The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quick reminder about jap night at ace cafe

lui

Unfortunatly it was Lui. Someone parked up opened their door of which he had to avoid and hey presto one hurt Supra. It's off to the doctors on Monday so fingers crossed.

Of course, nothing to do with the fact he was doing 90+ down that road....nonono, nothing at all to do with that..... Sorry, but he deserves everything he gets..... And no, I wont chill out about it, I would have loved to see your reaction if it was your car that he ploughed into....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you say ewizzy, no one would be happy at all if it was their car. Did you say you HAD been there before?? If so then you'll know what speeds people do up and down there. I'm not saying Lui was right for doing that speed but people who park in an area where such things happen should take more precaution for their actions. Opening a car door sounds trivial, but unfortunatly it contrbuted to a mess.

Of course, nothing to do with the fact he was doing 90+ down that road....nonono, nothing at all to do with that..... Sorry, but he deserves everything he gets..... And no, I wont chill out about it, I would have loved to see your reaction if it was your car that he ploughed into....

I see your point of view, and I would be livid to. But.... my personal opinion is that you can bet that Lui is beating himself up enough over the entire incident, the repairs, the embarrassment alone.

I'm not defending him at all, infact, I'm sitting on the fence, because he is not the only person to have sped up that stretch of road to make a statement - it could have happened to anyone.

I have been there loads of times, I lived in london for 10 years and went every month for nearly 3 years.... And yes, I have seen all the idiots doing stupid speeds up and down there... Does that make it right though, just becasue other people do it, liu could do it and it was all fine ? No, I dont think so..... and TBH, if anyone does speed up there, then they deserve to crash, Its just a shame hehit 2 other peoples cars.. And putting some blame on someone opening their door..... Well, sorry but bollox... the guy could have looked round, not seen anyone, started opening their door, the speed liu was going, he could have just come off the mini roundabout and got to his car in the time it took to look round and open his door..... Its no ones but the cock who was speedings fault.... and quite frankly, I cant believe ANYONE can do anything but condemn the dickhead....no, he isnt the only one, but then, jsut becasue he has a Supra, you are all defending him....

Quite frankly, I'm disgusted......

I left just after 11 so must have just missed it. It was a mad night tho, all that screaming up and down a road with a 30mph limit with all those big post office lorries and the looks on the innocent unsuspecting faces of the granny drivers in their micras with jap heat scorching past :eyebrows: . To be honest it was great entertainment, that M3 doing donuts over the roundabout, the bike pulling wheelies & stunts, the mad fast GTO blink and you missed him BUT there is NO WAY I would ever do that in my car. Maybe I am too old & boring now but I know the risks and they are BIG risks as the supra found out. If you take ANY risk you have to be able to pay for the consequences and weighing up last night there was an accident just waiting to happen. Click here for some pics from the night (not mine) scroll to the bottom for badness

Sorry to say it, I have to agree with ewizzy...

Yes, I muck about on the roads myself, I'll put my hands up to it.. however I've stopped going to cruises because of exactly this kind of thing, it only takes one person to forget the laws of physics when it comes to a car with the adreanline pumping...

Last Reading cruise I was at the same thing happened, everybody pushing us to show what the supra's can do... thing is I didn't step up to it, purely because I know what the supra can do... why do I need to prove it to a bunch of people in corsas and the likes....

It is a hard lesson learnt sadly...

It is not a matter of taking side in other defence, it should simply be a lesson learnt...

How would you guys feel if one of us slide into your cars?? somehow don't think it will be as calm as it is now... just a thought for the night...

Anyway, that is enough of that...

I'm with ewizzy & gav. Mucking about on open roads is one thing, but doing that sort of thing on a crowded street is asking for trouble.

I'm sorry that Lui has damaged his car, but think of the e30 owner driver, his P&J is going to be written off because of this.

Assuming Lui was speeding or driving like a loon in a crowded area the that's just asking for trouble.... especially when the roads get slippy

again.... Also, if he had (god forbid) killed anyone, and it was someone I knew, he certainly wouldnt be around to regret his actions...

Agree could have been a lot worse.....can be seen as a lucky escape. No excuse for this sort of behaviour though....then we all do make mistakes and this is a hard lesson to learn.

Once bitten twice shy, im sure he will learn from this and modify his driving style(well i hope he will) and not give in to peer pressure.

I am not condoning his actions it was a stupid thing to do and it will be sinking in as he gets the bill but i still feel sorry for the guy as no one likes to crash their car and have hundreds of people around them taking the piss.

Filming it and taking pictures, especially nowadays, where you can guarantee it will be on the tinternet in 5 minutes flat ?

I have been to the ace cafe before about 5 years ago and they were hammering it back then, i always park my car well out the way of the main spectator bits as this can and does happen.

Even though it wasn't my car it still made me cringe looking at the poor supra :cry:

Plus if he was the ONLY person to have every have sped up that stretch of road then yes - call him a tosser and all the names under the sun.

But I personally have stood there and watched Skylines and Scoobys speed up and down that road, drifting round the roundabout.

It really could have happened to anyone of those cars as I said earlier.

