The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What car to choose- up to £30k

Vicky

I'm looking for a new daily drive, I've currently got and Audi A4 2.0 TFSI

I've been looking at the civic I-VTEC TYPE R GT and also Audi S4

I want something a bit sporty but also practical as I have 2 children under 5.

Any other suggestions?

A little too wider a range to offer any ideas.. What about some preferences, Quick? Frugal? Estate? Age? Brand loyalty? - nothing american or only German etc. resale value?

My brother has the bmw 3 series estate 330d which I think is one of only a handful of "normal" practical cars that are under 5sec 0-60. He came from a 5 series for this and has two kids under 6. Loves it.

Don't the new Fords have theft issues being rather easy to steal ?

I don't think that's much of an issue nowadays. Thieves just break into the houses and steal the keys anyway lol.

I hadn't heard that though, is it due to the new technology in the starting system?

Edit: According to this it's the BMW's, Audis and Landy's that are in bother.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2812962/How-car-thieves-use-hi-tech-scanners-reprogramme-electronic-keys-steal-luxury-cars.html

Quite a few Focus's have been stolen recently in my area and so im told they're the easiest thing to get into a nick

I know there was a big issue with most smart key cars as the key can be cloned from inside the car using the ODBII port. I know my car, 535D, is susceptible to it as there was a firmware update to take out the "Full open" feature from the key lock. Basically thieves were picking the lock to trigger the auto open feature that opened all the windows. They were then able to reach into the ODBII port and clone a key that would open and drive the car without triggering the alarm at all.

Unfortunately the keys can still be cloned through the ODBII port, but the trigger in the lock for opening the windows has been disabled.

New focus RS gets my vote. I've even contemplated selling both the supe and my daily to fund one!

The new RS does look a bit special but is it not more than 30k? If it can be had for that money then it's definitely a great shout. Looks a brilliant bit of kit and it'll hold its value really well, being an RS.

Nope. Comes in at a few quid under £30k...even spec'd up its great value. I spec'd one up with pretty much everything and it was circa £33k

Definitely a good buy then. I think the previous RS still fetches decent money. The first one is still my favourite though.