The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V160 Gearbox

Guest Marek300zx

Damn Chris, I've always thought the T56 was "smoother" than the agricultural V160...

It's this "agricultural" side of the V160 that makes me really not love it, I currently have one double disk clutch V160 TT at home for some works, this is really a "pain" when playing with the gears.

I really don't like the feeling :/

It would be interesting to test a muscle car with this T56 gearbox, but which one has this gearbox ?

I'm planning to use my n/a A01A open diff and fit in it my OS GIKEN LSD... Am I still good for a ~600hp area ? Or is it too weak ??

(I'm not at 600hp now haha but this is my goal for the next yeeeeaaaars...)

I'm dreaming to use the combo T56 and this diff to equip my supra with the most new parts than possible... is it good, or ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The base T-56 like fitted to the Cossie Sierras was fairly smooth, but the big torque ones you will have to use are a different beast. Some fairly recent Yank muscle cars use them, i think they call them Magnums or something. I have driven a couple of Dodge Vipers and they have big torque T56 in them, but the whole thing was like driving a fast truck. The magnums or whatever they are called are after market ones and have a slightly more sensible 6th gear (about .63 I think). the Viper ones have something ridiculous like a .5 6th gear ratio, so you would definitely need a much lower diff ratio to get any sensible overall ratios. By the time you have buggered about with none stock diffs, driveshafts and propshafts, tried to make a bellhousing and get the gear lever somewhere sensible, made mounts and sorted a clutch you are into BIG money and could have bought a couple of used Getrags that just bolt in....

And forget BHP, you MUST work in lbs ft, or whatever metric value people work in, of torque. A strong Supra engine would tear an F1 gearbox apart. 700 BHP with sod all torque is far kinder to transmissions than 400 BHP with diesel turbo like torque. It's torque and shock loads that kill gearboxes, diffs and driveshafts. Plus you MUST calculate the gear ratios of the gearbox versus the diff and your engine RPM range otherwise you'll bolt together something that is all but unusable. Most of the Yank boxes run behind big torque old school pushrod engines that don't rev, so have very tall (over driven) top gears to get the top speed up. Don't let fashion dictate that you need six gears, five are more than adequate behind a turbo engine. Diesel boxes are the same, and need a very low ratio diff.

Ok I understand what you say, I definately plan to build a torquey supra in the futur...

I would like to make smth different... the t56 was perfect haha.

I saw that real st have put a sequential gearbox... but that must not be for road use...

I definately need smth for road use haha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.