The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Emissions - 35x over the limit!

JamesArup

Hi all,

When I fail on emissions, I do it properly! :D

As you can see from the attached, my CO2 reading, which should be

There are other issues:

1. I have no CATS, and I haven't done for about 10 years. I have a straight-through 4" HKS Titanium exhaust strapped to a Boostlogic single T6765

2. I have an HKS F-Con Pro V Gold. Which, whilst being a good unit in the days, is very hard to find someone capable of mapping it. I am SURE I need to get the map checked with emissions that bad

Luckily, I have a "nice" MOT guy who absolutely loves the car and appreciates it for what it is. So, for this year, I'm okay! But I really need to get this sorted out.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I see other posts with people failing emissions, but not by the HUGE margin that I've managed to achieve! There's a place near me that will fabricate custom CATS, so that's an option, although I can't be sure it will actually fix the issue.

mot19.jpg

Any advice is much appreciated,

Cheers, James

p.s. Hi everyone! I'm still here .... 15 years with the Supra and counting! Just live in Madrid most of the year these days!

Edited by JamesArup
Forgot attachment (see edit history)

do you know what afr your running at the rpm check point?

There's a good question! I couldn't tell you! The last map was about 5-6 years ago!

But I am certain it's running too rich right now, there's a lot of black smoke! But that's also going to be a result of standing still for so long. It generally clears up after a few good runs ... but I wasn't in the country when the MOT was done, so I doubt it had a good blast to clear out the cobwebs before the test.

Interesting! Might look into that, cheers! But I assume you also had CATS in, or not? I'm not sure how my big single would react if I plugged the Stock ECU back in!

But it's so hard to find an HKS F-Con mapper in this area (Surrey, Guildford area), unless I am mistaken? I was tempted to upgrade to an easier/more supported ECU ... but that's not cheap!

Thanks Mike,

Yeah, I've been over to Abbey a few times over the years! And with my Brother when he had an R32 GTR too. They aren't too far away, so it may be my best bet at the moment ... I'm just only here a couple of weeks of the year.

The last map I had done was with Ryan over at Surrey Rolling Road, but I don't know if either of them still exist. Surrey Rolling Road was about 5 minutes away from my house, but now it seems they have developed the area that they were based in, and I guess they aren't there anymore. And I haven't seen anything from Ryan for a while, so I guess he's not doing it anymore either!

I guess I'll either try Abbey, or look into which ECU gives the best support these days at a reasonable price!

Thanks again,

Cheers!

Check the EFI water temp sensor plug as well as the O2 sensor. Mine was running eyewateringly rich because the temp sensor plug had turned to dust and wasn't making contact. Didn't throw a dash error, the stock ECU just ran a safe default. Swapping the connector over took 15 mins or so and got me from 14mpg to 25ish. I kept the pins, just switched over the plastic plug shell.

Sensor is on the front of the block just below a separate connector that goes to the dash display for water temp. No idea why it doesn't use the ECU data...

TDI South map HKS stuff, Romain Levesque (?) big noise in Syvecs is the mapping guy in the UK right now

Had my last single turbo Supra, which was running an HKS Fcon, mapped there after another company, which used to be based in West Sussex (I won't name drop them, but those in the know will know who I'm referring to) ruined my engine. Never had any issues with it after TDI mapped it and although they're slightly dearer than the alternatives, you do get what you pay for; with the quality of their work, attention to detail and of course, their state of the art hub dyno facilities (providing they've still got it of course, as the last time I was there, was circa 10 years ago!)

Edited by Mo Reviews (see edit history)

Mine is running a hks fcon gold vpro, and has been mapped a few times by Tdi South. Sam Borgman did it originally, but he has moved over to life racing now. Last time it was done by Mark iirc, and runs perfectly.

I'll actually be heading back there in the spring for a tweak, after the winter 'upgrades' I have planned [emoji23]

Charlie (SRR) is still around actually, he has just had to relocate, but he's not too far from his old unit now... had a few of my cars dyno'd at his new place this year. Top chap.

Oh, you are right! I just had a look and they are in Farnborough now, that's very close! I'm there a lot! That's good to know, but I don't think there are any "travelling" F-CON mappers these days who I can get to come over there like Ryan used to.

Are TDI South the ones over to the East of London, near the Dartford tunnel area? Might be worth a look too, it's just very difficult with me being away most of the time. I don't think I've ever had a single experience where my car was ready when they said it would be, at any tuner ... ever!! And I would really need that guarantee this time around!!

I'll check those sensor plugs Ianhid, definitely worth a look. I just took the car for a short run, was very lumpy to start, but that's to be expected after standing for so long. But ran perfectly once it warmed up a bit. I noticed the AFR gauge sitting between about 10.5 and 14 most of the time. But on the overrun after WOT it hit nearer 24 for a brief moment, not sure if that's good or not!

I'll keep investigating, thanks for the help so far! The MOT guys told me that they had to clear out the garage when they were testing it as the fumes were so strong!!

Cheers, James

Oh, you are right! I just had a look and they are in Farnborough now, that's very close! I'm there a lot! That's good to know, but I don't think there are any "travelling" F-CON mappers these days who I can get to come over there like Ryan used to.

Are TDI South the ones over to the East of London, near the Dartford tunnel area? Might be worth a look too, it's just very difficult with me being away most of the time. I don't think I've ever had a single experience where my car was ready when they said it would be, at any tuner ... ever!! And I would really need that guarantee this time around!!

I'll check those sensor plugs Ianhid, definitely worth a look. I just took the car for a short run, was very lumpy to start, but that's to be expected after standing for so long. But ran perfectly once it warmed up a bit. I noticed the AFR gauge sitting between about 10.5 and 14 most of the time. But on the overrun after WOT it hit nearer 24 for a brief moment, not sure if that's good or not!

I'll keep investigating, thanks for the help so far! The MOT guys told me that they had to clear out the garage when they were testing it as the fumes were so strong!!

Cheers, James

10.5 is very rich and you would only even want to be that rich when on full boost if at all, 14 should be most of your day to day driving part throttle , 12-11 making decent boost anything over maybe 0.4 WOT.

on over run when lifting off the injectors are shut off so would go full lean then may jump back up at set rpm to stop stalling

ultimately your map should not have changed but your sensors may have degraded over time , so if your map was good 10 years ago it should be still good now as long as the ecu is still good.

Interesting! Might look into that, cheers! But I assume you also had CATS in, or not? I'm not sure how my big single would react if I plugged the Stock ECU back in!

But it's so hard to find an HKS F-Con mapper in this area (Surrey, Guildford area), unless I am mistaken? I was tempted to upgrade to an easier/more supported ECU ... but that's not cheap!

I had 2nd cat in it won't pass emissions without one of the cats, the 1st cat is for start up low idle, 2nd cat is for high idle ie 2500rpm or there abouts, you still need the car very hot going in to test to get it through on just 2nd cat, Sam Brogan tdi is expert in fcon, I think running big single for the nct/mot test emissions on stock ecu should be ok your only running 2500rpm?