The mkiv Supra Owners Club

anyone running stick on plates at the front

SUPRA4EVA

3 hours ago, mc92 said:

I was under the impression that these aren't technically legal so you might get a talking to if you run into a particularly petty policeman.

As long as its the same size and font. I was under the impression its fine.

13 minutes ago, Noz said:

As long as its the same size and font. I was under the impression its fine.

"requires the plate to be fixed—

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,"

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/regulation/6/made

Maybe, maybe not, considering OEM plate holders are naturally vertically mounted. As is typical with most laws it comes down to vague wording so they can get you if they feel like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mc92 said:

"requires the plate to be fixed—

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,"

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/regulation/6/made

Maybe, maybe not, considering OEM plate holders are naturally vertically mounted. As is typical with most laws it comes down to vague wording so they can get you if they feel like it.

Good find mate.

Maybe it is down to judgement if it's unreadable etc or just unsuitable.

I've got a plate flipper on the front. Way easier than trying to dodge guidelines.

• Like 1

The issue with stick on plates is that they often won't comply with the required British Standards.  Currently BS AU 145d, shortly to change to BS AU 145e.

I think there are some manufacturers who claim to be able to meet these standards.  If the are willing to put their name on the plate and the appropriate ref to the British Standard then they should be road legal.  If not, then they aren't legal.