The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whifbits na/t turbo kit. - anyone tried it ?

herbiemercman

There's no issues with longevity on the NA-T kits at all.

Plenty of people have proven this.

Supra_Scott has been running his NA-T for 6years now, he drives it hard and has had no problems.

Tkdave has been running his 600+hp NA-T for years. No issues.

Good shout, will have a browse of their threads myself.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no issues with longevity on the NA-T kits at all.

Plenty of people have proven this.

Supra_Scott has been running his NA-T for 6years now, he drives it hard and has had no problems.

Tkdave has been running his 600+hp NA-T for years. No issues.

I think the kits are fine- just a really expensive way to make not much more power. For me knowing the kit and fitting price you could possibly buy a TT auto just sums it up.

I am interested in buying the whifbits turbo kit for my 1995 mk4 supra, the engine is the 2JZ - GE, and the W59 manual gearbox, i bought the car new and it has covered 50,000 miles.

The kit i am interested in costs £2,700 inc.vat. and in the description it states that "straight out of the box" as a bolt on turbo kit it will boost the the power of the engine from the stock 220bhp to 364bhp. It goes on to say this will give you a seriously fast responsive car etc. It goes on to list other optional extras, to mod the ecu and clutch etc.

My question is do any members know from experience or info from a friend etc, CAN I GET THE 364 BHP WITH THIS BASIC KIT.? WITHOUT THE CLUTCH UPGRADE OR THE ECU MODS. ?

I am asking this as i have received contradicting opinions, especially about the need to replace the clutch, i would avoid taxing the clutch, but some say the kit will not work without it, if this is the case, then the claim that the kit gives 364bhpn straight out of the box is misleading. If the kit will do what they claim for £2,700 then i would buy one. Any comments will be much appreciated. herbiemercman.

Taken directly from the Whifbitz advert for their NA-T kit (here - http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/garage-whifbitz-2370.html):

Straight out of the box as a bolt on turbo kit it will boost the power of the engine from the factory 220bhp to 364bhp along with a large increase in torque from standard 210 lb/ft torque up to 325 lb/ft torque, this is only running a light pressure turbo system of 0.5 bar boost so is perfectly safe for the high compression NA engine. This transforms a non-turbo Supra into a seriously fast car with very responsive engine performance achieving full boost around 3200rpm.

To achieve this you MUST fit an ecu upgrade to control the fuel/ignition timing, this does not come with the kit. We dont include it as many owners like to fit there own ecu. As an additional cost we we can also supply a Greddy Emanage ecu with bolt on adaptor loom to plug straight into your standard ecu, no wiring needed! We can also supply the kit with a map already loaded on to the Greddy Emanage for a totally bolt on kit, we still advise the setup to be checked to make sure the boost levels and engine parameters are all correct though.

Later, the optional extras section of the ad states:

•For 5 speed manual gearbox cars we recommend an upgraded clutch as the stock one will not take the extra power.

This is mentioned in this way as some owners fitting this NA-T kit will be doing so on an automatic Supra.

The above is all very 'black and white'. You have simply misinterpreted the ad.

Your hostility about it is somewhat alarming though. Has this vendetta stemmed from something else? This misinterpretation can surely be left at just that. The credibility of Whifbitz is unnecessarily being brought into disrepute due to a reading error when going through an advert for a product you haven't purchased. I find it somewhat baffling.

Either way, this post of mine is here to explicitly answer your query (which I have highlighted in bold) from the initial post:

As per the advertisement on the Whifbitz website for the NA-T turbo kit, you will not achieve 364bhp from this kit unless you have an ECU as an addition.

Theoretically you could achieve this power on the stock clutch, though it will be a short-lived ticking time bomb and will not last long at all due to the increased torque levels being applied through the powertrain. Due to this it is advised to upgrade your clutch to an aftermarket item which will hold the new torque level sufficiently.

Hi j-jza80, Your car looks great, do you have the Whiffbits kit fitted.? herbiemercman.

