The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra - Progress so far, next steps and build thread

Peter P

Loving the progress on this

any before pictures of the arch ?

Thanks Matt. :thumbs:

Don’t think I have any of the drivers side rear arch, have asked Matt to snap a photo of the passenger one as and when he can get access to it. Being black you didn’t really notice much from the outside, but the lips were rolled really poorly and the paint was all cracked causing the lip to bubble and rust. You could really feel it when you ran your hand round the arch. I’ll pop up a photo of the passenger side when I get it as seem to recall both were bad/similar.

Here’s a shot of the passenger rear arch, hard to see clearly as it’s black, but if you zoom in you can hopefully make out the waves and paint chips/cracks etc. I’ve asked Matt to get some better shots when he actually starts working on that side as it’s parked up against the paint booth, so not easy to access. ;)

A469C119-F707-4DD2-B122-A51860B8537F.jpeg

So had a text from Matt this morning asking me to pop down so he could show me something with the car. Naturally I agreed as any opportunity to see it and the great work they are doing is a no-brainer! :)

When I got there the look on Matt’s face told me this wasn’t going to be good news, but what he found when they were fixing up the drivers side rear arch has shocked all of us to be fair. :cry:

Not so much the fact the car has clearly been in a rear end shunt (the paint was wavy and looked odd in this area when I first got the car so had asked Matt to look into it for me given we are doing some work nearby on the aerial delete and also the arch work), more the half-ass job someone did repairing it! Car was full of filler and the point they chose to weld in a replacement panel makes no sense whatsoever! :(

Matt will be able to sort this for me to the best extent he possibly can, but no guarantees it won’t become an issue again at some point in the future sadly.

Just hopeful this is the worst of it and there are no other Frankenstein repairs hiding anywhere else on the car! :rolleyes:

Good news is the arch work looks spot on and a million times better than it was before. :thumbs:

443C6D25-A7C1-49CA-BC57-088BA26DAAB2.jpeg

928B5D04-6E58-4EE6-9443-2FE32DB04E77.jpeg

4A77135A-73A0-421E-B4CF-3DFFD3732960.jpeg

312E2A3A-4621-435B-BFF2-4E5943DEF86F.jpeg

D82AA72D-B723-4FA8-9C30-132277731887.jpeg

That's rough - I guess that's just the reality with a lot of Supras nowadays as they're 20+ years old in most cases and have likely had a little shunt in the past.

At least it's now in good hands, and will get sorted properly. Fingers crossed it doesn't give you any issues in the future.

My NA is currently getting some welding done, and when they were going to blend the paint in the same area on the passenger side, they sanded into filler that hadn't fully cured yet, that was soft enough to pick off with your fingernail! Makes me wonder what they must have been thinking, similar to that repair on yours!

Thanks Izaak. :)

It is the reality I guess given the age of these cars, just really odd they chose to add the quarter where they did rather than up at the rear quarter glass. Would have been a much better place being the thinnest point and would have prevented the high spots they did welding it mid quarter like they have. Matt will no doubt get it looking as good as he can, just a setback we could have done without to be honest! :(

Just shocks me that people cut corners like this for the sake of spending that little bit more time doing a proper repair.

Anyway, fingers crossed that’s the worst of it and things start to flow and move forwards again without any other unwelcome suprises! ;)

is it not worth fitting a new quarter panel

Fair question which we did discuss briefly at the shop earlier. Not sure if you can even buy new quarter panels these days? If so, guessing they won’t be cheap! Alternative would be to get a secondhand panel from someone like Keron, but we may end up with another one that isn’t good and still needs work.

Would certainly prefer a whole new quarter if I had the option though. :)

Fair question which we did discuss briefly at the shop earlier. Not sure if you can even buy new quarter panels these days? If so, guessing they won’t be cheap! Alternative would be to get a secondhand panel from someone like Keron, but we may end up with another one that isn’t good and still needs work.

