• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

moved the engine for more working access

image70 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

swapped over the old supra steering wheel and now using a celica one, cheap and certainly alot nicer to drive with

image71 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image72 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

keeping the space beneath stereo open for a gauge pod :D

pas pump on, just need to make up a bracket where the ac would go

image73 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

started replacing the vacuum pipework around the turbos because they had all gone hard and brittle with age

image74 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new bearing in the aux belt tensioner pulley

image75 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

got a water pump off my mate, it was a genuine toyota item that had done 3 weeks on a car and most of that was not even on the road, good as new, so i just replaced all the gaskets around it when fitting

image76 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

my engine had the water pump done in japan usign an aftermarket brand, alot of the time they're actually just all from the same company as oem toyota use but have the toyota marks ground back

image77 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

stripped

image78 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

old o ring removed from block and new one put in, also both o rings on the tall water pipe

image79 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image80 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image81 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new temp sensor in too

image82 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

made up some oil drain lines for the turbos, also heat protected one of them closer to the exhaust

image83 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

thermostat back in and lower rad hose

image84 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so i'm at a bit of a tricky point now, i have a full set of valve stem seals i could fit but i don't know if the engine needs them yet

it'll be ALOT easier doing them just now rather than later though, i have the intention to use the rope trick like poormanmods on youtube did and that way you don't take the head off

if not, then this lot is going onto the engine tomorrow night

image85 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

added the brake servo fitting for the intake manifold with new sealing washers

image86 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

also replaced most of the vacuum pipes with new silicone hose

image87 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

i need a rear sump dipstick tube! just remembered,

stripped the rocker covers and other parts off to access the stem seals

found some writing on the exh camshaft, not sure what that means

image88 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

cams out, really clean in here :D

image89 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

followed factory service manual for removal making sure to follow slackening procedure

image90 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

used the poormanmods video on youtube and copied what he done, the rope trick

image91 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

bucket and lifter off

image92 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image93 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

one of 24 removed

image94 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

during

image95 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new camshaft seals for both sides

image96 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

old crap

image97 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new rocker cover gaskets going on

image98 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new belt on, turned vvti pulley fully clockwise then timed in correctly using the dash instead of the dot's on the pulleys once the crank was at tdc1

image99 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

some new grade 7 copper plugs in

image100 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

back together with no bolts on the blue cover as that needs to come back off for the loom

image101 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

i still need to get the following:

dash gauge temp sensor

rear sump dipstick tube

sump oil level sensor or blanking plate

air conditioning bracket to support power steering pump

wiring loom made up and fitted to the engine

r154 flywheel/clutch

Nice little project, well done for taking it on. Always nice to see another saved.

thanks, too many people taking these cars purely for breaking them

as I said to the guy I took it from, I couldn't bear to see a supra lay up not moving haha

my r154 arrived today :D woohoo!

so I need a few bits:

r154 slave cylinder

2jz bel housing for r154

r154 pull type pressure clutch cover

just ordered a new spigot bearing and I'm going to try get the flywheel resurfaced that came with my gearbox

Guest Cillian

love this build, followed your s14 build on sxoc over the years, still have my s14's too!

Most impressive part here is the amount of progress you make in a short space of time, great work!

• 2 weeks later...
love this build, followed your s14 build on sxoc over the years, still have my s14's too!

Most impressive part here is the amount of progress you make in a short space of time, great work!

oh aye thanks, the s14 has been stored since it's insurance ran out in august, I've not had the time or the money to do anything with it just now as it's being consumed by this supra haha

================================

update:

took my r154 flywheel for skimming since i'll be using a new clutch, had very little taken off so it's perfectly flat now, some of the original face is still there

image102 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

went to fill the engine up with the new oil, using titan pro race 15w50, half filled the engine with that and will use an ordinary 5w50 comma motorsport oil for the rest just for the first start to run for 5 minutes then will drain and put in the titan pro race oil with another new filter

image103 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

made a start at the aristo loom

cut out all of the autobox loom and labeled up which wires are +b etc

image104 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image105 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

toyota r154 bel housing arrived

image106 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image107 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

competition clutch organic r154 disc

image108 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

toyota oem r154 clutch cover

image109 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

toyota r154 slave cylinder

image110 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

toyota release bearing

image111 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

carpet cleaning

image112 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

clutch hub washers arrived

image113 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

bearing assembled onto hub

image114 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then complete unit into cover

image115 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

got cracking on saturday morning and the sun came out too which was great as i was expecting to be freezing my nuts off

image116 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

ready to lift and pull, my trusty old s14 wheels always used as jacks to lift the car up high enough, pulled many engines out with these supporting

everything disconnected that needed to be, i'd unbolted the exhaust manifold because the bolts were siezed into the cat and i didn't have my grinder or any form of heat

one side fell off so i guess that was where my exhaust leak up front was haha, a dead flexi join

image117 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so that's the ge and w58 out the way, i began using a degreasing and shampoo mix on the engine bay

image118 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image119 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

still needs tidied but it's 100x cleaner than it was

image120 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

engine out and laid carefully onto blocks of wood ontop of a caster frame

image122 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

not had alot of spare time recently, made a good dent into the wiring loom job however

extended every wire on the aristo ecu plugs through my mkiv n/a loom bullkhead grommit down to match ecu mounting position

image123 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

serious amount of soldering done, heatshrink used on every join and also taped over the top for extra protection

here's a clearer picture of what's going on with the wiring now and where i'm up to