No, my Supra is a TT not an NA. But I would have no issue using any Garage Whifbitz parts on my car, they are all good quality. I'm currently using one of their side mount intercooler upgrades which is a great piece of kit. :)

Also stop the passive-aggressive threats of "I will remember this" and talk of not knowing how to fight properly and all that bilge :yawn: It's boring and utterly ineffective no matter what you kid yourself - we've seen it all before. Back under your rock.

I recently bought an excellent and well manufactured Whiffbitz Front Mount Intercooler kit from Paul.

It was only to my horror once it was delievered very quickly to my door at great postage rates that the aforementioned kit did not fit itself to my car and I had to pay even more money for a very knowledgeable man to do so, which was not mentioned in the advertising.... Where do I stand.....

;)

Hi Ian, the other moderators are much more democratic than you seem to be, sort of telling me politely where i was out of order so to speak, you bring out the worst in me by saying things protected by your position in the country and are brave behind your computer,saying things that would be difficult for you to say to my face, you do not know me and you think you have shown bottle putting me down when most members are agreeing and the ones that do not are not agressive like you, i could tell you what i do but cannot be arsed, it is disappointing you took this stance, why did you do it.? you are not brave and cannot upset me, i never put threats out on line, BUT respond to them when they are unecasarily poked at me, when all i have done is state facts about what i think about these kits, some members think they are ok and others do not . My bit about people with muscles not being able to fight was a metaphor comparing this to cars, so you got this wrong, you need some training on how to be a diplomatic moderator like the other guys, you are not setting a good example for this club. herbiemercman.

Hi Ian, the other moderators are much more democratic than you seem to be, sort of telling me politely where i was out of order so to speak, you bring out the worst in me by saying things protected by your position in the country and are brave behind your computer,saying things that would be difficult for you to say to my face, you do not know me and you think you have shown bottle putting me down when most members are agreeing and the ones that do not are not agressive like you, i could tell you what i do but cannot be arsed, it is disappointing you took this stance, why did you do it.? you are not brave and cannot upset me, i never put threats out on line, BUT respond to them when they are unecasarily poked at me, when all i have done is state facts about what i think about these kits, some members think they are ok and others do not . My bit about people with muscles not being able to fight was a metaphor comparing this to cars, so you got this wrong, you need some training on how to be a diplomatic moderator like the other guys, you are not setting a good example for this club. herbiemercman.

Somebody ban this fucking idiot.

Then why don't you apply to be a moderator, being as you seem so down to earth?

:whistle:

Ok here is the situation on how i see the situation with the na turbo kits, and i accept this is not just poked at whiffbits who i accept from the comments on this marathon thread are seen to be the best out there if you choose to go down this rout.

Basically IMHO the kits are expensive even if a member tries to fit it themselves, "open the box and bolt the kit on and go" is not the case.

For me and i have spoken to Paul, who was very helpful, I would be looking at circa £6,000 for the kit to be fitted and tested, either in london area or in the north east, a long journey for me and the car away for a week, then returning with my chaperone to collect the car, if their are teething problems and from other member's commets there is a likelyhood there would be some, fuelling etc, this puts the cost now up to £6,500, you then need to realise that the w58 box may not take on the extra loading etc, my local high tech garage and chris wilson say do not do it if you want reliability and logevity from your car.

Some members have gone down this route and give good reports, but they now have cars which stood them at say £4,000 and now they stand them at £10,500. ?

The bottom line for me is wether you are determined to convert your na and accept the cost and possible consequencies, i can see both sides of the argument and also can see that many members are tt orientated, the advantage they have is that they have the right basic car that has the potential for more performance options without the na concerns.

My marathon rant about the punters who sell these kits was based on me thinking i could buy a kit for £2,770, bolt it on and go, and some members still believe this, there are also usa kits that guarantee this for £750, i accept i got a bit pissed off with the situation and ruffled some feathers, but i think mnay members have said that the options and their real costs and shortcommings are now well established, IMHO and it is just a matter of choice in the end, what can you afford and is the tt route better. herbiemercman.

Not only are you continuing to take a pop at moderators, despite Branners politely asking you not to, but you are also wrong.

"you do not know me and you think you have shown bottle putting me down when most members are agreeing"

I haven't seen one person agree with you on here ...