The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting a garage floor

Tyson

Right I've been researching this and just wanted to run it by you guys to see if I am missing anything or making a major faux pas and to call on your wealth of experience.

1. Empty garage obviously

2. Give a good sweep

3. Use degreaser / pressure washer to get rid of contaminants

4. Use acid etcher to prime concrete for paint whilst keeping concrete wet

5. Paint on primer ? See a lot of people just painting after etching and assuming it needs to be dry ?

6. Paint 2 - 3 coats of garage floor paint leaving 7 hours between coats

7. Wait 72 hours to put the supra back in

Don't think I missed anything but your opinions and thoughts are welcome but be nice :D

Good thread. Watching with interest and been thinking about this as our garage is just dusty concrete.

PITA for me as two cars are insured as garaged and between 10pm and 6am, they are not covered if they are within 1/4 mile of my property. So what do you do? Ring them, incur an increase in premium and admin charge from two different insurers, or just dump your car at another address for 3 days?

Madness..!!

H.

only reason im not going to paint mine is the wear marks the tyres will make after a time , was going to go with rubber tiles but way to expensive , so in the end i found a big bit of carpet , if and when it gets wet ill just chuck it and get some more

What about painting it to seal then putting carpet over the top to protect the paint ?

Did mine a few months back. Swept and jetwashed floor with sugar soap water. Removed any raised areas, old bits of screed etc, and then painted using this awesome Industrial Polyurethane Floor Paint called Supercoat. Only took a couple of coats to give it a lasting durable finish. Tyres don't mark the paint at all either. It's military grade stuff.

I'm just insulating, plaster boarding, skimming and painting all my walls too in moisture resistant paint. It's going to be a lovely cocoon in there when the girls home :)

Did mine a few months back. Swept and jetwashed floor with sugar soap water. Removed any raised areas, old bits of screed etc, and then painted using this awesome Industrial Polyurethane Floor Paint called Supercoat. Only took a couple of coats to give it a lasting durable finish. Tyres don't mark the paint at all either. It's military grade stuff.

I'm just insulating, plaster boarding, skimming and painting all my walls too in moisture resistant paint. It's going to be a lovely cocoon in there when the girls home :)

thanks for the tip. Looking into this as we speak - I remember trying Ronseal a few years back - applied that to the Garage floor after cleaning it with a jetwash - despite multiple coats it started peeling away especially where the tyres make contact..

I'm up and down the M53 and the A41 quite a lot, my missus is from the Wirral and my best mate lives there. Keep an eye out for a grey GTR :)

I lived on the Wirral up until 10 years ago, I originally lived / was born in Irby... Moving back to West Kirby :)

Will look out for you :)

Going to be doing this a week on Saturday as I have the weekend off, a little off topic but anyone any idea of costs of garage doors ? Looking for a sectional or roller door to stop all the crap, blowing into the garage.