The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are Supe Drivers getting the mentality of BM drivers?

Guest chiefvinso

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

petrolhead /petrlhed/ noun (BrE, informal) a person who is extremely enthusiastic about cars and driving, especially fast cars and motor racing, and who does not want to use any other sort of transport: Will petrolheads ever leave their cars? We are a petrolhead society. Speed may thrill petrolheads, but many pressure groups are keen to point out that it kills too. This new car will set any petrolhead’s heart pumping, and there is little doubt that it will sell. To drive your choice of top motor would be petrolhead heaven.

Petrolhead is an example of a compound noun, which is a noun that is made by combining two other words (in this case the nouns petrol + head). Like the words crackhead, cokehead and soccer-head, it describes addiction to or great enthusiasm for something. Another similar word is Motörhead, the name of a famous heavy metal band.

I'm not in the stereotype band then, I rarely use the supe to it's full potential or even half!! I get moaned at by passengers including my gf and my dad that I drive too slow, get told off for leaving too big a gap when in traffic and not 'filling' the gap if the car in front moves forward 3 feet!!!! grrr. Often get overtaken by a following car if I wait till my exit is clear before entering a box junction!!! WTF is that about.

Anyhoo, I do like the thrill of going fast, but rarely allow myself to experience it. Don't ask me why I bought the car I'll probably end up concluding that I'm an attention seeker (rice boy).

I'm not in the stereotype band then, I rarely use the supe to it's full potential or even half!! I get moaned at by passengers including my gf and my dad that I drive too slow, get told off for leaving too big a gap when in traffic and not 'filling' the gap if the car in front moves forward 3 feet!!!! grrr. Often get overtaken by a following car if I wait till my exit is clear before entering a box junction!!! WTF is that about.

Anyhoo, I do like the thrill of going fast, but rarely allow myself to experience it. Don't ask me why I bought the car I'll probably end up concluding that I'm an attention seeker (rice boy).

most of that is just good driving and i do the same

Agreed, no need to drive dangerously like a tw*t just because you're into fast cars!

I mostly drive quite gently and safely because I don't want to be speeding excessively all the time. I'm often driving faster in my run around lol.

What annoys me is when people assume they have beaten you because they are prepared to drive like a fool and you are not - still it will be their loss when the law of statistics takes it's toll on them...

What annoys me is when people assume they have beaten you because they are prepared to drive like a fool and you are not - still it will be their loss when the law of statistics takes it's toll on them...

Isn't that what our "spirited driving" forum fails to note ?

Are our Supras beating Porsches because such owners cannot be arsed to go over 140 leptons, I often wonder ? Are WE not the "wide boys" ? Such stories noted in that forum must surely fit your comment above, as a result ?

yeah for sure, it works both ways, that goes without saying really - I hope we are not the wide boys though, don't want to add that to the stereotype lol.

If you were struggling to keep up or fairly evenly matched and suddenly you zoom past you can be sure the other person has eased off - not sure all drivers think like this though.

I've purposely driven only as fast as the Nova/Saxo/whatever from the lights before, because it's funny that I can so easily keep up with them on low throttle. I wonder if Lambo and Ferrari owners do that when they see us alongside them (not all Supes obviously as a large selection are quicker than them now!!).

I'm sure with the modifying scene of jap cars now, we're seen as just as bad as the chavs in 1.2s by 'higher' car owners.

It shouldn't be the case, a saxo is a completely different starting point and has a completely different capability to the supra!

As you say, a fair proportion of supras can "own" much more expensive machinery these days, can't say the same for a typically riced saxo...

Therefore I'd hope the supra deserves some respect, you wouldn't want to underestimate one regardless of what you were driving, prancing horse or otherwise. A saxo, well if you give it the benefit of the doubt you are more likely to be well overestimating it's capability lol.

If I owned a Ferarri, I'd be the worried one that a 10 year old car costing a fraction of the price was going to give me a run or even open a can of whoop ass!