Would certainly prefer a whole new quarter if I had the option though. :)

Definitely not cheap but worth it, don't Whifbitz sell them for around £700

Thanks Izaak. :)

It is the reality I guess given the age of these cars, just really odd they chose to add the quarter where they did rather than up at the rear quarter glass. Would have been a much better place being the thinnest point and would have prevented the high spots they did welding it mid quarter like they have. Matt will no doubt get it looking as good as he can, just a setback we could have done without to be honest! :(

Just shocks me that people cut corners like this for the sake of spending that little bit more time doing a proper repair.

Anyway, fingers crossed that’s the worst of it and things start to flow and move forwards again without any other unwelcome suprises! ;)

Yeah, that would have been a much smarter repair for sure! It does baffle me, but I guess most Supra's were worth about a third of the price 10-15 years ago, so it seems people spent 1/3 of what a proper job costs!

Definitely not cheap but worth it, don't Whifbitz sell them for around £700

Yeah they do, about £720 inc vat, but probably worth speaking with Mr. T before pulling the trigger, hopefully it'd be a tad cheaper. I'd be surprised if it was less than £500 though :( , they're £400 from Amayama in Japan excluding shipping and taxes!

I’ve put the feelers out for prices and lead times as guessing no one will have any in stock, so will be coming from Japan.

I’ll speak to Matt tomorrow and see what he thinks, probably will want to go for a new panel, but does mean he will have to re-do the lip roll etc and decide if he wants to replace the whole panel as looks like it goes up past the rear quarter glass.

Gutted to see such a big issue like that, when we took my last supra back to baremetal we found a similar repair. Luckily we worked out it was done in japan as the repair work was perfect and was done proper. I would be changing the whole 1/4 tbh, it will set you back and be a PITA but least then you know its done proper dude!

Gutted to see such a big issue like that, when we took my last supra back to baremetal we found a similar repair. Luckily we worked out it was done in japan as the repair work was perfect and was done proper. I would be changing the whole 1/4 tbh, it will set you back and be a PITA but least then you know its done proper dude!

Thanks Alex. :)

Must admit wasn’t expecting to see this but agree would probably be best putting a whole new quarter on it. I’ll speak to Matt tomorrow and see what he wants to do, doubt he’ll say he’d rather keep the existing one, but it’s him doing the work so I’ll let him know I can get a new quarter and see where we go from there. :thumbs:

I’ve put the feelers out for prices and lead times as guessing no one will have any in stock, so will be coming from Japan.

I’ll speak to Matt tomorrow and see what he thinks, probably will want to go for a new panel, but does mean he will have to re-do the lip roll etc and decide if he wants to replace the whole panel as looks like it goes up past the rear quarter glass.

It goes up past the quarter glass so you have the smallest panel join possible, only way to do it imo

ATB

It goes up past the quarter glass so you have the smallest panel join possible, only way to do it imo

ATB

Thanks fella. :thumbs:

Spoken to Matt, he’s figuring out the added labour costs to replace the full quarter as will mean more work and extra paint as well. Still think this will be the best option, just added expense I could have done without as the bill wasn’t exactly cheap before! :rolleyes:

Still, I’ll keep you posted and thanks for the input. :)

Afternoon All.

So had a good chat with Matt this morning, we are going to replace the rear quarter and also the rear crash bar which had been cut on the passenger side presumably to make the rear bumper fit properly after the shunt. Does mean more work and cost, but will be worth every penny in my opinion. I’ve ordered the parts from Paul at Whifbitz, so once he receives them I will head over to collect as don’t fancy entrusting the shipping to a courier, especially after they did so badly with my bodykit when I ordered that. :rolleyes:

I’ve also asked Matt to let me know what he’d charge to sort out both doors as the paint isn’t great (probably years of touch up’s), so might as well do them whilst we are at it! Means car is basically having a full respray bar the engine bay.

Not expecting to get the car back now until at least February, but that works well for me to raise the extra funds and allows Matt to take his time and get the car done properly, so we both benefit. :)

Think plan will be to turn the car around and start on the passenger side rear arch whilst we wait for the new quarter and rear crash bar to arrive.

I’ll post updates as and when I have more news. :thumbs:

Cheers for now.

