Hey

Some advise to the noob , getting a bike for the odd sunny day, sport bike

Gear wise I am looking for the most protective

Online Shops

https://www.fc-moto.de/

http://www.motocard.com

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk

Boots

I was looking at a few reviews on Revzilla , I like the protection systems of the Alpinestars MX 6 Plus or the Sidi ST , some good prices online

Is Gor-tex worth the extra? any advise please

Jacket

I got the Dainese Laguna EVO , kind of wished I got a black jacket but white does look stunning

Protectors

The Jacket has provisions for a G1 and G2 back protector, worth getting? or alternatives better?

Gloves

I have Dainese Carbon Cover ST Gloves

Pants

I was going to just buy the Kevlar Jeans ( any advise please on brands to get) and would you suggest getting leather pants

Helmet

I was looking at Sharp ratings , I like the look for the AGV range , K3 is 4 star , Corsa/Pista 5 star ; I was surprised to see majority for the Arai helmets 3-4 star range especially at their price point

Based on this was thinking AGV K3 due to 4 star rating and price point

I just bought a arai rx7v lid, really nice lid

I have a mixture of Alpinestars, Furygan and RST suits, jackets boots etc.. I would not buy them on line personally.. I would try them on and buy form a shop as each brand will have a slightly different fitment

I just bought a arai rx7v lid, really nice lid

I have a mixture of Alpinestars, Furygan and RST suits, jackets boots etc.. I would not buy them on line personally.. I would try them on and buy form a shop as each brand will have a slightly different fitment

I am trying to find somewhere I can try on and buy here

Problem is in Ireland , trying to find a stockist :( I tried on some Alpinestars MX6 Plus , 299 here and 257 online

Hey

Some advise to the noob , getting a bike for the odd sunny day, sport bike

Gear wise I am looking for the most protective

Online Shops

https://www.fc-moto.de/

http://www.motocard.com

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk

Boots

I was looking at a few reviews on Revzilla , I like the protection systems of the Alpinestars MX 6 Plus or the Sidi ST , some good prices online

Is Gor-tex worth the extra? any advise please

Boots - Depends if you want paddock boots or race boots. If you are in full leathers then paddock boots wont do and the same if in bike jeans. I use the Sidi boots for full leathers (I cant remeber the modle, but with full articulated ankle) and paddock boots when in jeans. Both are fully armoured. The paddock boots are also water proof. In bad weather then I use Gore Tex boots and full textil (not leather) armoured kit. In warm weather the Gore tex stuff causes you to sweat like Jimmy Savelle at a 5 yr olds birthday party.

Jacket

I got the Dainese Laguna EVO , kind of wished I got a black jacket but white does look stunning

Dainese is a good brand but expensive. I also like Hein Gerekie and a Norweigian brand called Halvarssons. Normal riding I use the armour supplied inc back protector. In race leathers I use a seperate back protector fron Knox. They cover the entire back and hips and it works!!!! (Personal experience...T Boned by a car, I flew about 50 feet and landed on my back on the kerb. Only minor brusing!)

Protectors

The Jacket has provisions for a G1 and G2 back protector, worth getting? or alternatives better?

Gloves

I have Dainese Carbon Cover ST Gloves

Yep, Dainese are a good make. I would also get a pair for bad weather with Gore Tex (not any other as they dont work for as long) and fleece lining.

Pants

I was going to just buy the Kevlar Jeans ( any advise please on brands to get) and would you suggest getting leather pants

TROUSERS (Cos we is speaking Engerlish not 'Merican!) The best Bike Jeans on the market are Road Skin. Look them up on Facebook and Youtube, the tests they do are bonkers! Leather bike TROUSERS i would use the same make/model as your jacket so that they will zip together correctly.

Helmet

I was looking at Sharp ratings , I like the look for the AGV range , K3 is 4 star , Corsa/Pista 5 star ; I was surprised to see majority for the Arai helmets 3-4 star range especially at their price point

Based on this was thinking AGV K3 due to 4 star rating and price point

Again, personal preference. You either have an Arai shape head or a Showi shape head. All other makers copy their sizing and shapes and dont do it as well. My personal preference through seeing the remains of accidents (Im a fire fighter) and seeing mates survive (or not) and what they wore and my own accidents...Arai all the way and only ever the most expensive one. The helmet I use on my 250cc twist and go scooter to commute on is...a £500 Arai RX7XX.

