The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Main Warning Light

JamesArup

Hey folks,

Been reading around on the subject, but still can't identify what my problem is. The main warning light in the middle of the rev counter has suddenly starting coming on after a few minutes of driving (i.e. about long enough to get warmed up).

I know it's not the brake fluid, as I had that issue before and filled it all up to the brim. Been looking at the soldering around the other warning lights, as there is nothing else coming on with the warning light. One question I had was that my car only has 4 lights, but it looks like there is space for 5. My guess is that this is a standard PCB and that 5th slot is used for cars with airbags? But I wanted to check that I'm not missing a light somewhere. You can see the spare slot in the attached photo, to the left of the other 4 diodes.

For some reason I can't seem to get the fault codes to work, but I'll keep trying that one. The car is fitted with a Syvecs S7i, and the Voltmeter and Oil Pressure gauge on the toucan display screen don't register at all. But my DEFI pressure gauge does show that everything is fine. I don't remember if the digital ones ever worked though, only just noticed now!

Can the warning light come on for something like brake pad wear? Slightly worried that it could be an oil or water temp thing, due to when the light comes on. But the water and oil temp readings seem fine!

Any help or advice would be great!
Cheers

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-27 at 17.33.58.jpeg

light cluster.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys! Still searching at the moment!

Definitely not low brake fluid. I've had that problem before over the years, so it was the first thing I checked. I should be able to check if the Syvecs has stored any errors, but it's certainly not an area of expertise for me. The paperclip method doesn't seem to be doing anything at the moment, but will keep trying!

Cheers

Ahh, the problem with the fault codes seems to be that my main engine warning light doesn't work, even though it's all been re-soldered, so I can't see what it's outputting with the paperclip trick. I am out of the UK at the moment, so this is all being looked at by my Dad, who said:

"Can't figure out the abs or random main warning light, keep coming back to various ecu's, Can't code read fault from flashes as unable to get engine warning light to work, again seems to go back to an ecu. So we have no engine warning light, abs light permanently on, and main warning light coming on randomly."

Does anyone with a Syvecs know if I can check errors via the Syvecs software? Is it possible that the ECU has a record of what these errors could be?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

James, you are in Surrey aren't you? I have a original toyota diagnostic tool, I bought it ages ago as a piece of nostalgia! not even sure I've tried it on my car but will try to tomorrow and see what it reads.

I am indeed in Surrey, in the Windlesham/Chobham area! Oh wow, an original diagnostic tool, that sounds cool. I'm not going to be able to get back to the UK any time soon (urgh, covid), but my dad is clearly having great fun messing about with my car.

It will be very interesting to see how the tool works and what it tells you about your car! Let me know! 

Cheers!

16 hours ago, Scooter said:

got the tool to work Friday but manic day and the car's under a cover so getting home for the weekend 'won'! so will plug it all in Monday and post up the results.

Awesome! No rush! But good to hear that the tool works! 😃

Oh wow! That's great! Proper bit of retro electronics there, I love it!

That would be amazing if you have the time to pop over at some point. I'll give him a shout and see when etc might be good. But he'll be there 99% of the time anyway, so I'm sure whenever it's convenient for you will work.

I'll let you know what he reckons! Thanks again!
Cheers

True! be interesting to see what it still picks up if anything engine wise.......presume the ABS and Airbag stuff will read as normal but like you say engine code wise we might be struggling, the main warning light is coming on for something despite being on the syvecs (do the syvec inbuilt warnings trigger the main light too normally?) so worth a try?

This is true! I do indeed have a Syvecs in the car. It's why I was asking earlier on in the thread if anyone knows if I can use the Syvecs software to read any faults?
I have no idea whether the Syvecs would throw up the main warning light for any reason, or if that's coming purely from the original systems somewhere.

I guess it might be worth a try to see what happens! But I don't want to waste any of your time if it doesn't work! My Dad told me that he's basically available whenever is convenient! He's just not around tomorrow, but that's all.

Thanks again! Appreciate the help.
Cheers

Well pm me a Postcode and I'll see how far it is, it'll only take a few mins of driving and checking one day after work, be interesting to see if it gets any readings, the wires to the Diagnostic port might simply not connect to anything anymore.........I can try from the engine bay socket too just for completeness.

19 hours ago, JamesArup said:

This is true! I do indeed have a Syvecs in the car. It's why I was asking earlier on in the thread if anyone knows if I can use the Syvecs software to read any faults?
I have no idea whether the Syvecs would throw up the main warning light for any reason, or if that's coming purely from the original systems somewhere.

I guess it might be worth a try to see what happens! But I don't want to waste any of your time if it doesn't work! My Dad told me that he's basically available whenever is convenient! He's just not around tomorrow, but that's all.

Thanks again! Appreciate the help.
Cheers

I’ll be honest the aftermarket ECUs scare the bejesus out of me, I have one fitted but wouldn’t be brave to fiddle with mine, that’s what I paid the mapper for. Have you contacted your mapper to see if they can help? 

You could try contacting Mike, he knows a lot about the Syvecs - https://www.mkivsupra.net/profile/3348-mike2jz/

20 hours ago, Scooter said:

True! be interesting to see what it still picks up if anything engine wise.......presume the ABS and Airbag stuff will read as normal but like you say engine code wise we might be struggling, the main warning light is coming on for something despite being on the syvecs (do the syvec inbuilt warnings trigger the main light too normally?) so worth a try?

Not sure in all honesty. My thinking is the Toyota tool will run a Toyota software to work with their ECUs. If the OEM ECU is gone, they probably wouldn’t be compatible. Like trying to get Apple software to work on a Windows machine.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

I think it may read the SRS Airbag and ABS codes but not the Engine stuff?  Really not sure how the Diagnostic ports link to or through the ECU, ie 'perhaps' the diagnostic port picks up the signal direct from sensors not through the ECU, but really I'm clueless on all this so just have to see what happens, I don't really know fully how to use the tool yet!