The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Turbo on a budget

rg500

I wondered if anyone knows a way to turbo a N/A mkiv supra without spending over £5000 I looked at the whifbitz conversion and am quite tempted at the moment it’s a little out of reach and just wondered if anyone has put a kit together successfully by buying specific parts to make up a kit.

It can/could be done on a budget. Will probably take you a long time to gather the parts. However it would probably in the end be cheaper and quicker buying a new kit, as 2nd hand parts are a gamble.

If it is worth doing it is worth doing it right. As you could end up paying for it in the long run.

Other thing to bear in mind, parts are not getting cheaper for these cars.

Xspower turbo kit, emanage piggy back ecu, tt head gasket, arp head stud kit, 440cc injectors, afr gauge, boost controller. 400bhp @10psi ��

Won't even need the headgasket or studs at that boost. I'm running 11psi on a stock engine :)

I would only take on the cheap NA-T way if I knew 'people' or could diy lots of it, otherwise I think it might be a false economy. Eg cheap manifold, the flange isn't square, or cracks after 'x' thousand miles, if you have can weld and grind whatever it's all part of the fun (for a few years at least!), or it's multiple trips and new parts (the ones you should have got the first time!)

Whitbitz kit may seem pricey but won't have the above issues (you are basically paying up front for problems/expense you will avoid and that are 'likely' to incur going cheap at the start). Some would say if you are baulking a bit at the price then perhaps steer clear of modding one, I would simply say it's a balance or cost vs longevity, long term goals etc. If you don't change your oil on it even then you need to consider things carefully and it may be better biting the bullet and paying more up front and then at least you solidify a relationship, say with Whifbitz, to ensure a smoother ongoing ownership experience?

Research, research research at this point including pm'ing the current NA-T owners ie straight from the horses mouth.

I used:

Garage Whifbitz NA-T kit (no intercooler, ECU, injectors)

AEM EMS v2 ECU with 3.5bar MAP Sensor

2nd Hand Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

2nd Hand Greddy 3 row Intercooler with BOV

3" Intercooler pipework and couplers from eBay (3" inlet pipe doesn't clear the oil feed line to the turbo so was hammered into an oval shape. Still holds boost fine)

2nd Hand Siemens DEKA 650cc Injectors

Garage Whifbitz Oil Sandwich Plate

Mocal Oil Cooler

Defi Gauges (Oil Pressure & Temp, Boost and Fuel Pressure)

AEM AFR Gauge

Plus all sorts of little fittings, odds and sods

I used:

Garage Whifbitz NA-T kit (no intercooler, ECU, injectors)

AEM EMS v2 ECU with 3.5bar MAP Sensor

2nd Hand Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

2nd Hand Greddy 3 row Intercooler with BOV

3" Intercooler pipework and couplers from eBay (3" inlet pipe doesn't clear the oil feed line to the turbo so was hammered into an oval shape. Still holds boost fine)

2nd Hand Siemens DEKA 650cc Injectors

Garage Whifbitz Oil Sandwich Plate

Mocal Oil Cooler

Defi Gauges (Oil Pressure & Temp, Boost and Fuel Pressure)

AEM AFR Gauge

Plus all sorts of little fittings, odds and sods

You say you used the whifbitz turbo kit , why did you need to buy extra bits as I thought that the kit came with everything needed to do the conversion also how much did it cost.

I bought the first version of the kit years ago which only came with a side mounted intercooler option and I wanted a front mount. So just pieced that part together myself. I went second hand on injectors as they were a third of the price of new ones with the Whifbitz kit and had been freshly cleaned/tested. Same idea with the ECU, it was only the Greddy eManage piggy back that was offered at the time and I wanted to go standalone. Fuel pump upgrade was necessary for that little bit more boost I wanted to run. Stock one will run out of juice at low boost levels. Sandwich plate was for my gauges which I personally feel are absolutely necessary on an NA-T. That lead me to an oil cooler as I was passing 130degree oil temps on even fast motorway cruising.

Whatever you think you can go NA-T for...double it. There's always unexpected things that come along. I was about 9k in the end I reckon. That included a clutch as well that I bought from Chris Wilson.

Engine refresh

New gaskets

TT headgasket

compression lowered to 9.5-1

Acl race bearings

650 seimens dekka injectors

xs t61 trubo .70/.68

Fromt mount intercooler 2.5 pipe work

Walbro 225 fuel pump with uk spec fuel pump ecu

4 runner distributor

10w-60 fully syth oil

twin elec fans

greddy emu Ecu

Aem efr

Defi oil, water, temp, oil pressure gauge

Running 17psi around 550hp mark now

TRANSMITION

the excellent david p hybrid auto

pressure switch at max

fully shimmed valve bodies

a01 diferential

Edited by sidewaysdan (see edit history)

I did head studs and TT gasket to future proof mine, it made 454bhp @12 pair

But as soon as my m3 gearbox is in ill be winding it up and making the most of the head studs!

What sort of boost you think you'll crank it up to? I'm contemplating a headgasket and stud upgrade just to see what my car can do before doing it properly with a rebuild eventually. 20psi looks to be about the limit from what I can see with just a HG

I would definitely go ahead and do it.. I sold my single 6speed a few years back for peanuts and when the itch came again the price of a 6speed was to much for a weekend car.. so I bought a Na-t and it’s been superb no regrets at all. I’ve done some other upgrades since I’ve had it and it’s all a learning curve..