The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Respray cost advice

Josh

Hi all,

My Supra was parked near a building site yesterday and the workers have allowed some kind of sealant to drift onto the cars in the car park I was in. There are areas of the paint that have gone milky and will not polish out.

The project manager has asked me to send photos to him of the damage and to get quotes for a respray (The damage is on most panels, so will need a full respray). Does anyone have a good body shop in the West Midlands that they have had a positive experience with? Also, what is the average cost of a window out respray? I'm thinking maybe £2-2.5k.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Josh

I think you will be nearer to 5-6k is your car on original paint?

There is a guy in Sheffield who has done a few supra now including Rics (pm Ric for his contact details) and know he is very good.

It's been resprayed a few years ago but it was only on top of the original paint, and the windows and panels were all left in place when it was done.

Sheffield is a bit far to travel for it, but as long as it's a good job that's done, it wouldn't be out of the question.

PL Carbodies have done two of my Supras and they are brilliant. However they are expensive.

I recently used a company called Car Cosmetics in Bromsgrove and could not be happier with their work. Very reasonably priced and a perfect job on mine. Give Darren a call and mention you spoke to me mate 07894 151432

Cheers Mark,

The bodyshop i use has done 2 other club cars and my own so they know their way around supras now.

I paid around 4k for a glass out respray but then a few other added costs such as new windscreen, new seals etc.

2k is going to be a poor job, IMO + with the contamination being unknown a bodyshop might be reluctant to work on the car without at least going back to bare metal.

I would want to know what the sealant was, you could well be into having to strip it right back

Plenty of paintshops dont like painting over over places paintwork let alone a car thats been contaminated

in an unknown chemical

Just spoke to Darren and they don't do full paint jobs, just scratch dent repairs.

He did recommend another place in Bromsgrove called BBR and to speak to Matt

https://bromsgrovebodyrepairs.co.uk/

Yes been there before they offered a full blow over of my car for £1k. Seemed reputable and good reviews. I didn't need a blowover only a single panel done so didn't use them.

Im sorry but if anyone is quoting below 7k for a respray id walk away and fast!

anyone that can do a car for a couple of grand is using crap products, little prep time, and rushing like mad and missing bits. That sort of figure will not cover costs involved in doing the job let alone them making a profit. My dads in the paint trade and I can pay trade costs and no labour fee and we couldnt do it for a grand! not even close!

I would also explore your options of getting it to a true detailer and see what they can do i doubt its permanently marked it (although there is a chance depending what it is) Go to a reputable one and see what they can do on a test pannel, a full paint correction of a few hundred pound would be better than getting it painted unless its needed honestly

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

The company that did the damage have asked for a quote for a respray, so my thought is, if I can get a free window out respray, why not? It's a bit cheeky, but they said they are more than happy to pay for it to avoid any hassle, plus they were careless in allowing the damage to occur.

I used some polishing cloth and some cutting polish and it didn't do anything at all, but it might be worth asking a detailer.

I'll push for the respray and if they argue that the costs are too high, I'll look into other options from there. I've asked what the substance is but haven't heard back yet.

The company that did the damage have asked for a quote for a respray, so my thought is, if I can get a free window out respray, why not? It's a bit cheeky, but they said they are more than happy to pay for it to avoid any hassle, plus they were careless in allowing the damage to occur.

I used some polishing cloth and some cutting polish and it didn't do anything at all, but it might be worth asking a detailer.

I'll push for the respray and if they argue that the costs are too high, I'll look into other options from there. I've asked what the substance is but haven't heard back yet.

fair enough mate but reckon they may change their mind when they see a couple fo quotes around 7 or 8k. But if you can swing it go for it

To give you an idea, I'm currently in the process of repainting my own supra, and I reckon it'll cost me circa £1k in materials by the time it's done.

With the amount of hours to do it properly, I'd need to charge circa £4k to make it worth while, and that's without the overheads of premises and a full blown business to run.

I'd expect £5k for a quality job done properly if you were to pay for a company to do it

If they've admitted liability then i would not be looking for easy fixes for them, i'd go and get expert opinion

on it, i'd want to know what actually went on it then you can make a much better decision as to what to do

They must have liability insurance surely