top left section is the vvti turbo aristo engine loom plugs

top right is mkiv n/a alternator, coolant temp dash sensor, starter solenoid, p/s switch, fuse box plugs and a few others required for the chassis

bottom left is all extended aristo ecu plugs with supra wires waiting to be joined in for ecu power, +b, mrel, power to coils and injectors, igsw, crank wire, rpm output etc

bottom right is mkiv body plugs so the orange and grey dash plugs giving various inputs/outputs required

so i need another evening's soldering and loom wrapping then hopefully it'll work fine, used the one main feed wire that was there originally for coils and injectors form the n/a and joined it into the coils/inj on the vvti loom as i figured my car already has a relay to switch those on, my s14 had one relay doing both coils and injectors and worked fine so should be ok in this

worst case is i just split the two main red power feeds and add 2 new 30amp relays to them

image124 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

mk3 supra r154 front propshaft pieced together with the mkiv bearing carrier and flange for propshaft ready to go!

image125 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

w58 is sold and posted

arp flywheel 4ag corolla bolts arrived

image126 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

rear main seal

image127 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

rear spats arrived

image128 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

Edited by jonny mac (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

will be updating this soon with more pics of what's going on, decided to remove the ac rad from car and pump from engine, never use ac myself and the rad was not in the best condition anyway

here's my to do list:

finish wiring

oil level sensor gasket + refit into sump

dipstick new o ring plus refit into sump

sandwich plate gauge senders to fit then bolt to engine

remove engine stand and lay engine onto a tyre for fitting gearbox

rear main seal

flywheel

clutch+gearbox onto engine

attach loom to engine before fitting to car

go over every vacuum line again and jubilee clips for water pipes

fit alternator

fit aux belt

fit coolant temp sensor for dash on supra

my whifbitz 3" 2nd decat arrived, I also have now got to make a custom front decat as the aristo one doesn't look like it'll work due to the flange and angles being different to the supra mkiv system

I've also been looking at intercooler pipework and because the aristo twin's come out at a different angle it's looking like a custom top pipe will be needed also

getting there slowly but the weather sucks and I have very limited time just now due to busy family life!

some of you may fancy a look at my other project car I've recently 'finished' back in august after many years

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?346240-1-5JZ-Forged-S14-Silvia&p=4250155#post4250155

forgot to upload this pic of my r154, it is from a jzx100 so had remote shifter which fits the mkiv perfectly

image129 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

alternator quickly tidied up

image130 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new bel housing going on from toyota

image131 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image132 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

dash coolant temp sensor new from toyota

image133 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

air con bracket and alternator on the engine now

image134 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

found a dipstick that'll work from another rear sump, also put in the level sensor

it has been painted and tidied up also

image135 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

solid shifter bushes for the r154 tripod

image136 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

also tidied up the r154 box with some paint before it's put on the engine

image137 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

took advantage of the black friday deals and saved £20 on a decat pipe from garagewhifbitz

• 2 weeks later...

I love revivals like this! Bringing it back from the dead. There is 2 supras in the same condition by my work in oldbury, infact 1 is worse. There is a black 1 which is now green with moss/ algae and a white 1 which was also green but is has had 1 wash of what i know off in the last 5 years. Both motors have not moved at all and both are with 1 mile of each other! Such a shame, the white 1 looks pretty smart, its got gold bbs wheels on it too

I love revivals like this! Bringing it back from the dead. There is 2 supras in the same condition by my work in oldbury, infact 1 is worse. There is a black 1 which is now green with moss/ algae and a white 1 which was also green but is has had 1 wash of what i know off in the last 5 years. Both motors have not moved at all and both are with 1 mile of each other! Such a shame, the white 1 looks pretty smart, its got gold bbs wheels on it too

thanks, yeah they sound a bit far gone, I'd easily take them and try though haha, the black one I have I guessi just got lucky that it wasn't rotten, nothing like a gamble haha

I believe pictures of the white one were doing the rounds at one point. Story was the guy's son originally owned the car, but sadly passed away. Apparently they would always clean it together and so after he passed the father never washed it again, but would often be seen driving around in it.

How much of that is true I don't know.....

I believe pictures of the white one were doing the rounds at one point. Story was the guy's son originally owned the car, but sadly passed away. Apparently they would always clean it together and so after he passed the father never washed it again, but would often be seen driving around in it.

How much of that is true I don't know.....

Thats tragic if it is the case, ive done a little digging and im sure he was a member on here called crashoverride but not been active for a long time. Sorry to go off topic

Happy new year!

unfortuantely i've not had a chance to do anything really, family life has been non stop lately so i've not had any spare time to get near stuff

here's just a few things i've managed with the 5 minutes a week i've had spare :S

oil level sensor in

image138

dash temp gauge in, along with the new ecu temp sensor

image139

thinking about it, i should have had a 1/8th npt bung welded onto the water neck for an aftermarket gauge sender

nevermind i'll just have to run one inline in the top hose

chopped up ac pump used as pas bracket support like intended from original setup

image140

and lastly swapped out the na throttle cable for a TT one

image141

the situation right now is i don't have the space to lift the engine off the stand and fit the rear main seal/flywheel/clutch/gearbox

the reason being, it'll literarly have to be put in the car the same day as i wont get my garage door shut with the engine/box combo together

but before i do that....i still have some work to do to the engine bay, i'd like to rub back a few small bits and tidy it up

my brake servo needs a rub back and painted too, along with the radiator crossmember so i'm just waiting on a nice dry weekend now to get all that done

once the car is ready, then i'll just be waiting on a day i have good weather and a free saturday to get working on the car!

• 3 weeks later...