The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Grievance at work

uzzyuzzy

I wanted to know if anybody else has experienced a similar issue at work and possible avenues that were taken.

I manage a team of 3 people in the UK and about a half dozen in India.

Once of my UK direct reports raised a grievance against me with 17 allegations in total.

95% of the allegations were NOT UPHELD and now I am thinking of doing a counter grievance since the whole investigation has caused me considerable stress at work as well as tarnishing my professional reputation in the organisation.

I also applied for a senior controller position whilst this was happening and I was not selected, I believe because of this grievance.

Should I go ahead with a counter grievance as HR has been very poor in dealing with this issue from the start and now their trying to talk me out of it.

I have not referenced any company or names here so hopefully no issues from this post.

My wife has had some issues like this before.

The best advice anyone can give you is to go to an employment law solicitor. Just because your employer has an internal dispute/grievance procedure it doesn't mean that it is robust or being followed. So find a solicitor close to you and that you can afford and give them everything, they will need this such as your contract of employment and the staff grievance procedure as well as the documented information you were given during your hearings.

It could mean that although you lost the grievance in your companies review you could take them to an employment tribunal as the procedures may not have been legal or followed correctly.

Best of luck.

Guest Budz86

Just reading between the lines, if 95% weren't upheld, 5% were? I'd carefully considered why you are making a counter grievance as yes it has taken its toll on you and your reputation, but if the things that were upheld were so minor that it's almost not worth worrying about, then a counter grievance could further damage you reputation as people might perceive it as petty.

Unfortunately part of management roll involves being a little unpopular at times, but nmost companies expect you to rise above it. You may find that brushing the whole thing off actually helps mend your tarnished reputation. I appreciate it's a very difficult decision to make and the above advice is very general in its view but hopefully it helps.

One thing I've learnt from dealing with the above in the past (from both sides of the table as it were) is that it will take its toll and if you thought your stress levels are high now, trying getting an 'incompetent' HR dept to fight your cause and see what happens to those levels! 😉

What's your specific reason for a counter greivance? 'Just' that they've claimed against you? What was the 5% upheld, do you agree with that 5%, should you change, do they have any point at all, or are they over sensitive, or just 'one of those' claim types.

Hypothetical questions as we've no idea sitting here, I'd try and work out what others think of the situation, it could be your other two uk workers put up with some of your qwerks, they may agree with the third just not feel brave enough to do what they did, or they may dislike their colleague for 'going after you'. Same with management do you know how they feel after the hr business did no one senior chat off the record about it?

I think that the nature of the grievances is important too, if they were sexist, homophobic etc. Then you would be best to keep quiet and plan your exit.

As an ex union official, I have generally found that whilst each story has two sides, there is usually an element of truth in an allegation made against a manager. Has there been a history of staff moving on before a complaint was made?

Sorry if this seems harsh.

What's your specific reason for a counter greivance? 'Just' that they've claimed against you? What was the 5% upheld, do you agree with that 5%, should you change, do they have any point at all, or are they over sensitive, or just 'one of those' claim types.

Hypothetical questions as we've no idea sitting here, I'd try and work out what others think of the situation, it could be your other two uk workers put up with some of your qwerks, they may agree with the third just not feel brave enough to do what they did, or they may dislike their colleague for 'going after you'. Same with management do you know how they feel after the hr business did no one senior chat off the record about it?

The reason for my counter grievance would be for the reputation damage and the false malicious allegations against me that were not up held.

My manager has supported me from the start and has said, this individual is not expected to come back to the company.

The items that were upheld were as follows;

General workload for this individual.

Back fill workload whilst someone was out on leave. I split this equally across the team and picked up activities myself too.

Working late- Although I've never asked or told anybody to stay late.

Job title incorrect in system- not sure why this was upheld since its a workday system issue and HR should have sorted it.

Countering sounds dangerous as even if the allegations were unfounded it doesn't mean that the employee didn't feel that way (if you get what I mean). i.e. 'I felt bullied' is difficult to counter. Sure, no evidence of bullying and maybe the employee is taking everything the wrong way but it is still how they are feeling so technically they may not be in the wrong either.

Talk to your HR team - it sounds like this person if off due to this grievance - sick leave maybe? If so you'll need a plan to manage their return, phased hours, weekly checkpoint meetings etc. Getting rid of someone can be extremely difficult and you need to tread carefully.

The reason for my counter grievance would be for the reputation damage and the false malicious allegations against me that were not up held.

My manager has supported me from the start and has said, this individual is not expected to come back to the company

Well the second bit would be enough for me, essentially they think they are the problem not you. I'd leave it and just put it behind you especially as they're not coming back.