The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V160 Gearbox

Guest Marek300zx

Joel Grannas would disagree!

https://www.grannasracing.com/pages/v160-vs-t56-magnum-gearing

I know what I'd drop my money into. Joel Grannas has done all the hard work. Yeah, the Getrag is a perfect fit but unless it's brand new you don't know if it will need a rebuild anyway, and then there's the fact some parts are unavailable. Diff would need some thinking on though..

seems to work well enough!

No offence but people need to do their research. There is no large case diff with a suitable ratio ( small diffs wont cut it) so you will need a custom driveshaf shop set up which is another 7k ish.

If you think joels is so good why dont you ask to price you up his set up ;) as thats the only t56 setup for 1000rwhp with suitable ratios for a supra.

Your 7000 euros will be doubled.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel Grannas would disagree!

https://www.grannasracing.com/pages/v160-vs-t56-magnum-gearing

I know what I'd drop my money into. Joel Grannas has done all the hard work. Yeah, the Getrag is a perfect fit but unless it's brand new you don't know if it will need a rebuild anyway, and then there's the fact some parts are unavailable. Diff would need some thinking on though..

seems to work well enough!

He is trying to sell them. With the t56/tremec you need a 4.28 diff to get decent gearing, a small case 3.7 will be wrong and wouldn't last two min at any decent power, the only option is the Ford diff that Joel runs himself.

He is trying to sell them. With the t56/tremec you need a 4.28 diff to get decent gearing, a small case 3.7 will be really short and wouldn't last two min at any decent power, the only option is the Ford diff that Joel runs himself.

Dont worry they know best ;)

Really? He said a set up for 1000rwhp.

For the second time. Case closed.

Or if you want to carry on arguing an invalid point post on this thread a full t56 kit which includes diff as its a 'kit' which has suitable ratios for a supra and will stand upto 1000rwhp like he stated for 7000 euros or less.....

Didnt think so.

Also to state that the v160/v161 can take 1000hp so the t56 can as well because its rated 200ftlbs more is just plain stupid.

1000rwhp isn't FT/LBS. The t56 is shown as Torque, not BHP. as discussed hundreds of times on here, it's torque what kills gearboxes/drive-train not BHP.

If the V160 is rated around 5/600ft/lbs (ish) and can take 1000bhp... Then a 700ft/lbs gearbox can also take 1000bhp which is the point i was making.

I only browsed the dyno section for a small while but it seems the highest power car in there has a Power figure - 821 hub HP Torque figure - 644 ftlbs which means the t56 would be suitable.

I don't get why you are trying to dismiss it, it's good for the supra market that there are alternatives. Allbeit, the T56 might not offer the types of ratios to make the drive decent enough for some people, but you can still get one for 4200quid that will handle 1000bhp and 700ft/lbs of torque.

If you want 1000ft/lbs it's 6286gbp.

It dosent matter what power the box is good for, even if you used the small case diff at 3.7 ratio it would explode at half the power the box is rated at, the only option is the Ford diff, and that makes the T56/tremec a very exspensive option.

I nearly bought one of these as it sounds good on paper, but when I looked into it I realised it's a waste of time unless you're prepared to fit the Ford diff.

It dosent matter what power the box is good for, even if you used the small case diff at 3.7 ratio it would explode at half the power the box is rated at and you would top out at 150mph, the only option is the Ford diff, and that makes the T56/tremec a very exspensive option.

I nearly bought one of these as it sounds good on paper, but when I looked into it I realised it's a waste of time unless you're prepared to fit the Ford diff.

Exactly what i did. Some people wont be told though.

Sorry guys, but the small mk4 Supra case is an 8'' inch diff. This diff is a beast also , and has good potential with a TRD, Cusco, Tomei,etc. LSD.

If it has the same internals as the 8'' inch mk3 turbo Supra then it can withstand 900-1000 hp / 700lbs of torque. And we all know that torque vs mass is the equation on killing

drivetrain components, and the mk3 Supra weights 3700-3800 lbs.

I myself run for 3 years the stock mk3 drivetrain R154 gearbox / driveshaft / 8'' turbo 3.7 gear differential with 720 whp.

And now I run a V160 and 950whp using the oem rear diff with an upgraded LSD.

So, if the mk4 8'' diff has the same internals with the mk3 8'' diff will deliver the big power with no issues until around 1000 hp.

I've broke a few mk4 small case diff at a lot less power than that, so has many other members, no idea about a mk3 diff sorry. Either way the ratio is still wrong.

So, the mk4 8'' small case must have different internals than the mk3 turbo 8'' case... It would be nice to have both opened side by side to see the differences.

Yeah, the ratio of the diff gearing is a different story!

