The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The VAG emissions saga

Chris Wilson

Surprised no one has mentioned it here yet. Maybe so many fiddle their own emissions they feel it would be churlish to comment negatively? ;)

Personally I find it very hard to believe the US testing laboratories were not complicit to this, they aren't stupid....

And if VAG have been fiddling the firmware, no doubt they are not alone :)

Is this going to be the automotive equivalent of getting a pay out from the banks? Seems the lawyers are seeing new ways to make some more money.

Cered's input:

"And they think other manufactures aren't pulling similar things elsewhere?"

All the eco stuff seems to be killing engines off early these days. I think the benefits of DPF valves, EGRs etc are negated by the environmental damage produced when manufacturing a higher volume of replacement parts and disposing of old broken parts/cars. Diesel engines should be reserved for logistics and agriculture IMO. Petrol is a fair bit cleaner. IIRC France are bringing in a ban on diesel powered cars in cities.

I'm aware I drive a diesel car (non-DPF) but the V6 version of it costs £500 a year to tax...

I thought this thread would have come up earlier

I think all single turbo supras have this same feature , Dont see why everyones getting upset , who actually cares that they put out more emmisions as long as they still get the tax break lol.

I know we should all save the world but going back even 10 years this would not be an issue , I bet there all at it as emmission standards get tighter

It's been obvious to the clever minded for years.

I've always said diesels have been lieing(?) to us for years.

No way can a diesel that pumps out black smoke or any smoke be zero or low emissions.

And the diesel prices at the moment reflect that even more.

Petrol cars are cleaner and not becoming just as fuel efficient as ever.

Diesel needs be for transportation.

The whole tax scam needs re thinking and hopefully people will realise they've been duped into buying these cars just because of the tax.

I don't care about the implications to the environment as its fake, it doesn't exist on the level they claim, and the car makers actually make it worse by producing these fake cars and engines.

Most tests are a complete farce, the results are based on conditions that could never be met in the real world, ie special tires, stripped chassis, special lubrication's etc

The US took an off the shelf model and completed the test on the road and shocker, the figures were way off :lol:

So VW are getting a bashing because of their diesel emissions lies. Weirdly though, the other car manufacturers aren't on the bandwagon demanding large fines and 'something must be done'. Strange? Not really. Bear in mind that all manufacturers buy competitors' cars and strip them down to the last nut and bolt for ideas and items to plagarise. If they'd done this with VW cars don't you think that when they found this elusive diesel software that they'd blow the roof off the scam. Unless of course . . . . . . . well, might just be me but sounds like they're just waiting for their own knock on the door. This space is worth watching.

Most tests are a complete farce, the results are based on conditions that could never be met in the real world, ie special tires, stripped chassis, special lubrication's etc

The US took an off the shelf model and completed the test on the road and shocker, the figures were way off :lol:

The results weren't off.

The results were fine.

It was the software cheat that they found

No - the cars are filthy as fook - when they get plugged in for an emissions test a bit of electronic jiggery-pokery kicks in to lie to the testing machine to say all is good when in fact it's as filthy as fook!

That is what I understood too, didnt they also pile a load of testing gear to an off the shelf motor and drive it around town :D

The software only does the cheat when it recognises it's being tested.

I get that :D

There is no test whilst normal driving.

I think you misunderstood me, if you measure / test under normal circumstances its still a test, the piece I saw in the media showed a vehicle strapped up with test equipment driving around normally, so yes, the car has no idea its being tested but it is and hence the bad results.

I get that :D

I think you misunderstood me, if you measure / test under normal circumstances its still a test, the piece I saw in the media showed a vehicle strapped up with test equipment driving around normally, so yes, the car has no idea its being tested but it is and hence the bad results.

Oh I get you.

The test done for MOT etc purposes is done at a certain rpm and the vehicle isn't moving.

I believe the test they did whilst driving wasn't putting the vehicle through the normal test that the software would recognise, they were just collecting data whilst it was driving.

Oh I get you.

The test done for MOT etc purposes is done at a certain rpm and the vehicle isn't moving.

I believe the test they did whilst driving wasn't putting the vehicle through the normal test that the software would recognise, they were just collecting data whilst it was driving.

Exactly :thumbs: I dont think I explained properly :D

The whole emissions testing is a load of rubbish. Much (possibly all?) of the test is done on rolling roads. The emissions tests need changing and need to be done with "production" spec vehicles.

Could this be the next ppi style scam, possibly so. We have a nearly 6 year old Audi TT that the wife has had from new and has the 2.0 tdi engine. Could be that this car is effected. Maybe I should take it back and ask for a full refund! What do you think?