The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Europe

Dnk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing.

For all the hyperbole, the figures being banded about, the theorising on what might happen, the scaremongering on both sides...

Not a lot will change either way.

The security issue won't change much, the border situation won't change much, the banana situation won't change much.

Do you want a bunch of corrupt, out of touch politicians having free reign over the country - or do you want a bunch of corrupt, out of touch politicians elsewhere also having a say on the country.

If you dont like them you have the opportunity to vote them out and they are then OUT. with the EU there is no democracy, you dont even know who they are.

don't understand how people are so willing to give up on democracy that took many hundreds of years to fight for.......

Some examples of EU legislation 'forced' upon us:

"Mobile phone tariffs

In 2007 the EU set a "eurotariff" price cap on mobile phone roaming charges - the cost of making and receiving phone calls while abroad.

From July 2009 the maximum that home operators may charge customers will be 43 euro cents (£0.40) per minute for outgoing roaming calls and 19 euro cents for incoming calls (both excluding VAT). It is the second such EU-wide drop in the cost of voice calls.

MEPs also voted in April 2009 to cut the cost of texting and using the internet on mobiles abroad. The cap for a "roaming" text will fall to 11 euro cents (10p; 14 US cents), from about 29 cents on average. These EU-wide caps, excluding VAT, will also take effect in July."

"Working Time Directive

This longstanding directive stipulates that no employee in the EU should have to work more than an average of 48 hours a week. It also establishes how many breaks they can have and how much holiday they are entitled to - all aimed at preventing exploitation of workers.

The UK government, along with 14 other member states, negotiated an opt-out from the directive. The European Parliament voted in December 2008 to cancel the opt-out, but MEPs' conciliation talks with EU ministers later failed to produce a new deal on the directive. A key sticking point was how to define on-call time - whether it should count as working time.

So the current directive and opt-out remain in force. It is up to the European Commission to decide whether to draft a revised directive. Many argue that a revision is overdue, because several European Court of Justice rulings affect how the directive is implemented.

The UK government, which wants to keep the opt-out, is at odds with a majority of Labour MEPs, who want to scrap it."

"Food labelling

MEPs approved legislation in 2006 to standardise food product labels to prevent misleading claims. The new rules target the use of health or nutritional claims, such as "low fat", "high fibre" and "helps lower cholesterol".

The legislation bans vague claims for foods, such as "preserves youth", along with slimming or weight control claims and health claims on beverages with more than 1.2% alcohol content."

"All-inclusive air fares

In July 2008 MEPs voted to make airlines display the taxes and charges that passengers have to pay, to stop the misleading offers of bargain basement flights.

Airlines are now obliged to give comprehensive information on air fares, including on the internet. Parliament widened the pricing transparency to include all flights departing from airports in the EU, regardless of destination."

"Reach - chemicals authorisation

Reach stands for Registration, Evaluation and Authorisation of Chemicals. The regulation took effect in June 2007, replacing 40 other pieces of legislation. About 30,000 substances will have to be registered with the new Chemical Agency in Helsinki by 2018.

The new law puts the onus on the chemical industry to prove that its products, including those that have been on sale for years, are safe. Previously it was up to the national authorities to prove that a given substance was hazardous. A safety report now has to be drawn up for chemicals produced or imported in quantities of more than one tonne per year."

Can we see a list of actual legislation which the EU have 'forced' us to take which is not helpful to industry or looks out for the consumer/customer?

must be fun being chopped off from the growing economies of the world and being imprisoned in the zero growth club......

We the white British are already in decline with only 1.8 children per couple, 2.4 children are required to sustain the current population (2 to replace the parents and .4 in case of early death ) we are seeing the white population being almost halved every generation. where as eastern europeans who have come to the uk have a birth rate of 3.4 and asians ...ridiculously 5.7.

not sure about your numbers however your point is true - we asians do outbreed you lot - infact weve pushed you out of the capital :)

Oh and something i found out recently, landlords are getting tax breaks to rent to eastern europeans rather than English.

please do point to the source of this gem as I would love to take advantage of this one - wonder if it applies to the 45% tax bracket too?

