The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My pride and joy!

Chris Bailey

Afternoon all,

Just a little update, since I've had the car I've been wanting to spend an afternoon cleaning the car up as I don't think the previous owner took much care of the car, there are various stone chips on the front bumper, tar spots on the lower side skirts etc. So I decided to spend a couple of hours cleaning the car whilst we had some nice weather.

First the car was cleaned, then polished using Poorboy's Polish, and waxed to seal it.

imageimage

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures during the progress, will do that next time! Although happy with how the car came out. Removed the bulk of the tar spots with Poorboy's bug&tar remover and managed to remove a few light marks around the car with T-cut for white cars. I do plan on clay baring the whole car when I get the time, Although the front bumper would benefit from a respray as the paint is very thin according to other GT86 owners which I will get a quote from my work bodyshop. But being a pearl colour I cant imagine it will be cheap!

This weekend just gone I had my car serviced at my local Toyota dealership, it was due it's 40,000 mile service which is the "big one" so to speak. This means replacing the spark plugs which for any mechanical minded person out there will know it's a pain in the back side being its a flat four boxer engine. A full service is £600 purely for the amount of labour to lift the engine of the mounts to change the spark plugs. I didn't pay full price mind you as my mate works at my local Toyota dealership as the sales manager so I get mates rates :D

Whilst the car was in having a service I had a couple of things checked which was bugging me.

First thing being a slight wind noise above 70mph from the drivers door seal, I noticed there was a small gap by the window allowing road noise and water through. Luckily this is a common problem and will be getting replaced under warranty.

Also the mechanic found that my O/S/R wheel bearing was noisy, can't say I noticed it when driving, but again being replaced under warranty.

Thank god for Toyota's 5 year warranty...:D

But all in all still love the car to pieces and have many plans for it in my head so be sure to stay tuned to this thread to find out more...

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

Little update, managed to pick up a second hand Cobra 2.5" Catback exhaust from Mark at Abbey Motorsport. Hopefully should be arriving with me tomorrow so looking to get that fitted over the weekend :) also purchased a Whiteline front strut brace which again should arrive tomorrow. Although strut braces don't add much difference to the handling I liked the look of it because it's shiny and it was well priced so I snapped it up :D

imageimageimageimageimage

I've been spending abit of money recently on a few items for the GT86, first being the Cobra 2.5" Resonated catback exhaust which arrived yesterday. Hope to get this fitted tomorrow morning. Shout out to Abbey Motorsport for the good service and quick delivery. image

Next up is more of a "cosmetic" item that I know won't make much difference to the handling but it was shiny and my finger slipped on the "confirm and buy" button :D image

It's a Whiteline front strut brace which should look nice under the bonnet.

And last but not least is an item I've heard good things about from other GT86 owners with it fitted. A Beatrush brake master cylinder stopper which improves brake pedal feel and has been proven to work. So for £40 I though why the heck not! Again I will be fitting this over the weekend :)

That's all for now folks!

Coming along nicely Chris.

Thanks Mike, slow and steady as the saying goes. I haven't got unlimited funds unfortunately. So I'm just buying parts as and when I can. I'd like a set of wheels and lower the car but that will have to wait I'm afraid. Can't wait to get the exhaust fitted though!

Looking good Chris, the whiteline products are usually pretty good and do make a difference on supra parts they do anyway and if it doesnt its nice n shiney

Heard good things about Whiteline, there products are well priced. Apparently the adjustable antiroll bars are good so will probably give them a shot later down the line.

Thanks Mike, slow and steady as the saying goes. I haven't got unlimited funds unfortunately. So I'm just buying parts as and when I can. I'd like a set of wheels and lower the car but that will have to wait I'm afraid. Can't wait to get the exhaust fitted though!

Saw one recently with wheel change and lowered, makes a big difference to the look of the car:)

• 3 months later...

I've fallen behind on this thread somewhat, not much has changed but I have fitted a new pair of rear tyres as the Michelin primacy 3's what I had before had done 42500miles and were due for a change. I wanted something that had good dry grip but was still good in the wet because the car is used daily. After looking at a few options, in the end I settled for Yokohama Advan Sport V105's and I'm happy to say they stick like sh*t to a blanket :D I'm very impressed with them so far and gives me more confidence to push the car a little harder.

Ive already purchased 4x cans of black Plastidip to spray the stock wheels, I was looking to buy some new wheels but unfortunately I don't have the money yet to do that, so to hide the kurb rash on the stock wheels I thought I'd spray them black. I also like the look of black wheels against a white car, a bonus is aswell if they look rubbish I can just peel the plastidip off.

Last but not least, I've got some OEM rear discs and HAWK HPS pads on order from Fensport to fit when they arrive. I've also managed to pick up a Raceseng Sphereology CNC aluminium gear knob which are probably one of the best gearknobs made and are import only, it's weighs 428g so it's a hefty piece of metal.

I'm hoping for these parts to arrive this week so I can fit them on my day off Friday and prep the car for Suprapod on Saturday.

Nice, i bought a 500g weighted knob for the supra ages ago as an impulse buy and was actually amazed at how it felt, so much better especially for fast shifting

It should make a big difference, 2nd gear is hard to engage in the GT86 when the gearbox is cold, it does improve when up to temp. But the heavier gearknob should eliminate that and make the gear changes feel more precise. I'll give it a good test at Suprapod hopefully!

It should make a big difference, 2nd gear is hard to engage in the GT86 when the gearbox is cold, it does improve when up to temp. But the heavier gearknob should eliminate that and make the gear changes feel more precise. I'll give it a good test at Suprapod hopefully!

How was the test at pod ?