The mkiv Supra Owners Club

det.

eyefi

ive got a detonation problem at exactly 1 kg/cm. i can hear the det and the check engine light & warning triangle flashes (im presuming this is the power fc detecting det and showing a warning, but i could b wrong). so i have a few potential causes:-

1. charge temp too high. this shouldnt b the case, i have an almost new hks "s type" intercooler.

2. too much ign advance. this is a probability, the car has just arrived from japan where it was mapped.

3. injectors maxed. i have stock injectors dont know about the pump.

4. powerfc mapped only up to 1kg/cm

5. bad fuel. i still need to get some more fuel to confirm this.

this has become apparent after both cat removal. previously i had never set the boost controller to above 1kg/cm.

the boost pressure is confirmed by both a gauge and the boost controller, i dont have an egt probe fitted at the moment (i have one but its a long story).

have i missed any other potential causes? anyone like to comment?

I would say, get your car checked over for fuelling and timing and everything, as you've got a programmable aftermarket ECU in there that is set up in an unknown way! And don't push the engine until you are happy it's actually tuned - obviously something is wrong, as you are hearing det and that's damage being done every time :(

Puts an interesting spin on the PowerFC discussion, I thought you had one in and it was sorted 100%, now that doesn't appear to be the case :)

-Ian

Ditto, I thought from your other posts it was all in & running like a dream. Never mind contact B1sep. If his guy can do a perfect map from a blank in a day then he should be able to sort yours in an hour. Let us know how you get on.

If its been mapped in Japan its probably running the ignition timing right to the max for 100ron fuel.......your car wont like 98 or less....

ps new Apexi Power FC comes with a complete base map loaded,

should only take 4-6 hours to map one properly.

it has been in and running like a dream up until i removed the cats, last week. i havent posted any incorrect info regarding this ecu, ive just answered a few specific questions. im not trying to mislead anyone.

i dont think that this is a problem with the functionality of the ecu.

Sorry Eyefi I doubt there is anything wrong either, it's probably just running too much advance. I will be very intersted when the cold weather comes around, what the cold start is like though, as our friends in Japan don't really have to worry about that too much, & it is one of the toughest things to map well.

Originally posted by B1SEP

If its been mapped in Japan its probably running the ignition timing right to the max for 100ron fuel.......your car wont like 98 or less....

yep, its running optimax.

Originally posted by Thor

Sorry Eyefi I doubt there is anything wrong either, it's probably just running too much advance.

i thought from both yr reactions that i had said something misleading

I will be very intersted when the cold weather comes around, what the cold start is like though, as our friends in Japan don't really have to worry about that too much, & it is one of the toughest things to map well.

i first saw he car in feb when we had the really cold and snowy spell of weather. the car started and drove fine.

Originally posted by eyefi

i first saw he car in feb when we had the really cold and snowy spell of weather. the car started and drove fine.

Did you see it started after it had been sitting all night or had the dealer warmed it up for your arrival? If you saw it from cold & it was OK/not overfuelling then you have had a result. I would honestly put an AFR analyser in though mate.

Did you see it started after it had been sitting all night or had the dealer warmed it up for your arrival? If you saw it from cold & it was OK/not overfuelling then you have had a result. I would honestly put an AFR analyser in though mate.

yeah, it was stone cold. id been looking in the radiator prior to starting.

the car is going for a proffessional tune, but first it may b getting a new fuel system. i want to make sure im not missing something stupid like.......

Originally posted by Thorin

It's not just fuel cut is it?

that had occured to me briefly, but i just dismissed it cos i thought this ecu would just get rid of it :blink:, but u could b right.

afaik tho, fuel cut is just that, it cuts fuel supply, no det with no fuel.

yeah, its one of them crystal ball type decisions. i would (like most people) like to go single, but to b honest this car feels fast enough. a set of 550 injectors and a fuel pump aint gonna break the bank, if im getting it remapped.

that had occured to me briefly, but i just dismissed it cos i thought this ecu would just get rid of it :blink:, but u could b right.

afaik tho, fuel cut is just that, it cuts fuel supply, no det with no fuel.

Never experienced fuel cut so can't really comment on the effects. Just seems likely to me as I know the warning lights come on and you are now running extra boost. Dunno, probably not serious anyway ;) How do your plugs look?

Originally posted by Thorin

How do your plugs look?

the kitchen and bath r fine, but the one in the basin could do with replacing. if u fill it up with the plug in and leave it for say an hour and come back, its empty. i mean its no big deal cos u never spend anything like 1 hour washing yr face.

the kitchen and bath r fine, but the one in the basin could do with replacing. if u fill it up with the plug in and leave it for say an hour and come back, its empty. i mean its no big deal cos u never spend anything like 1 hour washing yr face.

LMAO dry humour at its best :)

PMSL :D

I suppose I asked for that!!

• 2 weeks later...

just an update.

the power fc has on dash warnings (using stock lights) for maxed injectors and MAP sensor. so its not them. it also has det warning, which is nice.

the car should have a remap in a few weeks.

Quality ;)

Gaz.

• 7 months later...

Have you got the commander unit as well?

If not get one and this should tell you what is happening as it gives status for all sensors if I remember correctly.

Paul Whiffin sells em and they are not too expensive.

As for cold starts etc I also have aftermarket ECU and never had a problem with any type of weather condition.

:thumbs: