The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rust

Dan8

While doing my NA-T build and had engine Stripped and box removed I decided to future proof the car a bit and restore it.

Basically removing everything underneath and getting sup frame treated and painted and replacing bushes and lines as I go along of course this was totally unplanned and the build is running away with me a bit now :blink:. Anyways I used this auto shell as it was solid underneath for its age and sills where really clean as where all the main structural points and usual spots for corrosion to set in and just converted everything over from my crash damaged rear ended manual and ditched all the auto running gear.

Anyways am pleased I decided to take it all apart and fettle it a bit as even though the putter sills where super clean the inside has light surface corrosion setting in. I removed the side pods and then went about unbolting and removing the rubber air duct ing from pods to rear wheel arch. FFABA5DB-8321-4422-A99B-35DDDFA65A62.jpeg and also rear door card and front inner arch trim. 8D4079E2-1758-4D63-B8D1-00EB801610B8.jpeg This gave me full access to the completed inner sill where I could see the light surface corrosion and am pleased I did this as I reckon if left untouched it would of eventually took hold and rotten her from the inside out as the outside is all treated painted and under sealed. I then used a wire brush attached to a flexible bendy rod to clean the rust from inside and blown out with airline. Then I mixed the Furtan rust treated into a spray gun with long reach nozzle and went about spraying the inner sills and chassis.C7BF8203-B05E-4417-A6EA-53EB00F6E995.jpegACE20C71-F9A8-4B2F-97C2-44D7D4890748.jpeg580E8909-2CD0-4811-9363-813E3235652B.jpeg and left it a few days to take hold.

I Then cavity injected all accessible areas and went about spraying some Por-15 into it all and wasn’t shy with it :D

E85A26D5-48F8-4622-82A5-E42ECAF99597.jpeg 3EADECBC-7A39-425A-8A5E-5F1998583E3A.jpegC3BF4B9E-E4D2-4DE7-A08C-09B85655C00C.jpeg66539117-AB0D-42F8-98AC-B8F6A0932D6E.jpeg

Hopefully this will address it and hold it at bay for a few more years just thought I would share this as even though the sills can be in great condition outside might be worth a look inside to.

First thing i did when i got mine was similar to this only rather than taking it all apart i used a long flexible lance that sprays in a 360 degree pattern. The sills are really important to do as its usually the weak spot on the body of the Supra like most cars. I really could do with removing the rear pods and double checking in there, how do they come off?

First thing i did when i got mine was similar to this only rather than taking it all apart i used a long flexible lance that sprays in a 360 degree pattern. The sills are really important to do as its usually the weak spot on the body of the Supra like most cars. I really could do with removing the rear pods and double checking in there, how do they come off?

By rear pods, I assume you mean the air ducts? If so, it's really easy - there are a few 10mm bolts underneath and then two clips along the rear arch lip (a plastic trim removal tool is useful here!) and then the top is held in by 'pop clips' so you just gently pull along the top and it comes out. The rubber duct itself is held in by 4 screws on the side of the car and 6 10mm's on the other end in the wheel arch.

If you're referring to the rear 'hockey sticks' it's also dead easy - there are three phillips screws in the arch (along the lip) and then I believe one 10mm bolt (then you pull toward the front/back of the car (I can't exactly remember which way) and it'll slide off the remaining clip.

What I've found helpful in the past is to look at the part diagrams (as they show all of the fastenings) so I get an idea of where everything is before I go pulling stuff off. (see below for the part diagrams showing the air duct and hockey stick - I recently had to order all of the clips as i'm having my sills replaced as they were too far gone - unlike the OP's)

610898B.png

750281 .png

m12aak described it exactly how I did it. Once you unscrewed and unbolted all the hard wear holding it all in place you can then remove the plastic ducting that diverts the air through it by squeezing it slightly and drawing it out through the side of the car not through the wheel arch. I had OEM side skirts and spats meaning removal was slightly different to get to it as I have no side air ducts or hockey sticks but same principles.

Bit messy but beats fab and welding it. Thanks for the positive feed back.