The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering vibration issues.

Stock.supra.98

When driving over 60mph the steering wheel starts to vibrate. I thought it was a case of balance issue or discs but I've had that checked, and they are fine.

But then realised the front lug nuts are constantly loose only on the front left wheel. It's tightened to the same spec as the rest of the car.

So should I change the hub and if so wheres the best place to get one?

Or is there something else I've missed or need to check?

Thanks!

The car is a NA J Spec.

Edited by Stock.supra.98 (see edit history)

I'd be taking a close look at the nuts and studs, do they all come loose on that wheel ?

Does the wheel need spigot ring fitted ?

Have the nuts been over tightened and stretched the threads

I was thinking of changing the Hub just in case the threads stretched, but I'll give the spigot ring a go as well. Any recommendations?

Does it need a spigot ring then ? whats the bore size on the wheels you have fitted ? should 60.1 mm

Have you checked the wheel bearing is ok

You can just replace the studs rather than the whole hub but i'd check them first, get the wheel off and try the nuts on the studs to see how well they fit, screw the nuts onto the stud where they actually start to tighten the wheel, that is where the thread will be stretched, use a nut off one of the other wheels.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I'd be taking a close look at the nuts and studs, do they all come loose on that wheel ?

Does the wheel need spigot ring fitted ?

Have the nuts been over tightened and stretched the threads

I was thinking of changing the Hub just in case the threads stretched, but I'll give the spigot ring a go as well.

But I'll have a look and see if anyone has removed the hub threads with a how to.

You dont need to change the hub, can get studs from Toyota. Maybe the tyre is out of shape? Wheel out of shape?

I had a similar issue with my BMW 640d, turned out to be a bent rear wheel, which was balanced perfectly but was actually not round causing vibrations in the seats at high speeds. I'd check your front wheels to ensure they're the shape they should be.

Had a friend who bough some cheap, shitty JR Racing wheels, had the same problem, vibration at speed but balanced OK, turns out the wheels were just cheap and shitty, badly manufactured. Got his money back

Luckily my car was still under warranty, and although BMW's knee-jerk reaction was to deny liability, a strong worded letter of claim to its executive complaints department yielded a prompt change in its initial position and the wheel was replaced under warranty.

I had a vibration problem with steering shake following a set of new wheels and tyres. I had all the tyres refitted, swapped over and, in total, balanced 6 times on 3 different machines - they always balanced perfectly but still the vibration/shake. In the end it turned out to be a defective Goodyear tyre from new. I got a new set of tyres last year, problem solved. The vibration problem appeared around 70 mph, so it would seem that tyre balancing machines don't spin the wheel up that fast - I seem to recall about 40 - 50 mph?

I've had the tyres changed from Firestone (came with the car) and changed them to Goodyear and that's not fixed anything. But the tyres needed changing regardless

Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow so i can check if theres any spigot rings on the front 2.

BUT: you guys that have replace your studs, you remove the brake calipers, disc. do the studs come straight out or is there anything else in the way?

Check the studs first, use a nut off one of the other wheels and screw it on,see if it feels loose on the stud.

If it isn't then no need to replace the studs, you can also check nuts off the corner your

having a problem with on another corner too

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hey all, sorry it's been a while. But just not had a chance till now.

So I've had a look, taken the front O/S alloy off to check if I have a spigot ring and there isn't 1. Checked the Alloy brand website and they have a center bore of 73.1mm. And it looks like I have a 10mm spigot ring on there as there's no movement.

So it can't be a Spigot ring issue. And I've had it previously had a balance done.

Other then brake pads is there anything else?

Edited by Stock.supra.98 (see edit history)

You guys was right!! So I swapped out the front with the rear and it fixed the issue!!

Finally found the issue!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!

/QUOTE]

So whats wrong with the wheel, out of balance, buckled, tyre problem ?

surprised something didn't show up on the wheel/tyre balancer

You guys was right!! So I swapped out the front with the rear and it fixed the issue!!

Finally found the issue!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!

/QUOTE]

I knew it! :rolleyes:

Glad you got to the bottom of it though, eventually. :p

So whats wrong with the wheel, out of balance, buckled, tyre problem ?

surprised something didn't show up on the wheel/tyre balancer

It doesn't always show up on the balancing machine bud. Check my earlier post about my own experience on my BMW.

I knew it! :rolleyes:

Glad you got to the bottom of it though, eventually. :p

It doesn't always show up on the balancing machine bud. Check my earlier post about my own experience on my BMW.

If its bent or buckled you'd see it when its running on the balancer but you'd need to look, i always look when my wheels

are being done :)

If its bent or buckled you'd see it when its running on the balancer but you'd need to look, i always look when my wheels

are being done :)

I always look (because I'm nosey) and couldn't see anything untoward or out of the ordinary, the wheel also balanced perfectly. I guess it depends on the extent and the location of the damage to the wheel. So the naked eye check isn't 100%.