The mkiv Supra Owners Club

changing the starter motor...

ShawnPreece

No worries Shawn, enjoy the long weekend.

As starter motors need a LOT of current that's always the best way to check any future no starter turning issues on any car. You would have measured 12V at the starter ternminal, or battery terminal UNTIL you loaded the supply by turning the key to the start position, then the current draw would be too much for the bad connection, damaged wire, bad ground, whatever, and the voltage would sag dramatically.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it out in the end, there's no chance of it dropping out, the gap is almost the exact same size as the motor. I replaced the copper contacts and plunger, I managed to get the motor back through the tiny gap, now trying to get it back in, it's not easy lying on your back!

I swapped my copper contacts in mine a couple of years ago, wasn't to bad to get off from underneath but was a pain to get back on. It took me hours trying to line up the bolt holes from underneath specially when you couldn't even see them. Eventually I did it. It would of been much easier if I had proper ramps rather then trolley jacks and axle stands.

I bought a £15 repair kit from eBay and mine has been spot on ever since 👍

as said before, the top bolt took some getting at with many extensions!

I know it wasn't the solution this time, but may help someone out if they are searching for info

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291534569789

Edited by squiffy (see edit history)

I bought a £15 repair kit from eBay and mine has been spot on ever since 

as said before, the top bolt took some getting at with many extensions!

I know it wasn't the solution this time, but may help someone out if they are searching for info

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291534569789

/QUOTE]

The bolts weren't a problem it, took me 20 minutes to get them loose while using a very long 3/8 wobbly extension to get to the top bolt.

The problem was getting it out of the car, it took a good few hours to get it on the table, the gap just wasn't big enough for it to get through. I took some photos of the various positions the motor was in before I could free it. Once off the refurb took about 20 mins at the most, I too bought the kit off eBay, I was impressed with the quality of the parts and they were easy to fit. Getting the motor back on was a bitch, I couldn't see the bolt holes to line them up, in the end I positioned an endoscope camera directly above the up bolt, and I could clearly see on my laptop screen when the hole on the motor and the top bolt were aligned, it then only took a matter of minutes to get the top bolt in :rolleyes:

IMG_6164.jpg IMG_6166.jpg IMG_6167.jpg IMG_6168.jpg IMG_6169.jpg IMG_6170.jpg

The bolts weren't a problem it, took me 20 minutes to get them loose while using a very long 3/8 wobbly extension to get to the top bolt.

The problem was getting it out of the car, it took a good few hours to get it on the table, the gap just wasn't big enough for it to get through. I took some photos of the various positions the motor was in before I could free it. Once off the refurb took about 20 mins at the most, I too bought the kit off eBay, I was impressed with the quality of the parts and they were easy to fit. Getting the motor back on was a bitch, I couldn't see the bolt holes to line them up, in the end I positioned an endoscope camera directly above the up bolt, and I could clearly see on my laptop screen when the hole on the motor and the top bolt were aligned, it then only took a matter of minutes to get the top bolt in :rolleyes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]218501[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]218502[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]218503[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]218504[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]218505[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]218506[/ATTACH]

haha for me, it was the other way round. getting it out of the gap and back in was fine