I'm a regular on the Z forums now as well as this one,they too have a Europe poll which also has a majority leave vote,not as big a margin as here though.Is it something to do with car enthusiasts do you think ?:blink:

Similar on the Pistonheads poll, swayed very much to 'out'.

not sure about your numbers however your point is true - we asians do outbreed you lot - infact weve pushed you out of the capital :)

please do point to the source of this gem as I would love to take advantage of this one - wonder if it applies to the 45% tax bracket too?

I know, I can't get anywhere near the centre before I'm targeted by a dozen muslamic ray guns :D

Oh and if I can get tax breaks by renting to Eastern Europeans, I may just change my vote to remain..........what a load of old b0110cks!

I'm a regular on the Z forums now as well as this one,they too have a Europe poll which also has a majority leave vote,not as big a margin as here though.Is it something to do with car enthusiasts do you think ?:blink:

Many of the other EU countries have very strict laws concerning old cars and modifications, it's conceivable that if we remain in, driving modified cars could be banned.

Many of the other EU countries have very strict laws concerning old cars and modifications, it's conceivable that if we remain in, driving modified cars could be banned.

That is very true. Sadly, based on a previous thread some time ago there are a lot of people that don't believe this fact.

If you dont like them you have the opportunity to vote them out and they are then OUT. with the EU there is no democracy, you dont even know who they are.

don't understand how people are so willing to give up on democracy that took many hundreds of years to fight for.......

Yes but when your choices are all the same then that's not democracy either.

It's like saying you have 2 choice of car. A supra or a supra.

That's it. Personally I wouldn't complain but the majority of people would be unhappy and have no choice.

I am keeping out of this, my blood pressure rises, my speech stammers, and I generally feel unwell when I get too involved ;) I have already narrowly avoided a physical altercation from some tattooed white trash bint at a pub who wanted me thrown out for quietly stating immigration was one of my biggest worries about EU membership. Quite why she brought politics into a general conversation that had previously been centred on the sheer number of her rather unsavoury sounding male conquests in Glasgow, and her prodigious capacity for cheap wine and strong spliffs, I do not know. And then there was the foreign guy who decided it was a good idea to try and join my pal and I's private conversation, uninvited, as he'd overheard something he didn't like.... That went very badly ;)

Just monitoring..... Pills beside me.

No. Just the people that want out are the noisiest keyboard warriors.

Not sure you've got the point...

Evolution is something that happens over a long period of time and is usually a species adapting to its surroundings...................what is happening is forced multiculturalism, forced by the EU.

Imagine if several million people vote on the European Union based on these principles....

Yes but when your choices are all the same then that's not democracy either.

It's like saying you have 2 choice of car. A supra or a supra.

That's it. Personally I wouldn't complain but the majority of people would be unhappy and have no choice.

so their alternative is to give up on the democratic system for our lifetime and settle for unelected bureaucrats effectively a dictatorship....bizarre logic...

like I said earlier - being in this failed EU will impact the "working class" the most (labour voters), pressure on the welfare state, all services - mark my words expedite the end of the free NHS - do wonders for big business with the abundance of cheap labour.......lovely jubbly.

so their alternative is to give up on the democratic system for our lifetime and settle for unelected bureaucrats effectively a dictatorship....bizarre logic...

like I said earlier - being in this failed EU will impact the "working class" the most (labour voters), pressure on the welfare state, all services - mark my words expedite the end of the free NHS - do wonders for big business with the abundance of cheap labour.......lovely jubbly.

Don't get me wrong I'm voting out because at the current time it seems like the lesser of two evils. Mark my words though, that even if we manage to get a legitimate vote and it's an "out" result. Something else will happen that means all that extra money ends up in the pockets of Cameron's cronies and co. Instead of the NHS or back into this country. These people are slimy scum. Even as we speak they are breaking the NHS up.

Don't get me wrong I'm voting out because at the current time it seems like the lesser of two evils. Mark my words though, that even if we manage to get a legitimate vote and it's an "out" result. Something else will happen that means all that extra money ends up in the pockets of Cameron's cronies and co. Instead of the NHS or back into this country. These people are slimy scum. Even as we speak they are breaking the NHS up.

Leaving the EU will supposedly make it easier for the government to accept the TTIP deal which will let American companies bid for cheap contracts on our healthcare and education systems. It'll also let companies sue the government if they don't give them those lucrative contracts. The NHS is in danger either way. A crying shame.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html