I think excusing him just because others do the same makes no sense whatsoever.

Do you excuse killers because other people have done it before? And lets face it, it is out of pure luck no one died here. You can see form the damage on the supe that if it had connected with a person in any manner they wouldn't be around anymore.

Yes he has a supra, yes he's one of our members etc but if this was a guy on another board I'm sure he would have been condemned by now.

I do have some sympathy under the circumstances in which it happened, i.e. showing off the car to others etc. But come on, Chris Webley and Costas were there, in there huge power machines, you don't see them doing this kind of thing.

So that makes them all tossers surely?

Yes it does and that's the point I'm trying to make - albeit it badly.

Supra_nish. I'm not excusing what he did at all. My point is that you can't shout at one person for doing what everyone else has done as well. Yes he did lose control of the car, and I think its a lesson learnt for everyone. :thumbdown

I think being shouted at is the least of his worries really.

I see your point how_supra, but in my eyes they're all equally stupid.

If one of my mates was doing something like that, crash or not, I'd be screwing at him too. Surely if most people did this then this type of thing wouldn't happen.

Excusing people because others have done it before will only lead to this happening again.

I think being shouted at is the least of his worries really.

I see your point how_supra, but in my eyes they're all equally stupid.

If one of my mates was doing something like that, crash or not, I'd be screwing at him too. Surely if most people did this then this type of thing wouldn't happen.

Excusing people because others have done it before will only lead to this happening again.

Fair point. I hope that now it has happened to someone, that others will think twice about showing off when driving up and down that stretch of road. A lesson learnt for everyone :shrug:

I hope that now it has happened to someone, that others will think twice about showing off when driving up and down that stretch of road. A lesson learnt for everyone :shrug:

I doubt it :( Idiots don't give a crap and will carry on doing it regardless :no:

This may seem like a complete contradiction from my previous statement, however I will put my hands up and say I've been sucked in by the atmosphere in the past and gone out with a carrot up my arse at stupid speeds at a cruise and mucked about, not in the supra tho....

I ended up spinning it, and luckily the worst that happened was me looking like a complete pratt... these things do happen....

The thing is, it just needs to be a lesson.. I doubt it is one lui will ever make the same mistake again...

I for one look forward to seeing the car on the road again with an appreciation for just how dangerous these cars can really be (well, any car in truth)..

Gav

MMMMMM

V V daft.

I drive like a wazok at times but I really do try and reign it in when there are people and potential for an accident like this. I've done that sort of speed on a deserted 30 limit road at night before and still to this day marvel at how ridiculously stupid it was :(

Problem is there is a massive potential for an accident and as this proves one will happen in the fullness of time. The reason that 30 limits are 30 is not because the speed police want to make us go slow its because people do open doors, step out in front of you without looking, etc etc in urban areas. The speed limit is there and set at an amount to reflect the amounts of hazards that may present themselves and afford the maximum amount of ability to stop in order to prevent accidents.

Nobody "deserves" to crash their cars or be crashed into but if you flagrantly ignore limits you have to expect that at some point you'll have to stand and take the rap when it all goes wrong. Fortunately for me I'm growing sense faster by the day and seeing this sort of going wrong event helps to remind me that I need to slow down or in fact to not speed up in the first place.

I say don't be too harsh on this one.

S*** happens and I think lui would like to have some support over the incident and all the embarassment.

we all do stupid things from time to time and you burn and learn. crashing supra is an expensive hobbie and I have been there and done that. For his action I will call him a TWAT but for the outcome I am sorry to see that happen and I wish lui good luck at repairing or recovering the supra.

Someone got to do stupid speed and stunt at meet like that for entainment, I remember enjoying watching silly speed and slide at Box Hill or even bov!!. I enjoy watching that and was waiting for accident to happen, lets leave those stunt for other tbh, keep our supra and lives safe.

China

just out of curiosity, what stand would you guys take on say doing 170 leptons on a "private road" and causing an accident? lets face it, majority have reached that landmark...

It's all about weighing up the risks. A clear dry day, open road with no traffic, warmed up car in top condition and a speed like that in a short blast (not cruising) with an experienced driver behind the wheel is alright with me. Works in Germany doesn't it. Accidents happen at all speeds, it is not speed that kills, just careless driving and/or bad luck.

An accident at 170 would be horrific. There was an accident on the A23 last year when a speeding bmw went over the central reservation at just over 100 killing about 7 people I believe. I was about 20 cars back and the mess was unbelievable at 170 I cant even begin to imagine what the cars would look like.

Its easy to get worked up with the crowds and atmosphere though which is why I'm surprised the police aren't all over that road. In Brighton the equivalent is Madeira drive, the police used to drive up and down there all night long sometimes on a 'cruise night' they just closed the road! Now they have put massive blockades across the road that you have to weave round to slow up the traffic.

But come on, Chris Webley and Costas were there, in there huge power machines, you don't see them doing this kind of thing.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=48789&highlight=ace+cafe

170 on that road and causing an accident would be plan silly and i they would deserve everything they get. But 50 odd in a 30 i think is something different. What was done was silly and he's now paying for it in more way than one.