The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Potential purchase of a cbr1000rr

gavin.starr

Im currently in talks with a lad I work with theat recently had is 2005 cbr1000rr stolen from his driveway at 2 am in the morning. The bike was found in the morning by a dog walker who spotted its back end sticking up out of the canal.

Who ever stole it knew nothing about it cut a few wires in an attempt to get it started and could'nt so hence they ditched it in the canal.

It has been classed as a write off due to every body panel being damaged by being pushed in and draggedof the canal, cut wires and a crack in the main frame as a result of being pushed in. The rest of the bike is structually sound. But the engine has net been run due to the cut wires etc...

My dilema is that with not hearing the engine run I cant vouch for its condition.

I have been told that i can have the complete bike as is, minus the frame as the insurance require it to write the bike off, for £1000.

This sounds like a pretty good deal to me, As im sure i can find a replacement frame with a v5, new panels off ebay and swap everthing over to make it a working bike again.

My only concern is the engine, Seeing as it has been sat in a canal for 6 hours and than sat in his shed for a further 3 weeks. What would i need to look out for. (I should add the bike was not running when it entered the water so there should be no bent rods due to hydro lock etc...) I presume a full fuel flush, and engine oil flush, re wire everthing on the bike as is and then see if it will run before i commit to buy.

What would you guys recomend i do?

Retail second hand they range from 3 to 5k.

Im going to take a look at it on Friday as he only lives around the corner. I'll take my laptop with my endoscope and take a look down the piston bores etc, drop the oil and see what comes out. No harm in looking i suppose. Im hoping that the water should have dried away now with being in a garage to dry out for 3 weeks, but we'll see. If it all seems ok I may be able to get it cheaper if i knock him down as he is getting paid out from his insurance anyway.