The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam one way valve.

FOSTA

I've took my cam covers off today to polish them up. I noticed the one way valve that sits in the right hand side cam cover was full of crud and grime and was not working. It was letting air passed when it was pressurized. With this being connected to the inlet manifold it may have been causing me some problems that I was unaware of!

So my thinking is would I have been leaking boost with it not closing under positive pressure?

I'm thinking yes but how much of a problem would it of been causing me with boost blowing to to the cam cover?

It looks like it's been in this state for a very long time. :/

I personally wouldn't run one and just vent the cam covers to atmo. I am not green, and don't want my engines breathing their own farts, so would not waste money on a new one. If it isn't sealing it will have been bypassing some boost through the engine back to the air filter side of the plumbing. They are also the cause of a lot of odd idling issues. Add in the fact the grommets they sit in are nearly always pot hard and leaking, too, and they can be a source of some aggro.

Probably a tiny little bit, but think about how much air flow volume a turbo like yours is producing, and how much volume the bunged up PCV valve could back flow. It won't be much at all. But they can have big effects at idle, where they can make a substantial difference to desired air flow and have people buying another TB, throttle pot, IACV, and God knows what else. All for the sake of buying a manual, or printing the relevant bits of the PDF out, and studying the flow diagrams and trying to understand where else excess air could come from at idle :)

As my electronics peers drum into me every day, you can't fix it until you understand how what you are trying to mend works. And damn, they are absolutely right. I don't need to know every component in a transmitter, but if I take a block diagram and the repair manual to bed, I can usually have a good understanding of the bits I think could be playing up, and can concentrate my efforts locally.

If you look at your inlet cam cover there is a breather hose coming from the cam cover to the inlet manifold. Where the hose goes into the cam cover is a one way valve. It's the fitting that's in the cam cover itself and the hose attaches to it.

Here is a pic of the plenum side ( low throttle/idle part) of the PCV system, the short pipe in the foreground, you can also see the link pipe that goes from one cam cover to the other, there is the also another breather pipe that then goes to the turbo intake pipe, this is the full throttle/high load side of the PCV system.

They are basically intended as emissions control, but you can safely block off the plenum, and run both to a catch can or a filter, or if you still want to make use of the PCV crankcase evacuation to negate pressure, you can link/T both pipes to a catch can and then to the turbo intake.