The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Has your Supra done this ?

Nash

Took mine out for 5 mile run earlier, parked it up, locked it up then the engine started

/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif
this took me by surprise, I left it run but after a minute I thought its not going to turn off, when I unlocked the car with the key in the door the engine turned off !

As some may know I have had an issue with the locking ( Thatcham remote ) and I had to lock it with the key tonight as the remote set the alarm but did not lock the deadbolts.

I've got a toad alarm, and one of the bottom smaller buttons if held when the car is off will remote start the supra.

It also turns off the moment you unlock the doors, which is why I was thinking it sounded similar to your issue so it might be malfunctioning

ive got a toad and never knew that! always park in gear so maybe ill try and avoid that

maybe a turbotimer installed?

ive got a toad and never knew that! always park in gear so maybe ill try and avoid that

maybe a turbotimer installed?

It would need to have the remote start module installed, but worth giving it a shot! It could be good in the winter when you want to turn the heating on

Edited by auzzam (see edit history)

The 650 requires an additional remote start module for it to work. It may refer to remote start in your instruction manual but it may not actually have it fitted as it is an optional extra.

Well, as I started the car without the key in the ignition and after I locked it it makes me think I may have the module fitted !!!

You may well do, in which case I would be mindful of two things:

1. It may be illegal to have it installed in your jurisdiction, which will normally lead to your insurer voiding your policy, if they were to find out of course; and

2. If your car is a manual, for goodness sake, do not leave it in gear when you park it!

You may well do, in which case I would be mindful of two things:

1. It may be illegal to have it installed in your jurisdiction, which will normally lead to your insurer voiding your policy, if they were to find out of course; and

2. If your car is a manual, for goodness sake, do not leave it in gear when you park it!

Re. 1 - I've had a Clifford 650 alarm with remote start installed for years here in the UK. I've informed the various insurance companies every time and not one of them have ever questioned it.

Re. 2 - If a Clifford 650 alarm with remote start is correctly installed, then it is impossible to remote start a manual car whilst in gear.

Re. 1 - I've had a Clifford 650 alarm with remote start installed for years here in the UK. I've informed the various insurance companies every time and not one of them have ever questioned it.

Re. 2 - If a Clifford 650 alarm with remote start is correctly installed, then it is impossible to remote start a manual car whilst in gear.

In the same order;

1- your insurer/broker may not have voided your policy as the advisor on the other end of the phone is unlikely to be an underwriter and may not understand that unattended stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 ("the Act"). The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code, which states "You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road." It is also usually an implied or explicit term of any motor insurance policy that the insured party must observe and comply with all the applicable laws and regulations of their particular jurisdiction, breaching this term will almost always result in a voided policy.

2- relying or choosing to rely on the integrity of a few electrical components is entirely your prerogative; however, it is not something I would personally recommend, especially considering the severely adverse consequences a simple malfunction could cause.

In the same order;

1- your insurer/broker may not have voided your policy as the advisor on the other end of the phone is unlikely to be an underwriter and may not understand that unattended stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 ("the Act"). The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code, which states "You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road." It is also usually an implied or explicit term of any motor insurance policy that the insured party must observe and comply with all the applicable laws and regulations of their particular jurisdiction, breaching this term will almost always result in a voided policy.

2- relying or choosing to rely on the integrity of a few electrical components is entirely your prerogative; however, it is not something I would personally recommend, especially considering the severely adverse consequences a simple malfunction could cause.

same goes for turbo timers

In the same order;

Again, same order:

1 - Personally, on the occasions that I have used the remote start, it has never been on a public road. From your extract of 'The Law', it sounds as though a turbo timer may be illegal also - if used on a public road.

2 - People 'rely or choose to rely on the integrity of a few electrical components' every time they drive a car.

Again, same order:

1 - Personally, on the occasions that I have used the remote start, it has never been on a public road. From your extract of 'The Law', it sounds as though a turbo timer may be illegal also - if used on a public road.

2 - People 'rely or choose to rely on the integrity of a few electrical components' every time they drive a car.

In the same order;

1- you will note that the limitation of "public roads" does not apply to the first part of that excerpt. I.e. "You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running(...)" Turbo timers and any similar devices are also illegal to use whilst the car is left unattended.

2- the key distinction here is, when you drive a car, you are likely relying on the R&D and workmanship of the car's manufacturer, whilst choosing to rely on an aftermarket component doesn't come with the same level of assurance.

In the same order;

1- you will note that the limitation of "public roads" does not apply to the first part of that excerpt. I.e. "You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running(...)" Turbo timers and any similar devices are also illegal to use whilst the car is left unattended.

2- the key distinction here is, when you drive a car, you are likely relying on the R&D and workmanship of the car's manufacturer, whilst choosing to rely on an aftermarket component doesn't come with the same level of assurance.

Same order:

1 - No, it would appear to apply to public roads only - having just checked.

2 - If people took too much notice of your comment above, then no one on this forum would ever mod their car! The reliability of electrical/electronic components isn't simply down to how large of a company did the development/manufacture. You must have heard of many cases of large/well-known car manufacturers recalling vehicles for various issues such as electrical/electronic component failure causing various serious conditions. When decent quality aftermarket components are added to a vehicle, whether they be mechanical or electrical/electronic, the main concern is the quality of installation/testing. That is what usually causes most of the problems.

Same order:

1 - No, it would appear to apply to public roads only - having just checked.

2 - If people took too much notice of your comment above, then no one on this forum would ever mod their car! The reliability of electrical/electronic components isn't simply down to how large of a company did the development/manufacture. You must have heard of many cases of large/well-known car manufacturers recalling vehicles for various issues such as electrical/electronic component failure causing various serious conditions. When decent quality aftermarket components are added to a vehicle, whether they be mechanical or electrical/electronic, the main concern is the quality of installation/testing. That is what usually causes most of the problems.

In the same order;

1- I have quoted the wording exactly as it appears on the government website. If you have "checked" elsewhere and you are happy to take the risk based on this unverified source, then that is entirely up to you.

2- this is clearly a very subjective position as not everyone will agree with your assessment. In fact, I find the lack of recalls in the aftermarket sector more worrying than the abundance of it with the manufacturers. As for your quality control argument, this is also an area the aftermarket industry falls short whereas manufacturers will likely have many layers of QC. In any event, you appear to be happy to take the risk and that is, again, entirely your call. :thumbs:

Edited by Mo Reviews
Spelling. (see edit history)

In the same order;

1- I have quoted the wording exactly as it appears on the government website. If you have "checked" elsewhere and you are happy to take the risk based on this unverified source, then that is entirely up to you.

2- this is clearly a very subjective position as not everyone will agree with your assessment. In fact, I find the lack of recalls in the aftermarket sector more worrying than the abundance of it with the manufacturers. As for your quality control argument, this is also an area the aftermarket industry falls short whereas manufacturers will likely have many layers of QC. In any event, you appear to be happy to take the risk and that is, again, entirely your call. :thumbs:

Same order... again:

1 - The last four words in particular - "Rule 123 of The Highway Code looks at 'The Driver and the Environment' and states that drivers^must not leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running^or^leave^a^vehicle engine running^unnecessarily while that^vehicle^is stationary on a public road."

2 - Yes, I agree, we all have to make our own decisions.

... and I've now decided that it's dinner time. [emoji4]