DO-Luck V1 - HKS Build Thread

Brazil

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am currently in Namibia and my work internet won't allow me to load my photos on photobucket, does anybody know how I can have my photos attached to a post bigger?

On to the business end, there is further progress on my engine as you can see in the photos and tomorrow the gear box should be painted, some rubber seals changed and made up to engine, so we are approaching first start up..!

12032558_942304742504733_350884767_n.jpg

12053377_942305215838019_1924871321_n.jpg

12028998_942305392504668_792261736_n.jpg

12041774_942305292504678_1604364488_n.jpg

12048721_942305422504665_629893402_n.jpg

Regarding that cam pulley bud, is that a branded one? I have a set that look exactly the same and I've got no confidence in them at all.

I know you have mentioned this before, I can't remember who I bought it from but its not branded and the other one that came with it from lack of care I have damaged it dont know when it was or how but hope its ok, have you ever read a super go bang because of a crappy cam pulley?

I know you have mentioned this before, I can't remember who I bought it from but its not branded and the other one that came with it from lack of care I have damaged it dont know when it was or how but hope its ok, have you ever read a super go bang because of a crappy cam pulley?

Yes. Old HKS design was notorious for it.

Think about it though mate, you've come this far..... please don't jeopardise the engine on an unknown cam pulley. Sods law has already bitten you more than once :(

Awesome luiz

Thanks bud, yesterday I actually dreamt that I was driving it with the mechanic next to me and the engine really smooth. Hopefully my dream will come true..! :)

Yes. Old HKS design was notorious for it.

Think about it though mate, you've come this far..... please don't jeopardise the engine on an unknown cam pulley. Sods law has already bitten you more than once :(

Thanks Scot I have another pulley in my garage i am going to do a stress test on it using a hammer. :)

Finally Luiz. Great progress.

Trucking along, am really hopping to have an update that the engine in in the car later today.

Thanks Scot I have another pulley in my garage i am going to do a stress test on it using a hammer. :)

Your 2 fault areas are the potential to strip the thread and the gears slipping. To test that, tighten the bolts on the front until they strip. It should take a HELLUVA lot of force to strip the threads.

I doubt you'll be able to test the gear slippage though, that's probably going to be a such it and see. If your timing ends up messed up then that's what it'll be.

Your 2 fault areas are the potential to strip the thread and the gears slipping. To test that, tighten the bolts on the front until they strip. It should take a HELLUVA lot of force to strip the threads.

I doubt you'll be able to test the gear slippage though, that's probably going to be a such it and see. If your timing ends up messed up then that's what it'll be.

Thanks Scott, will look out for that and keep a close eye on it!

Unfortunately I am going to have to wait for the photo of the engine in the bay on Monday because the mechanic's phone ran out of battery.

Attached below is my rear drivetrain I had a leaking retainer on my Big Case Diff fitted with TRD LSD, the retainer is on and they have taken the opportunity to give the hole lot a good clean.

12047580_943173859084488_825317662_n.jpg

12064510_943173819084492_559791338_n.jpg

And there is is sitting back where she is suppose to be!

Please I really hope this is the one that will bring me joys instead of breaking bank!

The rear drive train has also been fitted and the TRD Big Case LSD has new retainer gasket since I got it new with a little leak, probably fitting error at the previous garage!

12083756_944687045599836_1850660615_n.jpg

12047208_944687082266499_443582439_n.jpg

12064356_944687072266500_1010838588_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any updates photos but the status of my build is that my HKS manifold has had a second EGT bung fitted the middle runner;

My new HKS Turbo Exhaust housing was received

Blitz Side Skirts

Front Bumper Snap Latch fittings for quick release of front bumper 'like race cars' have

Red car tow connector to put on front of car bumper so its easy to pull it up onto a toe truck

Fire extinguisher

Petrol tank cap with key lock

Got it re-insured

Edited by Brazil (see edit history)

Glad you kept going with this, it's made good reading and glad you seem to be finally getting there, well done. You deserve to enjoy it once it's up and running :thumbs:

Thank you buddy, its such an exciting car I really can't wait to get back behind the steering wheel!

• 4 weeks later...

Well gents my car breaths again, and all seems to be running really well including the HKS cams & VVTI!

Oil pressure when cold was at 3bars and once wormed up dropped down to 1.5 if my memory serves me right.

The problem we have now though is my Gilken Trippe Plate Clutch; the fly wheel has been balanced but we have bent disks its a race clutch with 204mm carbon discs and because of the slight bent in it it wont engage in certain gears even after adjusting the paddles and slave cylinder; it would only work if the slave cylinder was always under pressure 'hence the extremely heavy paddle feel that i had before and my failed engine due to crank walk when a bearing fell off the crank' . So this problem does not happen again I am ordering a new Gilken clutch repair kit 'all the disks' and taking it from there.