The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Refurbishing Window/Roof Trim

JamesArup

Hey folks,

Has anyone done a refurb on the window/roof trim before? Mine is looking very tired and worn, and it's bringing down the overall look of the car, as you can see in the attached photos?

Pretty much all of the exterior trim around the car is in the same sort of state, so I'd like to either refurbish it, or replace it with new trim if it's available. I believe this part specifically is called the Roof Drip Moulding, or something like that!

Also, does anyone know how to remove this trim safely? I can see what looks like a metal clip when I look down inside the "gutter", but I'm reluctant to start hacking away at it without knowing exactly how it comes out!!

Cheers!

James

20200723_114256.jpg

20200723_114305.jpg

Hi James,

I haven't personally removed mine yet (it's on the list), but when I looked at the part diagrams there appears to be 18 screws that hold it in, so you'd need to remove the rubber seal first (I believe this just pulls off as the part diagrams only quote clips at either end and I know there is adhesive). Hope this helps, hopefully someone who has removed them can chime in to confirm.

640265D.png

750281.png

Edited by m12aak
Removed double post (see edit history)

Mask it up properly, give it a light rub with some fine wet and dry paper and then give it some light coats of satin black paint thats suitable for use on plastic. Ive done this before on MR2 window rubbers and they came up like new. The only bit i wouldnt advise doing is the rear window surround as the plastic is not the kind that the paint will take to unless you do a fair bit of prep first and you really need the glass out for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Mask it up properly, give it a light rub with some fine wet and dry paper and then give it some light coats of satin black paint thats suitable for use on plastic. Ive done this before on MR2 window rubbers and they came up like new. The only bit i wouldnt advise doing is the rear window surround as the plastic is not the kind that the paint will take to unless you do a fair bit of prep first and you really need the glass out for that.

Great, thanks all .... where are people ordering OEM parts from these days?

It looks like I'm going to have to have the rear screen out soon anyway! Some builders from the house next door dropped a hammer off the roof! It hit my car, chipped the paint and left small dents in 3 places! The quote to fix and repaint it is about £1500 because they have to paint half of the car to get it to blend properly! And they are paying for it, of course :sly:. So at the same time, I thought I would get those window surrounds cleaned up as they are a mess!

Thanks again,

Cheers!!

Hi James,

That sounds annoying, but at least you'll benefit from it on their dime!

I recently did a large order from Amayama, as I'm having the sills welded on my NA, so I bought all new clips, screws and the sills themselves. However, i've just had a look and they only seem to have the LH roof drip side moulding, so it's not much help on this occasion, but I'd bear Amayama in mind if you need anything in the future.

It's also worth speaking to your local Toyota parts dept, and Keron from Extreme performance to see if he's got any of the parts. Failing all of that, at least Mike has found a place to get 3 out of the 4 bits!