The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's a Wobbly Bolt?

Soop Dogg

OK this is the story.

I'm about to buy a new set of OZ Superleggera III wheels.

Apparently, OZ can supply the size I require, but the stud pattern is Mercedes fitment which they machine slightly to fit the Supe.

They have suggested, as an alternative to machining the holes, supplying something known as a 'wobbly bolt'. I assume this is some type of eccentric set-up to allow the bolts to exactly match the wheel holes. I'm unsure about this as I have never heard of it before, but I am assured it is completely safe.

Anyone here know anything about this?

My guess is that it's called a wobbly bolt because somehow it's mounted eccentrically, so that as it turns it 'wobbles'.

In some way or another they get it to go into the hub so that the end is in line with the bolt-holes in the wheel.

I just wanted someone who knows of this type of thing to tell me if it's a satisfactory sort of thing to be doing.

If so I can have the wheels in a couple of days. Otherwise it'll be at least a couple of weeks.

:(

Guest Martin F

Do they come with wibbly sockets ?

:D

Sorry couldn't help myself. Be interested to hear the answer from somebody more knowledgeable.

Originally posted by Brian Duff

OK this is the story.

I'm about to buy a new set of OZ Superleggera III wheels.

Apparently, OZ can supply the size I require, but the stud pattern is Mercedes fitment which they machine slightly to fit the Supe.

They have suggested, as an alternative to machining the holes, supplying something known as a 'wobbly bolt'. I assume this is some type of eccentric set-up to allow the bolts to exactly match the wheel holes. I'm unsure about this as I have never heard of it before, but I am assured it is completely safe.

Anyone here know anything about this?

Abortion, sodding butchers!! Tell them to get stuffed! Jeez, OZ make nice race wheels, but for their road car people to suggest this makes my blood boil. Ask them if the centre spigot hole is EXACTLY the right size for the sigot on the MKIV hubs. If it isn't run a mile. A wheel either fits or it doesn't, maybe, just MAYBE I could live with a steel or ali properly machined adaptor ring to bring the OD of the wheel spigot hole down to the hub spigot size, IF it was Loctied into the wheel on a steeped shoulder so you didn't have to *iss about with it every time the wheel wqas refitted, but WOBBLY BOLTS..... Pass my pills please!

wonder if its the same thing i have on my volk split rims. the wheels on there own wont fit the supra hubs, so have got some relocating spacers. they convert the supra hubs to the volk split rims via a spacer. they were on the car when i bought it. i know they are not ideal, they are a pain in ass swopping form the 17`s to 19`s

if you buying new wheels they should fit perfect for a supra in correct widths.i would look else where.

there is loads of smart wheels.

Originally posted by John Packham

Monkeymark - you don't happen to have a photo of this device do you, I'm trying to figure out what it does.

is it the same thing you talking about

it is a spacer that bolts to the supra hub and has a different bolt pattern in order to get the volk split rims to fit. dont know what car the wheels were ment for.

if i get up early tommorow will take a wheel off and take a couple of photos. i have seen them on the web for sale but they aint cheap like normal spacers.dont know if its a pcd sort of thing that changes from 114.3 to 100pcd

not ideal, if i was you i would look for wheels that you dont have to mess about getting them to fit.

I don't think any of the replies I have seen here (including CW's) are what the original poster refers too.

I believe I have seen the 'wobbly nuts' that Brian is referring too, and they have nothing to do with centering the wheel, using spacers, or bolt-on spacers with a different PCD.

They are used when say you have a wheel which is close to the original PCD but not close enough. So, if the Supra is 114.3mm, you can use say a wheel that has 115 or 116mm PCD.

The wheel nut has a cone which can move separately to the actual thread. Thus, the cone sits squarely in the wheel, whilst the stud and nut is slightly offset.

I am not experienced enough with wheels to say if it is safe or not. For sure, I would prefer to use a wheel with the proper offset in the first place (which as we know are available) and save the 'wobbly nut' method as a last resort if there are no other options.

That said, I see no reason why it shouldn't be perfectly safe.

Ibrah?

Nathan

TDI PLC