Lambda sensor to see if thats knackered!

Next thing to try if the Lambda sensor is not knackered is to replace the front CAT and try that!

Anyone got any other ideas what could be up as I am just about out of things to try!