The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power folding mirrors on preface JDM car?

Nathanj1142

I am correct in saying pre-facelift cars never came with power folding mirrors? Trying to fix my 94 NA mirrors and only the left one is a power fold. When trying to find the right mirror I noticed the pin layouts of everyone else’s is different. Same amount of pins, could always buy the same plug as the mirrors and re pin the plug.

Just posting as a question really- loom looks factory so whoever has done it has done a good job. Factory dash panel with the switch installed too. Currently tearing down the left mirror and all the grease has dried up. Thinking it’s caused the motor to seize or even may have been a complete retrofit powerfold unit. Let me know!

Cheers,

Nathan

AB7EEA38-375B-4A9C-A817-A6CD8B4B6A01.jpeg

8775E684-F09C-4071-986C-E9462F18B8D4.jpeg

2BDC492B-EA93-4B64-988C-A395C63B64A9.jpeg

My mates 1995.5 had powerfolds

Those cogs and gears/ grease are a nightmare. I had my old ones apart a few times and re assembled to get it working but a few months later theyd die again. Until one day they had it.

Did the connector look similar to mine? Found two for sale now that look different to what I’ve got

Did the connector look similar to mine? Found two for sale now that look different to what I’ve got

Yep the connector looks the same as my powerfolds an the wiring colours to.

The push folds have different sized connectors. And dont have orange and pink wires.

Yep the connector looks the same as my powerfolds an the wiring colours to.

The push folds have different sized connectors. And dont have orange and pink wires.

Here’s a pic of the powerfold blythmrk has. His connector is different - at first I thought it could be facelift and preface differences but then they didn’t make them for the preface-so the supra model differences chart shows anyway

Here’s a pic of the powerfold blythmrk has. His connector is different - at first I thought it could be facelift and preface differences but then they didn’t make them for the preface-so the supra model differences chart shows anyway

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2020/01/32.jpg

/QUOTE]

My first set of powerfolds years ago had those connectora. But my new ones have larger longer connectors. Once the mirror had orange and pink wires its a powerfold. You can use the ones blythmark has just need to change the block connectors over. Or chop em off and use bullet connectors.

My first set of powerfolds years ago had those connectora. But my new ones have larger longer connectors. Once the mirror had orange and pink wires its a powerfold. You can use the ones blythmark has just need to change the block connectors over. Or chop em off and use bullet connectors.

Interesting, thanks for that EvinX.

I was planning on taking the pins out of what I’ve got and putting the pins in the right connector. Passenger side is fine but obviously rather have matching.

Any rebuild kits for the gearbox in the mechanism? What if the motors a dud on my passenger side can I just replace it with a generic motor?

Interesting, thanks for that EvinX.

I was planning on taking the pins out of what I’ve got and putting the pins in the right connector. Passenger side is fine but obviously rather have matching.

Any rebuild kits for the gearbox in the mechanism? What if the motors a dud on my passenger side can I just replace it with a generic motor?

/QUOTE]

No probs. No idea on the motor. I still have the lh and rh inner mechanisms of my old mirrors. Might strip them down and have a mess around with them one day and see what can be done. Theres a electronics board in there to

No probs. No idea on the motor. I still have the lh and rh inner mechanisms of my old mirrors. Might strip them down and have a mess around with them one day and see what can be done. Theres a electronics board in there to

I had a play with rebuilding a non working one, struggled to find a new motor, and some of the pieces on board were hard to ID, gave up in the end. I have some pictures of alot of the bits, once disassembled. I did think there was a lovely little sideline to had making new ones from the old ones as a pattern, lack of skills and determination, and that went down the pan.

I may be interested Stephen. Could you confirm which connector it is?

/QUOTE]

Easy. Use 1 strand of wire from the pink and orange wire on a car battery. Touch them on the positive and negative and then reverse the polarity to fold the opposite way. Just touch the strand. Not all the wire or you risk damaging the internal board.

I had a play with rebuilding a non working one, struggled to find a new motor, and some of the pieces on board were hard to ID, gave up in the end. I have some pictures of alot of the bits, once disassembled. I did think there was a lovely little sideline to had making new ones from the old ones as a pattern, lack of skills and determination, and that went down the pan.

Sounds like more hassle than it’s worth. Inevitably fail after a period of time and no real way to fix them.

Someone could make a guide for fixing them - the cost of working ones are ridiculous.