• 2 weeks later...
Cheaper diff option available for the t56 shortly

https://www.grannasracing.com/blogs/news/how-much-will-that-v160-rebuild-cost

Supra Sport just made a few more gear sets for the V160 , be interesting what a full rebuild would be versus T56 and 8.8" Diff , either way $$$ investment

The gears are pretty expensive, here is a breakdown on the current pricelist:

1st gear: 500 USD (limited to 5 units right now, all original OEM Toyota)

2nd gear: 750 USD billet unit

3rd gear: 375 USD (limited to 10 units now, original OEM Toyota)

4th gear: 750 USD billet unit

Billet shifter sleeve (sleeve only, no hub): 460 USD each

Billet forks 220 USD each

I will give discount as follows:

2 gear combo: 50 USD discount

3 gear combo: 100 USD discount

4 gear combo: 200 USD discount

all gears can be combined (you can also buy 4x second gear for example)

if you buy sleeves combined with gears: 20 USD discount per sleeve

if you buy synchro kits (225 USD for a kit) combined with gears also 20 USD discount per kit

If you buy billet forks combined with gears, also 20 USD discount per fork

Just send me your order and I will send a proformo on paypal and we can go from there. I will try to give discount as much as I can! Bare in mind after discount I am selling for cost.

The prices are applicable for V160 AND for V161. I currently only have V160 gears in the making and I will ship next week or week after. If we agree for V161 gears, I will ship those at a later date (details in PM).

For the technical guys out here. The gears are made out of 17CrNiMo7-6. We machined them first, laserwelded the synchro portion on it, then hardened them and then post process (grinding) them to specs.

The hubs we made out of Toolox steel.

I am also offering rebuild service. If your box needs a rebuild contact me. If you don't have a core, I have currently about 6 V160 and 2 V161 to rebuild and sell to you, so a core is NOT required. I can build the box to your specific need, so with or without billet parts. Full overhaul or just repair the main issue. Shipping from me to wherever is very affordable as I have an excellent deal with FedEx. If your box needs to go to me, we gotta work something out (I dont have very good deals on overseas incoming shipments).

Who is going to explain high and low to this guy, or is it a typo?

"Yes, there are a few downsides. The stock 3.13 six-speed rear rear ratio is just way too ***low*** for this Magnum gearing. The ideal ratio for a magnum to almost identically match it to the V160 gearing is 4.10 -- how does one accomplish this? You can get away with the easiest route, swapping to the Auto TT rear (3.69). It is closer to ideal and still fun to drive, but there are some other options. If you aren't making much power, the NA rear is 4.08, which is perfect... but power handling will be the issue. For me, if you want a reliable setup, the Ford 9" swap or cheaper relative Ford 8.8" is the best solution. I am working on a Ford 8.8 Swap Kit now, it will be a full swap kit with axles and driveshaft, and should be somewhere around $3000 total!"

I always describe the Getrag Supra box as a "bit agricultural". The Tremec is VERY agricultural, the Yanks gearbox development is years behind European and Jap stuff, hell most yanks can't even drive a manual...

The situation with manual TT's will do no harm at all to the value of factory automatic TT's. Guy's, the day of reckoning is coming, will the auto be the TT of choice soon, just in terms of long term running costs....?? :)

The situation with manual TT's will do no harm at all to the value of factory automatic TT's. Guy's, the day of reckoning is coming, will the auto be the TT of choice soon, just in terms of long term running costs....?? :)

Hopefully Public Transport in my area will improve by then ;)

• 8 months later...
Who is going to explain high and low to this guy, or is it a typo?

"Yes, there are a few downsides. The stock 3.13 six-speed rear rear ratio is just way too ***low*** for this Magnum gearing. The ideal ratio for a magnum to almost identically match it to the V160 gearing is 4.10 -- how does one accomplish this? You can get away with the easiest route, swapping to the Auto TT rear (3.69). It is closer to ideal and still fun to drive, but there are some other options. If you aren't making much power, the NA rear is 4.08, which is perfect... but power handling will be the issue. For me, if you want a reliable setup, the Ford 9" swap or cheaper relative Ford 8.8" is the best solution. I am working on a Ford 8.8 Swap Kit now, it will be a full swap kit with axles and driveshaft, and should be somewhere around $3000 total!"

I always describe the Getrag Supra box as a "bit agricultural". The Tremec is VERY agricultural, the Yanks gearbox development is years behind European and Jap stuff, hell most yanks can't even drive a manual...

Just saw this Chris,

Any updates on the 8.8" swap kit?

I've been looking and speaking to Grannas as am interested in this due to having the DCT gearbox.

I was getting confused as to why Grannas state specifically 2007-2010 Explorer diff, is it just the external mounts that differ or are internals different too.

What's LSD are you planning on putting in it as there seems to be dozens out there for Ford 8.8", again I didn't now if all would fit is there specific ones for 2007-2010 Explorer diff?

Indeed I was Chris. Skimmed through it quickly during my lunch break and misread your reply.

So I guess you've not fitted the customers kit?

What did you make of the 8.8" conversion? Did you have to rebuild the diff or did he get it with the correct Crown & Pinion and LSD already fitted?

Alas you're the only person I've come across in the UK that has experience of this 8.8" conversion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.