The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The queues at the petrol stations have started...

Suprasteve

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chiefvinso

The amount they sell due to people stockpiling will make up for any days of no fuel. If everyone (EVERYONE) stopped and stood up to the government and brought them to their knees maybe we would get somewhere. Pointless exercise IMO. I would rather not go to work and refuse to until something was done even if that means not driving the soop and if everyone else did the same we would be a team but it looks like everyone for themselves - life its called.

The amount they sell due to people stockpiling will make up for any days of no fuel. If everyone (EVERYONE) stopped and stood up to the government and brought them to their knees maybe we would get somewhere. Pointless exercise IMO. I would rather not go to work and refuse to until something was done even if that means not driving the soop and if everyone else did the same we would be a team but it looks like everyone for themselves - life its called.

I agree, it's a waste of time and probably making more money than normal. My g/f came up with an idea last night which would be better:-

Everyone (emergency service personnel excepted) should spend the next couple of weeks using public transport. It'd cause more chaos than any fuel protest ever could. The government keep telling us we should be using buses, trains, etc more, so lets do it. Just imagine the chaos in the mornings, every bus stop & train station full of commuters. Not to mention the underground. There wouldn't physically be the space to hold all the poeple, let alone transport them. How many businesses would be affected by people not being able to get to work on time? How much money would be lost? The trouble is, most people think their jobs (and cars) are too important to risk. Unless you are a hospital or fire service employee actually saving lives, what the chuff is so damned important.

Everyone - to the bus stop!

Full Revs

Animal

Been cycling to work recently as the weathers been good so fuels not an issue for me at the moment.

Thing i don't get is i pass 3 petrol stations on the way one is 92.9 another shows 95.9 and the one in the middle doesn't show anything, but as it is only mile or so from the 92.9 there usally the same. yet only the 92.9 has a que about 20 mins from the look as i went past this morning. Other two had pump with no one at them.

Kind of hope the fuel does run out it'll be like the school holidays again with no traffic.

Everyone - to the bus stop!

Full Revs

Animal

Nice idea - I can spend literally two hours commuting, using a bus and three trains each way, rather than driving for 35 minutes (at signficantly lower cost, even with high petrol prices).

Principle is sound, but lets face it - what a pain in the arse!

Did anyone else see 'spooks' last night. The bad-guy said something very relevant: "We must always have a higher pain threshold than them". As the panic buying shows, the general public has a very low pain threshold, especially once the gov turns up the heat with the emergency services arguement. We're too accustomed to an easy life.

Someone at my work just pointed at that in actual fact, with all this queuing at petrol stations, we're actually all using MORE petrol than we would otherwise be using for the upcoming week, therefore generating MORE income for the government and the petrol companies.

I like the public transport idea. Although if as a result I don't get to work and thus lose my job, then I may NEVER have money for petrol! :cry:

People moan that the gov't are not spending enough on public transport, and that if buses/trains etc.. were like they are in europe, then we would use them more.

However, it is not in the interest of the british gov't to get people out of their cars and into a train, as the revenue they would lose would be too great.

Unless you walk everywhere, your hard earned will work its way into the gov't mitts one way or another. Fuel price&road tax or innefficient public transport. you choose.

Fuel protests are a minor annoyance to the gov't, and will ultimatley come to nothing.

In 2000 when we had the first round of blockades, the price was 80p/L and we were shouting and screaming about it. now its up 15p/L and we are doing the same. give it another 5 years and we will be doing the same again at £1.50p/L.

The gov't know that in the long term, we will all roll over and take it, as who would part with their beloved personal carriage. No-one will.

my sister is getting married this weekend and we've got family coming from all over the country coming. So you can imagine she is some what concerned about people actually being able to turn up.

Plus get this, the owner of the Rolls called her and asked where he could get petrol from as the station he uses has run out. - my sister started crying !!! - what a complete and utter twat !!! i couldn't believe it !!!

They are doing a drive slow on M4 tomorrow i saw.

I also heard about home the petrol company's are saying that NONE of the stations are closed. They're right, not closed just don't have petrol. I feel sorry for all the pump attendants without pumps to attend.

but they have a whole suite of magazines to read.................. :read:

We can't even protest right! http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13438186,00.html

So what have we done so far... gone out and spent MILLIONS on petrol... and 4 people have turned up looking slightly angry!

I think that's really sad no noe turned up :( If there was one close to me i'd go down there for the day to give support.