It is personal preference but a good rule of thumb is look at twhat the bike jurnos wear, like MCN and Ride, Ride also do very good tests on kit very regularly. Hope this helps.

My answers in red...hopefully!

Guest RobRobRob

If you're only going to use the bike on sunny days why bother paying extra for goretex? It doesn't offer any abrasion/impact benefit. Leathers will hold off light rain for a while and the money you'd save can buy a good set of waterproofs. That said, having a second pair of thin waterproofed gloves is a good idea as they're warmer for early spring/late autumn.

With helmets, stick to composite shells over abs/molded plastic, they're generally lighter. I'd never wear one that doesn't DD strap or a gold ACU sticker (or equivelent) but that's personal preference. I also go for removable liners so they can be given a proper clean.

If you go for kevlar jeans instead of leather kegs, get fully lined. You might also need to get strap-on armour for your knees/shins if they're a loose fit. Some brands also sell connectors so a jacket can be zipped to them: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/103770

Boots, as a minimum, should have ankle protection.

If you're ever thinking of going on a trackday, as far as I know, most places will want a full leather suit with a full connector zip (if it's 2 piece), suitable helmet (eg. not open face), gloves and "proper" boots.

The most important thing is to buy the best kit you can afford.

Isn't the alpinestars MX a motorcross boot? No good on a sports bike, you won't be able to move.

I like Arai lids for the most. Smx boots. I got a few different sets of leathers, alpinestars stuff is nice, RST is decent value and good gear.

Thanks Rob , Jamie

I am looking at the RX7V Arai and Shoei Spirt III Helmet , Shoei did fit better out of the box and was lighter but I like the quality of the Arai and liverly

Sorry SMX, Alpinestars do a SMx 5,6 and sMX plus boot for the road :)

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/96

Was hoping to replace car track days with the bike , yeah you need a full leather suit, think ir needs to be a one piece

Guest RobRobRob

I wouldn't buy a helmet online unless I was replacing like for like. Fit is more important so it helps to try a few different brands on at the same time and if we all keep buying online, there won't be any shops left.

I've got one and two piece leathers, two piece are far more comfortable off the bike and fine for the odd track day if they've got a full zip. It depends where you plan on doing most of your riding.

I live in Ireland Rob :) Uk do not charge VAT on safety gear , uk shops are substantially cheaper in most instances

Unless it is 20-30 euro in the difference, I try here and buy online

I got my k5 Agv from uk for 299 euro delivered , it is 458 euro here

Alpinestars kr-c chest protector is 159 euro here and 44 euro delivered from the uk

What bike are you getting?

Bandit , to start off ;) Did my first module yesterday , so far so good!

Getting use to the controls is a little daunting , slipping the clutch is odd coming from a car plus your hands/feet controls are reversed , alot going on at the moment , and trying to tie in your surroundings , mirrors , blind spots ....

Was doing some nice lines and tidy figure of 8's after an hour , first time sitting on a bike

That be ok, they are a big old lump but easy to ride.

Just take your time, everyone thinks they can ride after a few weeks on the bike. I do about 9000 miles a year on my bikes and I'm still learning. Best thing is to go out with experienced riders. You soon pick up the best way to ride.

Always expect them to pull out on you, be ready! I always cover my brakes with one finger, even when accelerating.

Thanks Jamie

I am currently doing an 18 hour course with Aiden , paid a bit extra to use Aiden due to his qualifications , he teaches advanced driving and is a race instructor , he has some mileage under his belt , 500,000

Was never in an accident , teaching me his system to stay safe ; I am like a sponge at the minute

On his advice I Got some chest protection too in the form of the Alpinestars track vest 2

Have a few experienced guys lined up and will use Aiden for a few additional lessons , plan on doing a few a year going forward , just to stay focused , as you say you can always improve :)

Isn't the alpinestars MX a motorcross boot? No good on a sports bike, you won't be able to move.

I like Arai lids for the most. Smx boots. I got a few different sets of leathers, alpinestars stuff is nice, RST is decent value and good gear.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/53235EC4-0AB9-4258-BB13-0C253E73F3A9.jpg

Nice collection there JP. I'm down to one helmet now sir.