Pete :)

Glad to see you’re both agreeing for the better option of replacing the panel bud. Least you know that it will be done proper and to a high standard along with the rest of the work. At least you’ve got a decent time frame in order to help cover the extra costs involved and nothing’s rushed like you said :cool: I will look forward to seeing it all finished and then seeing what you’ve got planned next for it :)

Glad to see you’re both agreeing for the better option of replacing the panel bud. Least you know that it will be done proper and to a high standard along with the rest of the work. At least you’ve got a decent time frame in order to help cover the extra costs involved and nothing’s rushed like you said :cool: I will look forward to seeing it all finished and then seeing what you’ve got planned next for it :)

:yeahthat:

Couldn't have said it better myself! All the best - hopefully there are no more surprises! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!

:yeahthat:

Couldn't have said it better myself! All the best - hopefully there are no more surprises! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!

Cheers Chaps, 100% right decision and thankfully Matt was very accommodating with working to my timetable so I have the time needed to secure some more cash to cover the extra work. Given I have no intention of selling this one, it’s worth doing right and getting the car looking it’s best. May delay some of the other work I had planned, but know it’ll be worth it. :)

Just pray Matt doesn’t find anything else that’s major like this, but time will tell I guess. Got everything crossed! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

So couple of quick updates, the new rear quarter and rear crash bar have arrived with Paul over at Whifbitz, hoping to get across next week to collect them along with the carbon exhaust shroud and carbon rear number plate garnishes I bought. :)

Also had an update from Matt at MH Bodywork who have pressed on with the paintwork and primed the front end. Check out those panel gaps, Matt has really done a great job getting this all buttoned up and looking great! :cool:

Hopefully more progress soon.

Cheers.

Pete :)

D4352139-A3C5-4E32-BEE1-8077C919A225.jpeg

3BF6B2BE-89A3-4577-ABEB-51951A75E1E8.jpeg

B3982B66-4970-4690-BF10-CFD255707A34.jpeg

E4C0186F-6629-4483-8BE7-464308E6AFFF.jpeg

Afternoon All.

So managed to make the long trek over to see Paul at Garage Whifbitz to collect the nice new rear quarter panel. Also picked up the new rear crash bar, one of his carbon exhaust shrouds and a set of the carbon rear number plate garnishes. :)

There was no way we were going to get the box from the quarter panel in my poor little Auris, but unpacked and padded out with some bubble wrap it fitted like a glove! Lol. ;)

Here’s a couple of photos when I dropped it off with Matt at MH Bodywork. Matt seemed very pleased with the new panel so fingers crossed it’s all speed ahead with no other nightmares or setbacks! :rolleyes: ;)

A2B8544A-0967-460E-8F70-9775D35B6E41.jpeg

AB862F3D-D932-4940-B009-B6441C2F2259.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon All.

Had another update today from Matt / M H Bodywork.

Car is coming along nicely with the passenger side sill all straightened and stone chipped with the new Ridox half carbon side skirt now installed as well. :)

Few photos that Matt was kind enough to send over.

F2F1022F-8EB6-4A25-BA68-8162787CA374.jpeg

E0C2A4C0-9CD6-48CC-94B8-8B3D1F04C8D1.jpeg

3ABA22B6-77CE-44AC-8720-15DA0572A6D6.jpeg

9A4A51A7-42B6-4449-A5E6-66368307E1F5.jpeg

53BB28EF-6431-483F-87DE-2ACBFC7BB930.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Morning All.

Few new photos from Matt / MH Bodywork yesterday.

Turns out the passenger side rear quarter also appears to have been replaced, thankfully this side was done properly, so no need for another new panel! ;)

Door was a lot of work according to Matt, he reckons there were at least 8 layers of paint! No wonder it was looking wavey! ;)

Still a long way to go, but happy with the work and results so far. :)

D03BE783-E23B-4559-BD33-0950D5EFE4BD.jpeg

5239D73D-F439-42BF-BCEF-6FB3A23F919A.jpeg

3078F32E-9AD0-478C-B81B-2258EE77E05F.jpeg

62B2B682-BFEE-4C59-87CE-48829329A89E.jpeg

CFD484B7-29AC-4616-8D6B-5E38B77450F0.jpeg