The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Europe

Dnk

On another note I overheard a conversation today at work that made me smile on one hand but dismay on the other. A reasonable sensible more mature lady in the office was telling her colleague that she wanted to leave the Eu but wasn't originally intending to vote "we never bother normally". She then she discovered her grandchildren are voting to remain so her and her husband are now making the effort to vote to cancel out the votes from the grandkids....wtf?

:lol:

I see the registration has now been extended because too many people leaving it till the last minute :shock:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3630320/Voter-registration-website-CRASHES-just-two-hours-referendum-deadline-prompting-claims-extended.html

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone watch last nights Debate, and the subsequent Question Time?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/09/leave-won-the-itv-debate-and-boris-johnson-looks-like-a-future-p/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07gbrq9/question-time-09062016

Combined with the last conviction politician left in Westminster, Dennis Skinner (the Beast of Bolsover) coming out for Leave, it was not a good day for the remain camp yesterday.

Another class act joins the remain camp,Ed Milliband,anyone remember him.So now we have John Major,Tony Blair,Gordon Brown,David Cameron,George Osborne,and now Ed,anyone seeing a pattern develop !!!

Yep its like the remain campaign is sponsored by the muppet show

Did anyone watch last nights Debate, and the subsequent Question Time?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/09/leave-won-the-itv-debate-and-boris-johnson-looks-like-a-future-p/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07gbrq9/question-time-09062016

Combined with the last conviction politician left in Westminster, Dennis Skinner (the Beast of Bolsover) coming out for Leave, it was not a good day for the remain camp yesterday.

Watched both this morning :D

I get the impression that the remain side are now accepting that there's a very good chance they will lose this. Not just the apparent 10 point poll lead (which is probably exaggerated), but just looking at various online polls, and particularly how rattled the remain camp are.

I'm personally pretty convinced that, unless Cameron does or offers something drastic, leave will win. And as per my earlier post, even up to a week ago I was convinced remain would.

I get the impression that the remain side are now accepting that there's a very good chance they will lose this. Not just the apparent 10 point poll lead (which is probably exaggerated), but just looking at various online polls, and particularly how rattled the remain camp are.

I'm personally pretty convinced that, unless Cameron does or offers something drastic, leave will win. And as per my earlier post, even up to a week ago I was convinced remain would.

To be honest. Even though I'd like to believe different I think remain will win. Simply because there's far too many avenues for rigging now.

Postal votes, cards sent to those ineligible to vote, polling stations using pencil.

Plus even if they can't get away with rigging it to win. They can simply just veto public opinion.

Postal votes, polling stations using pencil.

These things have always been the case though. It's possible (but improbable IMO) that the establishment, assuming they have a consistent view, can use these factors to rig things their way.

They can simply just veto public opinion.

That won't happen. That's the stuff that causes civil unrest. No-one's said that they will ignore the referendum result.

These things have always been the case though. It's possible (but improbable IMO) that the establishment, assuming they have a consistent view, can use these factors to rig things their way.

That won't happen. That's the stuff that causes civil unrest. No-one's said that they will ignore the referendum result.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36457120

It is bizarre in this security conscious day and age that the voting public seem to have no questions as to why a pencil on a string is a suitable medium to make an indelible mark. I had never thought about this before until someone considered a semi village idiot down the pub asked if we had our "proper pens" ready for polling day :) He has apparently taken a proper pen to the polling stations for donkey's years, as have his parents. Not as daft as people make him out, obviously. I freely admit I had never thought about it before...

I am sure the government won't have an Office X where ten thousand old ladies, sworn to secrecy, fill the air with hot India rubber dust and scrawl a new X in the Remain box. Well, FAIRLY sure ;)

They can do that, but then we can just vote them out of office. This is the undemocratic safety net Westminster currently has, having the EU to blame this stuff on. Once there's no EU to protect them,they will have to be far more attentive to the will of the electorate.

I don't think they would let us vote them out of office per se. Seeing as the labour and concervatives are pretty much the same, especially on the EU front.

So basically the majority of people (if they do ignore our referendum) will vote labour to get the Tories out. Then what? Labour just continue to ignore the issue and are in for another term....

And you can bet the majority of people will simply vote for those two parties as always and the government will simply do what it's always done..... As it likes... with no recourse or consequence

See posts 754 and 757 for more about this. The referendum question will be whether we should remain in or leave the EU. It's not clear if that also means whether we should leave the EEA (single market) or not. But Norway and Switzerland are (AFAIK) in the EEA but not the EU. So they must be different beasts. Therefore going Brexit doesn't have to prevent us from being in the EEA.

What's not clear is if the people vote for Brexit, do they think they're also instructing the UK to leave the EEA? For those who favour Brexit on here, what do you think you are voting for regarding EEA? Boris has (IIRC) said that Brexit does mean leaving the EEA as well.

Nigel Farage has said in the past that he favours a trade-block style EU like it used to be, not political union as it has become. But a Brexit (if Boris' vision is the one that's used) would mean he will get neither if Brexit occurs.

How do you people feel the latest mass murdering spree in Orlando, the most deadly mass shooting in US history, will affect the EU referendum? It is looking more and more likely to be the work of an extremist with probable leanings to well discussed ideology. Without a shadow of a doubt, if that's the case, it will boost Donald Trump's ratings, but how will the UK react? Another boost to Brexit, even if many will say the link to immigration into Europe is tenuous?

I would say the issues in the UK are likely to have more affect, like the two 14 yr old girls assaulted by a Syrian gang in Newcastle, it would appear like in Germany the news has been suppressed :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3637105/Why-did-police-quiet-sex-attack-Syrian-UK-refugees-Girl-14-assaulted-gang-kept-crime-list-covered-BBC-Newsnight-team.html

Then there is the latest on the Turkey passport fiasco, maybe not joining the EU but giving them passports, how does that work :shock:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3637523/Secret-plan-open-borders-1-5m-Turks-British-diplomats-admit-risk-tell-ministers-symbolic-gesture-Turkey.html

You do realize, that visa free movement does NOT mean they will flood UK? Even if in unlikely situation Turkey will get visa free travel to Europe, it doesn't mean they will be allowed to stay and work in European countries? Besides, it was suggested by BRITISH diplomat! Syrian refugees did NOT come to UK because of EU either, as it clearly says at BBC page they have been vetted by UN and I'm sure that it was UK government who gave green light to it. Both things have nothing to do with EU or their legislation, so it is irrelevant to this discussion.

You do realize, that visa free movement does NOT mean they will flood UK? Even if in unlikely situation Turkey will get visa free travel to Europe, it doesn't mean they will be allowed to stay and work in European countries? Besides, it was suggested by BRITISH diplomat! Syrian refugees did NOT come to UK because of EU either, as it clearly says at BBC page they have been vetted by UN and I'm sure that it was UK government who gave green light to it. Both things have nothing to do with EU or their legislation, so it is irrelevant to this discussion.

Yes but they're not refugees. A refugee doesn't travel the whole continent to get somewhere. They stop in a neighbouring country. These are migrants taking advantage.

Err wasn't it Merkel that publicly stated that the refugees were welcome in Germany/Europe, which then led to hundreds of thousands of refugees walking right into Europe.

And I can guarantee now that the UN had not vetted them.

Merkel invited them to Germany, not all EU countries, now she is trying to push some responsibility on other European countries, but it does not mean EU as a whole agreed to accept refugees. Blame Germans, not whole EU. Answering to Jason, Syrians he is talking about were transported to UK under agreement between UK government and UN, again nothing to do with EU and irrelevant to this discussion.