The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Project - T2MSW's BMW

T2 MSW

So I have mostly finished the supra and I need something new to do or ill get bored :)

Been planning this project and looking at parts for quite a while and was going to start it before christmas but the car I was going to buy sold before I got there.

Anyway having now looked at a few and having eventually picked up a car its time to start my project. Going to be a long process and right now I think I'm just going to enjoy the nice weather and use the motor. Some will say I'm just copying Jamie and to be quite honest your welcome to your opinion but this has been on the cards for quite a while and before I did the supra it was either build a new one or do this!

So what have I bought ....

Picked up a 2002 BMW E46 M3 last Thursday with is a convertible with a hardtop included. Its in a lovely laguna seca blue and really nice to drive. I can't believe how solid it is for 14 year old car.

Obviously as all cars that age it has a few faults but nothing that can't be fixed.

So whats the plans ...

Like Jamie I'm going to be doing a 2JZ conversion on it eventually but right now I'm just collecting parts and going to use the car as I really like it. It desperately needs handbrake sorting as its shocking and whilst inspecting the handbrake I found the pad level warning sensors cabled tied round the calliper drain plugs. Got to work that one out why they are not in the callipers - poss don't fit. Its also got a slight oil leak which I need to investigate this weekend.

Going forward the below are items on the shopping list

• 2JZ VVTI engine
  • Syvecs S6+
  • New oil, water pumps and alternator
  • re-enforce the rear floor (already in progress and have the parts)
  • refresh subframe bushes
  • single turbo kit

Just about fits in the garage :)

Great, nice to see a couple of new projects with these now older Fräuleins.

I must admit though, I prefer the sound of the S54 over the 2JZ, espeically at full chat with straight pipes (probably get flamed for that hahaha)

Not pi55ng on your parade though, the 2JZ is overall lighter (IIRC) and much more tunable although some turbo'd S54's have been known to produce some serious power too :)

Look forward to looking at the project, got any ideas for main use?

your right you may get flamed for that :)

I like the noise of the S54 and turning it would be an option, just looking through the forums they look too fragile. Main use is going to road use although may throw it on the track and see how it handles. soft top is not great for track days though.

Ive still got the supra for track use and its first outing is at Spa at the end of the month.

your right you may get flamed for that :)

I like the noise of the S54 and turning it would be an option, just looking through the forums they look too fragile. Main use is going to road use although may throw it on the track and see how it handles. soft top is not great for track days though.

Ive still got the supra for track use and its first outing is at Spa at the end of the month.

:)

Yeah with the big power S54's they require a total overhaul, not like the 2JZ which can handle double the standard S54's power on a stock end.

Looks like a fun project, will be keen to keep an eye on this :)

Just ordered an engine from JDMDistro. Should be here next week. Ive gone for the aristo block as it seems the only thing available currently. Also as I don't need the engine mounts and I'm putting new pumps on it the fact they are different doesn't matter to me.

Just need to source the oil pans and a loom now.

Let me know when you need a helper..!!

(Not that I want mine sorting at the same time).

H.

you need to stop squealing about prices of things and get everything bought :D

Ill be starting the engine strip down next week as soon as it arrives so whats everyones availability for sat 14th ...... whats that your not here. oh thats the day I'm free to do brakes :)

you need to stop squealing about prices of things and get everything bought :D

Ill be starting the engine strip down next week as soon as it arrives so whats everyones availability for sat 14th ...... whats that your not here. oh thats the day I'm free to do brakes :)

I can drop it off before I go to New York and collect it when I get back. You could give us a lift to the airport too. You are a good sport Mike, I will give you that.

H.

Beamersup scottie!

I know you got it in the garage, how did YOU get out?

I only parked it in nose first to mess with Mr H's OCD :D

If turn it round and get it up close and personal with the supra there is loads of room to get out. Will even be enough room for an engine stand and engine when it arrives on Tuesday :)

- - - Updated - - -

I can drop it off before I go to New York and collect it when I get back. You could give us a lift to the airport too. You are a good sport Mike, I will give you that.

H.

Thats not your really learning is it me, Ste and Rob doing it all for you :rlol:

And theres 2 hopes of you getting a lift to the airport ;)

Couple of hours spent in the garage tonight tidying up and decide to actually use the BMW roof hoist that I blagged in with the car. Ultra rare these and I was going to flog it but its actually quite useful.

Its hard to tell with the hard tops on them from a photo.

Is that everything now? all set for the 4th june then :)

Just oil and filter mate. Need to go for a helmet fitting too.

What are we doing to yours as I imagine mine won't take two days. Although painting the calipers may be the longest thing to do. Might not bother.