The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ABS Boffins ......Help needed !

SupraTT

About 2 months ago my ABS light was on on my dash and my ABS was non existent, so i had the front drivers side ABS Sensor replaced and the light went out and ABS was back again.....simple.

But over the past 3-4 days i have noticed that when i am moving slowly like 5mph or so and brake gently the ABS sometimes comes on (feeling through the pedal) just as i come to a standstill more or less now and again. It is more obvious when i am braking and the steering wheel is turned slightly at the same time, like when i am coming out across a junction and stopping to wait to pull out with wheel turned maybe 1/2 - 3/4 a turn. Its nothing severe, just a split second judder of the ABS on the brake pedal but like i said it has only been in the last few days and is maybe 20-30% of the time.

I am not stamping on the brakes nor am i at speed, and it is fine at all other times, but just when i come to a stop or standstill, the split second before the wheels stop rolling i feel it.

Any ideas ??

Michael

Odd.  ABS is specifically designed not to function at extremely low speeds, about 5mph and below, so it really shouldn't be freaking out like that.  It may be a dodgy speed signal going to the ABS unit, where it suddenly thinks you are perhaps going 100mph and the wheel is only turning at 4mph under braking.

Usually, ABS just stops working entirely, lights up the light, and waits for you to replace the sensors!

Does that ABS actually work at all times?

-Ian

Yep as far as i am aware the ABS works at all times....

i have just been out in the car again and its the same....about 5mph or therabouts, and its coming on for a split second just as i come to a stop. Whether i am turning or in a straight line.

Its actually quite annoying as the girlfriend keeps hearing it and saying "whats that noise, what was that" again and again and it actually is quite annoying when it comes on.

Funny thing is that i havent actually seen the light coming on for the ABS when it does happen, but i couldnt be 100% sure on that.

Would me having a new front ABS sensor fitted have anything to do with it ?

Could it be having any adverse effects !?

Come on guys hit me with the knowledge !! NEED HELP !!

Quote: from Ian C on 6:42 pm on Feb. 10, 2002[br]Odd.  ABS is specifically designed not to function at extremely low speeds, about 5mph and below, so it really shouldn't be freaking out like that.  It may be a dodgy speed signal going to the ABS unit, where it suddenly thinks you are perhaps going 100mph and the wheel is only turning at 4mph under braking.

Usually, ABS just stops working entirely, lights up the light, and waits for you to replace the sensors!

Does that ABS actually work at all times?

-Ian

Text book faulty ABS sensor, the unit is losing speed output, the ecu thinks a wheel has locked, and it modulates the pedal action. You usually notice it at walking speed. It's typical of an intermittent fault. If the ECU sees no speed signal from a wheel above say 10 MPH, it realises somethings *uggered, and switches itself off, and the warning light on.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...