The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric Fans

jon_dragon

Hi peeps! I'm moving away from the viscous fan setup and going twin electric. How has everyone wired the fans?

If you have a look on power house racing there is a twin fan electric loom the uses the stock thermostat to switch the fans on at 97c

It depends what wattage your proposed fans will draw.

Mine are 80w each, so when they're running they draw circa 11a with the engine running.

The factory wiring is rated to 15a, so I connected mine to the stock plug.

If you choose higher rated fans, you'll likely need to wire them through a relay

• 2 weeks later...

I have maid my own wirring loom to my electric fans, each fan as is own relay, then to a switch inside the car to turn them on.. want to wire it to the stock thermostat but that dident work... so just have the switch inside the car i turn them on manually..

Am i right in thinking that you are fitting the electric fans not just to save a little horse power.? but more to keep your engine cool because you have a tuned tt or an NA/T, which produce more heat.? I ask this as my NA has never overheated in 20 years even in mega traffic jams in a hot summer day. What sort of money are they and where do they fit if you have a IC?

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

I've been led to believe that the standard viscous fan is more than up for the job unless its massive BHP. Is it really worth it for the sake of gaining a bit more power the trouble of fitting and setting up electric fans.Prepares to be put right!