The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V8 Swap into Supra

creative

Been toying with this idea recently seeing as I have this sat in my garage doing nothing....

and a T56 6 speed gearbox to match.

Whats involved? I know its alot of work and fabrication needed but any particulars that caught people out or any areas to look at? Chassis need cutting up etc etc?

This would also depend on the viability of having it engineered over here but I may look into it more at some point if its worth it.

What V8 lump is that?

I think Wez has been considering something like this for a while as well

Indeed, been chatting with SRD as I have a complete donor car ready for the swap, although still driving around in it at the moment :D

What V8 lump is that?

Indeed, been chatting with SRD as I have a complete donor car ready for the swap, although still driving around in it at the moment :D

Out of my Ex Ute. Ford Modular V8 (boss260 here in Oz) with an M122 blower making 500rwhp.... also found in Mustangs in the states.

Any mods to the shell such as the trans tunnel or anything like that or is it all mounting issues to get it to fit?

The reason for the thoughts is that I want another supra (prices are stupid over here for a TT) and if the rules are just as strict as putting it into another shell as another car, I may look at something different like an NA Supra shell. This all entirely depends on the engineering part ( legal requirement here in Oz) and if its feasible to do so otherwise it will go into another ute shell when/if I find one cheap enough.

I would imagine, with the popularity of drag racing in Oz, that it might be possible to get the front of a Supra space-framed to allow for the installation of any engine without much difficulty.

This is the front of the Twins Turbo Supra, just as an example of what can be done.

I would imagine, with the popularity of drag racing in Oz, that it might be possible to get the front of a Supra space-framed to allow for the installation of any engine without much difficulty.

This is the front of the Twins Turbo Supra, just as an example of what can be done.

And the rules over here would never allow anything of that setup on the road...... hell, even an open pod filter is illegal here.

The LS-X goes in on a TR6060 so the Modular with a T56 should too.

Interesting. I am understanding that it may be possible without cutting transmission tunnels etc then. Can anyone measure between the struts/ engine bay and I can run around the engine and see if it would fit.

I know its not a simple drop in and away you go, which I could do with another ute shell but I have to get it engineered either way so I like the sound of an interesting project that I can take my time with.