The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Red triangle light problem

Bender

Inknow there was a couple of post about red triangle on the dash but non of them seems similar to my. I got 93 N/A manual when i bought her (few days ago) everything was fine on test drive then i take her home (180 miles) and as soon i was on motorway red triangle come on so i was stop and check brake fluid level and it was fine there was nothing else what i can do so im back on the road after few minutes light turn off and it was keeping off and on after 50 miles with triangle eml come on aswel and it turn off as soon a triangle light goes off (was suprised because as usual right hand lights didnt work on startup) anyway as soon im get off from motorway and back on normal roads its only light up about three times for couple of secounds and most of time there was no lights on dashboard. Engine was working perfectly fine for all the time. Thats was to days ago and didnt show up till today just for about 10 secounds and thats it (no eml) any ideas ? I know its a bit long story but maybe someone will be able to understand problem better... thanks

I suspect you have a code 42 error. The tell-tale is that you get the warning light at faster speeds (approx 50mph+), but once you've gone at that speed, the light won't go off until you turn off the engine.

A couple of things to check:

Just before you start the car, when the key's at position 2, do you get a small orange engine symbol on the far right side of the dashboard? You should have. If not, that bulb is blown or more likely, the circuit board has a dry solder.

Once the orange engine light bulb is working, you can use it to read error codes using a paperclip.

Code 42 isn't serious. It's usually caused by a faulty odometer unit, or a faulty aftermarket speed converter. But I'm jumping the gun until you know what the error codes are.

Thats was a strange thing as i know those lights its a common problem and as i have supra before i was check them and at position 2 they dont work so i was well suprised when that engine light come on with triangle...speedo is still factory one with km on it and it wasnt been converted

Speed related warning lights are most commonly either a dodgy km/mph speedo conversion or the car once had an auto front spoiler that has been removed or is not working. Another common cause of an intermittent warning light is low brake fluid as the sensor is quite sensitive.

Check the fault codes, see the how to guide here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35920-How-To-Check-the-diagnostics-codes

Thats was a strange thing as i know those lights its a common problem and as i have supra before i was check them and at position 2 they dont work so i was well suprised when that engine light come on with triangle...speedo is still factory one with km on it and it wasnt been converted

I got a bit confused here. Does the small orange engine light work when the ignition is at position 2? If not, that's the first thing you should fix so you can read error codes.

I got a bit confused here. Does the small orange engine light work when the ignition is at position 2? If not, that's the first thing you should fix so you can read error codes.

No its not working when i turn ignition at position 2 but it was light up 3 times when i was driving (weird) anyway anybody close to me (Herefordshire) who can fix those lights for me (i guess dry solder)